Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
tortop45

Drives: 2ss
Thumbs up how does your steering feel !!!!

why is it that most 5 gen camaro driver on here love to spend a small fortune on suspention mod to make there cars handle better when all you have to change is the front lower control arm bushes,coz factory ones are far to week for the job,forget the back axel bushes and roll bars,start with the most important bit the steering,which feels like its not connected and tram lines like mad .i fitted bushes made by pfadt what a diffarance thay made,now i can relax when driving,how did chevrolet miss this when developing this great car,from pete over here in the uk.
tortop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortop45 View Post
why is it that most 5 gen camaro driver on here love to spend a small fortune on suspention mod to make there cars handle better when all you have to change is the front lower control arm bushes,coz factory ones are far to week for the job,forget the back axel bushes and roll bars,start with the most important bit the steering,which feels like its not connected and tram lines like mad .i fitted bushes made by pfadt what a diffarance thay made,now i can relax when driving,how did chevrolet miss this when developing this great car,from pete over here in the uk.
It takes more than good steering to make this car handle as secure as it should bud. With better steering your car is still going to bob and wobble in different directions because of other soft bushings especially in the rear. Thanks for making it clear though how important the front bushings are. Now stop being cheap and get some sways in there , rear trailing arm bushings and toe link bushings at least and cradle bushings and really see how this car performs. 2 nights ago I destroyed a BMW 335 on straights as well as in extremely tight twisties. You should see how I humbled him . Bet he wished he had bought a CAMARO SS instead..
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The stock Original Equipment lower front control arm bush is a robust bush. It is a steel jacketed rubber bush with a unique ferule. The steel ferule has a hump in it as shown in this illustration.

This unique ferule is covered in a thin layer of rubber and encased in a steel jacket. It is a Very Good bush design and one I would not replace.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
Those are words to stand by. One piece I would change is the radius rod bushing inserts. When I installed them on my own personal car I felt a little stiffness in the steering and love the feel
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
+1 on the radius rod inserts
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
tortop45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The stock Original Equipment lower front control arm bush is a robust bush. It is a steel jacketed rubber bush with a unique ferule. The steel ferule has a hump in it as shown in this illustration.

This unique ferule is covered in a thin layer of rubber and encased in a steel jacket. It is a Very Good bush design and one I would not replace.
I wish i had,nt have to of changed these bushes but i could,nt live with them,are roads over here have camber on them which just makes it worse,don,t live in denial these factory bushes are to week,just p ed of i had to change them on a new car,i bet your bottom dollar the ones on the new ZL1 will be diffarant .
Old 06-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortop45 View Post
Glad to see that you're really happy with the increased response from our front lower control arm bushings! We run them on all of our Camaros, and the increase in steering response and braking feel is really a night and day difference. It's not that GM missed something in the design, but were really tailoring the Camaro for a wide audience. These bushings were installed on the GMPP/Pfadt Racing/Pratt and Miller Camaro SSX, and are GMPP certified. That means they can be purchased and installed at your local Chevy dealer.

Lets not discount the benefits of changing items in the rear subframe, there are some major gains to be had all over the Camaro. Thankfully the chassis is of sturdy enough design that the pieces we build do show big improvements!

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
tortop45

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
It takes more than good steering to make this car handle as secure as it should bud. With better steering your car is still going to bob and wobble in different directions because of other soft bushings especially in the rear. Thanks for making it clear though how important the front bushings are. Now stop being cheap and get some sways in there , rear trailing arm bushings and toe link bushings at least and cradle bushings and really see how this car performs. 2 nights ago I destroyed a BMW 335 on straights as well as in extremely tight twisties. You should see how I humbled him . Bet he wished he had bought a CAMARO SS instead..
ok ok hay theres a recession on over here,and petrol or gas as you call it at £1.34 a litre five of them make a gallon ive got to save up for the other bits,glad to here your kicking the bmw,s of the streets
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
WOW....$6.70 a gallon. Probably will be us in a few years.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
camaro34

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
its more like $9.40 a gallon because if the exchange rate.
camaro34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
WOW....$6.70 a gallon. Probably will be us in a few years.
Ha its just about $1.1 per gallon where I live, and it hasn't changed in years.
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
im pretty sure it is 3.79 litres to a gallon
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
Those are words to stand by. One piece I would change is the radius rod bushing inserts. When I installed them on my own personal car I felt a little stiffness in the steering and love the feel
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
+1 on the radius rod inserts
He got he pedders radius rod inserts and he drives the worst roads in ny, the staten island expressway. I'm glad you are happy with them!
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote