Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-11-2017, 03:29 AM   #1
Johnny108

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2ss Hyper Metallic
My Camaro Curse

Ok everybody, this is going to be a long story but please bare with me.. So I just bought a brand new 2017 2ss on August 28th. The car worked fine for about 3 days. After the 3rd day it just completely died on me. I went to go start the car like normal and it just shut off after about 2 seconds of start up. So I ended having to wait 30 minutes until I finally get it to turn on. Only thing now is that it's throwing up a check engine light. I call OnStar and they tell me there's something wrong with my transmission, fuel management system and communication system. I end up taking it to my dealer the next day and they keep it for a whole week. When they finally call me that its ready I go down to the dealer (mind you it's about an hour drive with traffic) and tell me why as soon as I get there the service manager tells me. I'm sorry sir, your car won't start. You're going to have to come back another day. At this point I just want it to get fixed so I go back 2 days later when the manager tells me he is positive everything is fixed. I pick it up and take it home and again about 2 hours after I get home I get ready to take off and of course, my car won't start and the check engine light pops up again. this was over the weekend so my dealer was closed. I am going to be taking it in today in the morning as soon as they open. The only thing is that I'm going to have to get it towed because it still won't turn on. I call this my Camaro Curse because this is actually my 2nd Camaro in a year. I bought a 2016 RS last year and it also had similar problems. I ended up going through the lemon law for that car and getting a settlement. But what is driving me crazy is that I can't believe both cars I bought have lemons. I guess I'm just trying to get any advice or input. I'm hoping I can convince the dealer to to a lemon law exchange seeing as I have had the car for 2 weeks and it's been in service for over a week. Anyways, let me know if you had any advice. Thanks!
Johnny108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
NightSkyCode
Owned gen 4, 5 and 6

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Stop buying chevy... I love my Camaro but truth is QC is out the window with our new cars. They did a poor job.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Camaro_7888

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyCode View Post
Stop buying chevy... I love my Camaro but truth is QC is out the window with our new cars. They did a poor job.
100% Agree about QC!
Camaro_7888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Hopefully, they'll get it right this time. If you want to drive a V8, you'll have to stay with GM, Ford, or Dodge. I don't think the alternatives are known for being overall any better. GM beat them on the JD Power survey.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
OP, go to a different dealership, or put in a new battery. Problem solved.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 AM   #7
Johnny108

Hey guys thanks for the replies. So here's an update, I'm taking the car in today again after another unsuccessful repair attempt. Only this time the car feels way worse. The car is making a weird knocking noise when I shift from reverse to drive. It's also giving off a burning smell. I got OnStar to send me all the codes it is throwing up and will show it to the dealer. I'm taking it first thing in the morning when they open and letting them know that they must either return my money or exchange the car because honestly I don't feel safe or comfortable driving it.

And they have already replaced the battery twice, and the ECM as well. I'm hoping to get some answers tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
ugxvibe
GM Transmission Tech

Check for a rubbed through wire harness below/behind the drive belt just above the steering rack. There is a bulletin regarding this.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Johnny108

Bad news again, so I'm at the dealer. Apparently my car likes to be on his best behavior when I take it here. It's running fine and the check engine light is off. the funny thing is when I take it home it decides to not work. They're telling me there's nothing they can do. I just decided to contact my lemon law attorney because I'm just wasting my time with this dealer.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
ugxvibe
GM Transmission Tech

Did they check that harness I posted about? There is a bulletin and it includes stalling and various other symptoms.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #11
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
Do us in CA a favor, name the dealer. Thanks.
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
Johnny108

Simspson Chevy of Garden Grove. They were great up until about they had to take responsibility that they sold me a lemon. I spoke to the manager today and he basically told me that he was sorry but there is nothing they can do. He then gave me the gm customer service number. I am beyond frustrated. I just do not want to wait another 6 -7 months to get a new car. What's frustrating is that they have replicated the problem already but because they cannot replicate it again they are saying there is nothing they can do.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #13
Johnny108

So these are the updated problems as of today:

P0700 The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Transmission System that transfers power from the engine to the drive wheels. You may experience reduced power or shifting issues.If the vehicle is continually driven with the check engine light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, and the engine might not run as smoothly. This could lead to future repairs.

U0100 The vehicle communication system is not performing as expected.

u0073 An issue has been detected in the Engine and Transmission System.SERVICE WITHIN 7 DAYS

p2544 The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Transmission System that transfers power from the engine to the drive wheels. You may experience reduced power or shifting issues.If the vehicle is continually driven with the check engine light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, and the engine might not run as smoothly. This could lead to future repairs..SERVICE WITHIN 7 DAYS

In addition: When the car does have the check engine light on it, i can feel the car shake. I also hear a knocking noise when shifting from P to R to D. there is also a strong burning smell coming from the front of the car.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #14
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
The dealer should be asking for a GM field rep to get involved, assisting the dealer with a diagnosis. They need to drop it back on GM since they built the car!
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel management, lemon law, transmission