Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
tortop45

Drives: 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
Rob you did my alignment and the cars drives great with my stock wheels but with my 22's the steering wheel feels sloppy/loose at high speed.
As ive said the factory front lower control bushes are to week and by fitting 22 inc wheels your just making it worse.I run stock 20'' wheels and could feel it with them!!!!
tortop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by n116ebo View Post
Wish I had an answer for you, but do not. I had my stock tires and rims up tp 136 mph one time and was really impressed how smooth the ride was, no vibration and good front end control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortop45 View Post
As ive said the factory front lower control bushes are to week and by fitting 22 inc wheels your just making it worse.I run stock 20'' wheels and could feel it with them!!!!
I have taken the car up to some good speed ( over 100mph) without a problem on stock wheels and on the 22's I had last year without a problem. For some reason my new set was giving me a problem.

tortop it's not because of the factory lower control bushes, maybe it will improve my handling but I am more than happy with my pedders setup.
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
hi my 2ss felt like that,its the front lower control arm bushes they are to far week for the job,get on to pfadt and use part no=1410113 ,cost about $95.00 .my car felt like that from new.now it feels safe !!!!!! the rack mounts are ok.
The OE front lower LCA OE bush is an excellant design. It is a steel jacketed bush with a barrel style ferule. It absolutely does not cuase the steering to be vague, nor is it weak.

This unique steel ferule is covered in a thin layer of rubber and encased in a steel jacket. It is a Very Good bush design. Pedders does not make a replacement bush for the lower inner front control arm because the OE bush is excellant. We could easily make a two part urethane bush, but why would we sell a part that doesn't require replacement?

The front radius arm bush is a steel jacketed gycol filled rubber bush. It does allow for more caster changer than we like which does make the steering feel less than precise. The radius bush can be addressed with inserts or full replacement bushes avail from Pedders and other quality vendors.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #18
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Quote:
Actually my 22's weigh less than stock wheels. But I think I know what the problem is gotta do some testing and will let you guys know.
Most 22" forged wheels balance like shit, especially the multi-piece ones. They just aren't perfectly round. Get them road-load balanced instead of spin balanced, and you might see a good improvement.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
tortop45

Drives: 2ss
Quote:
I have taken the car up to some good speed ( over 100mph) without a problem on stock wheels and on the 22's I had last year without a problem. For some reason my new set was giving me a problem.

tortop it's not because of the factory lower control bushes, maybe it will improve my handling but I am more than happy with my pedders setup.
hi, im not nocking pedders set up,but the kit youve fitted looks like its all rear end stuff,your problems up front,what you got to loose.any way how due no its not the front bushes???.
tortop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
hi, im not nocking pedders set up,but the kit youve fitted looks like its all rear end stuff,your problems up front,what you got to loose.any way how due no its not the front bushes???.
It is the hydraulic radius bush that is the 'money' bush in the front. GM redesigned the radius arm on the ZETA II Camaro. It uses a large hydraulically damped bush on one end and a ball joint on the other. The arm is more linear to deliver improved steering feel. Drivers that are tuned into their Camaro will notice slight softness in steering feel, the brake pedal and perhaps describe it as isolated. Pedders started early on and worked on a full urethane bush for a very special project with GM – the 2010 Camaro GS Race Car Concept shown at SEMA 2010. This video walks you through the OE and Pedders bushes with Jason Debler from http://www.camaroz28.com/

Replacing the hydraulically damped OEM radius rod bushes will help with steering and pedal feel. While the NVH properties are excellent, they are too soft for performance driving in our opinion. Pedders offers three solutions for this. The first option is a direct replacement street-friendly urethane insert for the OEM rubber bit. The firmer urethane insert removes some of the compliance in the bush improving brake pedal and steering feel. Using an EP6578 is as simple as removing two bolts, removing the soft OEM rubber insert, installing the Pedders urethane and bolting it back together. You may wonder if such a small part can make a difference in such a large automobile. You will be pleasantly surprised on their first test drive.

The full urethane bush replacement is Pedders EP6577 Camaro Urethane Steel Jacketed Radius Rod Bush. This is one robust bush with holes and voids designed to make our street friendly urethane mimic the NVH characteristics of the OEM bush with the performance of a urethane bush. If you track your car, the EP6577 will be the most durable solution. The inserts work to reduce motion, but the basic issue of the OEM bush remains -- it is hydraulically damped and can potentially fail on track. Pedders EP6577 is virtually indestructible on or off the track.

The third is an EP6579 full face Camaro Front Extreme Radius Rod Bush Insert replacing the soft OEM rubber insert with a very high durometer piece. The combination of bonded rubber ferrule steel jacketed bush with a full face high durometer urethane insert is outstanding. This solution is extremely firm and may lead to premature wear in the tie rod ends or the steering rack. This is the solution we have installed on the Pedders USA Camaro because we prefer the extra control. This is a hardcore option for the most demanding driver.

Seddon has already addressed his radius bushes. His OP mentions he has excellent results on his OE wheels and one set of 22s. We are trying to help him sort out why one set of 22s is fine and the other is not.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #21
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It is the hydraulic radius bush that is the 'money' bush in the front. GM redesigned the radius arm on the ZETA II Camaro. It uses a large hydraulically damped bush on one end and a ball joint on the other. The arm is more linear to deliver improved steering feel. Drivers that are tuned into their Camaro will notice slight softness in steering feel, the brake pedal and perhaps describe it as isolated. Pedders started early on and worked on a full urethane bush for a very special project with GM – the 2010 Camaro GS Race Car Concept shown at SEMA 2010. This video walks you through the OE and Pedders bushes with Jason Debler from http://www.camaroz28.com/

Replacing the hydraulically damped OEM radius rod bushes will help with steering and pedal feel. While the NVH properties are excellent, they are too soft for performance driving in our opinion. Pedders offers three solutions for this. The first option is a direct replacement street-friendly urethane insert for the OEM rubber bit. The firmer urethane insert removes some of the compliance in the bush improving brake pedal and steering feel. Using an EP6578 is as simple as removing two bolts, removing the soft OEM rubber insert, installing the Pedders urethane and bolting it back together. You may wonder if such a small part can make a difference in such a large automobile. You will be pleasantly surprised on their first test drive.

The full urethane bush replacement is Pedders EP6577 Camaro Urethane Steel Jacketed Radius Rod Bush. This is one robust bush with holes and voids designed to make our street friendly urethane mimic the NVH characteristics of the OEM bush with the performance of a urethane bush. If you track your car, the EP6577 will be the most durable solution. The inserts work to reduce motion, but the basic issue of the OEM bush remains -- it is hydraulically damped and can potentially fail on track. Pedders EP6577 is virtually indestructible on or off the track.

The third is an EP6579 full face Camaro Front Extreme Radius Rod Bush Insert replacing the soft OEM rubber insert with a very high durometer piece. The combination of bonded rubber ferrule steel jacketed bush with a full face high durometer urethane insert is outstanding. This solution is extremely firm and may lead to premature wear in the tie rod ends or the steering rack. This is the solution we have installed on the Pedders USA Camaro because we prefer the extra control. This is a hardcore option for the most demanding driver.

Seddon has already addressed his radius bushes. His OP mentions he has excellent results on his OE wheels and one set of 22s. We are trying to help him sort out why one set of 22s is fine and the other is not.
Great explaination!
My money is on the wheels, I never liked the 21's on my car. They were rough, and had a very "floaty feel to them at speed". At 37 psi, and given the have like and inch and a half of sidewall it is like driving on solid rubber! Yeah they look awsome, but you have to be willing to put up with the side effects. My guess is 22's would be even more a rock.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
seddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
Most 22" forged wheels balance like shit, especially the multi-piece ones. They just aren't perfectly round. Get them road-load balanced instead of spin balanced, and you might see a good improvement.
Maybe people you know had bad experiences but my wheels were road-load force balances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Great explaination!
My money is on the wheels, I never liked the 21's on my car. They were rough, and had a very "floaty feel to them at speed". At 37 psi, and given the have like and inch and a half of sidewall it is like driving on solid rubber! Yeah they look awsome, but you have to be willing to put up with the side effects. My guess is 22's would be even more a rock.
It was not the wheels and yeah 37psi is alot my wheel company recomended 35psi. My 22's ride almost as good as my stock 20's.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
seddon

Any how the reason for the loose/sloppy feel was a 3mm spacer that I installed. My wheel company told me not to just because of that. So my fitment is not 100% it's 95%.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #24
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
changing the offset will effect it, but i didn't think it would that much, thanks for the update.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
JusticePete

Do you have the option of not installing the spacer or will it rub something?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #26
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
Are your spacers and wheel hub centric?
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #27
seddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Do you have the option of not installing the spacer or will it rub something?
Pete the wheels fit fine I just wanted it to be super aggressive I wanted the front tire right at the edge of the fender. 3mm is almost nothing.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #28
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete the wheels fit fine I just wanted it to be super aggressive I wanted the front tire right at the edge of the fender. 3mm is almost nothing.
Great! Have you had a chance to try them with the spacer removed?