Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #29
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
found the link

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-ccb-s.html

Since CCW Corsair and BC Racing RZ39 have the similar designs (like the Forgeline GA1R pictured below) I think they may also work. It's a good idea to contact with the manufacturer, if being able to fit 18" wheels is important in the future. They're not cheap of course
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #30
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post

The fact the you find the OEMs are more sufficient than the ST43s makes me question your assesment on the pads themselves
Totally legit.

I am certain that I do not push as hard as you or Ryan or others. My DTCs lasted me this entire season and I only went through two sets of OEM tires.

I will resume shutting up and learning something every time I read this forum.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #31
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Totally legit.

I am certain that I do not push as hard as you or Ryan or others. My DTCs lasted me this entire season and I only went through two sets of OEM tires.

I will resume shutting up and learning something every time I read this forum.
I didn't mean to imply anything like that, sorry if it sounded that way:/
Old 11-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #32
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
I didn't mean to imply anything like that, sorry if it sounded that way:/
I was trying to be light-hearted. Tone in txt is sometimes lost. 👍

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #33
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I'm always open to new information. If you find the link please post it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Pretty sure 18's wont fit. The 19's on the ZL1-1LE's fitment is so tight you can't easity fit a microfiber towel between the caliper and the wheel barrel. The calipers placement and the 20mm larger front rotors look very very tight in 19's. If you find info on fitting 18's, please do post.
Hmm, given this feedback I'm going to have to assume I'm miss-remembering. Not the first time that's happened

Quote:
If you are referring to 18" Apex PS7s, I'll tell you right away it's not happening. Our rotors are 14.6" and ZL1s are 15.4", it's a very tight fitment already

I heard that there are some custom 18" forged wheels (CCWs as far as I can remember) which clear the 15.5" CCBs that come with the Z07 package because of the arm design of the wheels, no first hand experience though
I wasn't specifically referring to PS-7's, but now I'm confused. Are you saying the interference point is on the wheel face/spokes? I would have assumed it's on the barrel.

When I throw my 18's on next I'll try an grab a measurement at the closes point on the caliper to the barrel and see how much there is.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #34
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I was trying to be light-hearted. Tone in txt is sometimes lost. 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
Hmm, given this feedback I'm going to have to assume I'm miss-remembering. Not the first time that's happened

I wasn't specifically referring to PS-7's, but now I'm confused. Are you saying the interference point is on the wheel face/spokes? I would have assumed it's on the barrel.

When I throw my 18's on next I'll try an grab a measurement at the closes point on the caliper to the barrel and see how much there is.
Hmm, on a second thought you may be right. Since the spokes already clear on the PS7s I don't think it would be an issue with the larger diameter and if the barrels are no different maybe it can also clear the ZL1 kit then (if the aftermarket one clears the CCBs)

I might be wrong though. I was thinking my fitment and the pictures you posted on this post:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...96#post9976196
Old 11-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #35
TheMaGikDucK

Drives: 2016 1SS
try adding cooling? I saw someone on here a while ago w2w racing with SS calipers. They ran a ducting from the front vents to the rotor (they did also remove some other stuff). May be worth a shot before you buy a whole new setup.

Also, as some have mentioned, you may want try a higher temp pad as well.

Sometimes though, you just want to buy yourself something nice :p . You will get better pedal feel out of a bigger caliper. Id personally choose the 1LE setup, to have an easier time using 18 inch wheels.
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #36
RXtacy

Quote:
Hmm, on a second thought you may be right. Since the spokes already clear on the PS7s I don't think it would be an issue with the larger diameter and if the barrels are no different maybe it can also clear the ZL1 kit then (if the aftermarket one clears the CCBs)

I might be wrong though. I was thinking my fitment and the pictures you posted on this post:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...96#post9976196
Those pics are somewhat misleading due to the angle. There is more clearance than it appears.

This peaked my curiosity so I threw my 18" PS-7's on tonight to check. There's tons of room to the spokes 2-3". The caliper to barrel clearance seem to be ~3/4". If the ZL1 brakes are .8" farther out than it probably won't clear. Though it's so close that a different wheel with a slightly larger barrel ID might work.

Last edited by RXtacy; 11-22-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #37
glamcem

Pictures don't work again
Old 11-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Odd, because they were working for me maybe an hour ago, but not now.

Norm
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #39
RXtacy

Quote:
Pictures don't work again
Oh goddammit! I'm about done with google photos.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #40
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
Oh goddammit! I'm about done with google photos.
I said the same but once I get used to it, it's pretty good actually

Going back to subject, thanks for the pictures I should've done this when I test fitted the ps7 s
Old 11-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
7:30 AM and they're working just fine again. If the ID of the barrel has any taper to it, which I can't tell, there may be slightly less than 3/4" somewhere.

You might try uploading them to an album on your control panel right here on Camaro6, and linking to them. Click on the picture you want to post and two link options will be at the bottom of the page - copy the one with the 'img' tags and post it directly into your post (easier with two Camaro5/Camaro6 windows open). Perhaps the trickiest part of the whole procedure is remembering to hit the 'Save Changes' button on the upload. Even a technological caveman like me has never had problems with pictures not showing as long as I don't move them from one album to another.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks.

Norm
Old 11-24-2017, 12:54 AM   #42
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Have you actually read the whole thread?
It's explained many times in that thread why his experience was different than other people who had fantastic results with them (due to driving style).

I did use many "good" pads and I find the ST series much better than the others for track use, all things considered.
Cem, what exactly do you mean "it has been explained many times..." this was due to my driving style? Where the heck do you get this from? I'd respectfully suggest you re-read my responses in this thread. And why would you keep recommending pads you don't use yourself on the 1LE? Pads that you have admitted to getting fade on? Like I said, they might work just fine at some venues which permit proper cooling. Some may like them but it all depends on variables involved.

I am absolutely with Mathew: at 5 different venues the stock pads worked great for me: great rotor wear, zero fade, last 5 days and stop the car just fine. And unlike you I don't run "cooling laps" in a middle of any sessions as groups that I run with don't permit such behaviour. I welcome responses as to why anyone may think they are somehow "inferior". High torque does not define how good a pad is for HPDE! Heat generation, longevity and rotor wear does.

To the OP: before you blow big $ changing a whole system, try different pads as ST43 throws a ton of heat IMO. Much more then any other pad I've tried. If you wish to stick to ST family, ask Cem what he runs and try it. BTW what track(s) do you run at? They may have a lot to do with the type of pad that will work best for ya. Or try Hawk as recommended above: haven't heard any negative
responses about them either. Having said that, if $ is no object, do upgrade to 1LE so you can run inexpensive 18 Apex rims. But be careful what pads you stick on as your problem may return
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote