Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
adamsafe

Drives: 2014 2SS Manual Vert
Brembo Squeaks on SS

My rear (passenger side, primarily) breaks squeaks from 10mph-0mph on mild stops. Dealer has twice dis/re-assembled to no avail and most recently told me a GM bulletin exists saying this is typical of Brembo brakes on '10-'14 models.

TBH this stinks, particularly with the top down. Has anyone come up with a solid solution or work around? Not particularly interested in washing the dust off every few days, even if that works. Bulletin says to glaze the brakes with a hard stop for temporary fix, but again, this is not a long term solution.

Is it possible to swap the Brembos for something else at a reasonable price.

Major bummer.
adamsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Poke around some of the posts on here where people have changed to different brands of pads to avoid the dust and squealing.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Mike14bumblebee

Drives: 2014 yellow 2SS/RS
My brakes did the same thing. Dealer deglazed and re-chambered the stock pads. Hasn't squeezed since and it's been 10 000 km since. Have 25 000 on stock pads and rotors so far.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Performance brakes make noise and dust.

Braking is friction. Friction is heat. When the brake pad is clamped against the rotor the friction creates heat and dust. The dust is part pad and part rotor. The harder the pad, the more squeal you will experience. The harder pads are also known as performance pads.

The OE pads on the 5th Gen are an excellent combination for daily driver durability and high performance braking power. If you install a pad that makes less dust and noise, you have also installed a pad that will not stop as well. Some will say they are not race car drivers and don't need optimal braking. I say, you never know when you might. When you are distracted and need to stand on the brakes, when inches make the difference between an accident and a close call. Or when a child darts into the street chasing a ball...

You can apply anti squeal paste to the back of the pad and that will help or you can embrace what enthusiasts recognize as the song of excellent performance brakes.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 AM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You can apply anti squeal paste to the back of the pad and that will help or you can embrace what enthusiasts recognize as the song of excellent performance brakes.
Ha. When I hear my brakes squeal and whine I just pretend I have racing brakes on. I know what's up and that's all that matters
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #6
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Guaranteed fix, 15" rear wheel conversion.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
per my sig....everything on the car brake wise stock when bought and she squealed like a frikin stuck pig! Fast forward to several months ago(had the car 1yr+) and did a complete brake bleed using Dot4 and replaced all pads and caliper HW with a premium semi-metallic from the local parts store(I do not track the car)....ZERO squeal unless rotors got wet and rusted and then only until they clean off...and ZERO probs stopping in a hurry(100 to 0 and your lunch is on the dash) or repeatedly(back roads r fun!) good luck OP! peace out...
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
per my sig....everything on the car brake wise stock when bought and she squealed like a frikin stuck pig! Fast forward to several months ago(had the car 1yr+) and did a complete brake bleed using Dot4 and replaced all pads and caliper HW with a premium semi-metallic from the local parts store(I do not track the car)....ZERO squeal unless rotors got wet and rusted and then only until they clean off...and ZERO probs stopping in a hurry(100 to 0 and your lunch is on the dash) or repeatedly(back roads r fun!) good luck OP! peace out...
You think you eliminated the squeal. You did and also reduced your emergency braking capability. Tracking the car has nothing to do with an emergency stop on the street.

Less Noise = Less Stopping Power
Less Dust = Less Stopping Power
Old 05-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:

Braking is friction. Friction is heat. When the brake pad is clamped against the rotor the friction creates heat and dust. The dust is part pad and part rotor. The harder the pad, the more squeal you will experience. The harder pads are also known as performance pads.

The OE pads on the 5th Gen are an excellent combination for daily driver durability and high performance braking power. If you install a pad that makes less dust and noise, you have also installed a pad that will not stop as well. Some will say they are not race car drivers and don't need optimal braking. I say, you never know when you might. When you are distracted and need to stand on the brakes, when inches make the difference between an accident and a close call. Or when a child darts into the street chasing a ball...

Succinct and to the point ^. I have never had a squeal issue with the OEM brakes on my 14, front or rear, and have assembled and disassembled them a couple of times pre and post track. Hate to say you may have to live with it, but how about stripping them down yourself, cleaning everything up, and maybe installing new OEM's to see if that makes a difference.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:

Always appreciate Pete's candor and common sense approach. I always try to use the same theory in my advice. ..but sadly, I dont carry the same weight
Preach on brother!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Always appreciate Pete's candor and common sense approach. I always try to use the same theory in my advice. ..but sadly, I dont carry the same weight
Preach on brother!
I need more weight. Care to join me?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
I need more weight. Care to join me?
Ha! belly weight I can porbably help you with Training these new kids the ways of the force....different story.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #13
adamsafe

Drives: 2014 2SS Manual Vert
Dealer finally stepped up...

One day before my warranty expired, and only after I asked to elevate this to a GM rep, the dealer offered to put new pads on rear. Warned it wouldn't solve the problem, but it did (2500 miles into it). So far so good.
adamsafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, brembo, squeak