Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-28-2016, 03:04 AM   #15
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Getting people to fork over $200 that enables you to spend more on gas every month. I give the inventor mad credit for convincing people thats a good thing.

I dont notice it 1 bit on my 2016 V8 and it improves gas mileage 6-8% overall. It ONLY pops on when you are cruising and the sec you hit the peddle, its off again. Its also off at a dead stop so you can have all 8 cylinders when you want to race to the next stoplight.

Not all of us race 100% of the time in the city, so having it drop to 4cyl is a plus. Large-displacement engines are highly inefficient under steady driving anyways. Ever wonder why some of the quickest cars have V6 engines with turbos?....far more efficient.

Not about to chuck $200 on an AFM delete device that drains battery or that I need to remember to turn off with a switch EVERY time I get out of the car - IMO that would be super irritating for a DD.

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 08-29-2016 at 12:21 AM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #16
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Either I possibly got a lemon or the V8's are perfected as far as the AFM is concerned. All I'm gonna say is I'm HAPPY with what I'm receiving for the $200. My V6 is a real V6 ALL the time now I notice it and love it each and every day. Not s day goes by where I don't realize it and wish I never bought it. As a side note, I've never once turned it off since its been installed for months now so you can just assume all you want Disturbed because you don't know what you're talking about. To each his own. V6 owners seem to be the most satisfied with the AFM disabler.
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I stopped using my Range on my SS, CEL's kept coming up...and yes I have the latest FW for my Range, confirmed with the company. Not really needed with the V8, not noticeable really at all.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #18
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Have never had a single CEL with my Range on the v6 in 4000 miles.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:25 AM   #19
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
Either I possibly got a lemon or the V8's are perfected as far as the AFM is concerned. All I'm gonna say is I'm HAPPY with what I'm receiving for the $200. My V6 is a real V6 ALL the time now I notice it and love it each and every day. Not s day goes by where I don't realize it and wish I never bought it. As a side note, I've never once turned it off since its been installed for months now so you can just assume all you want Disturbed because you don't know what you're talking about. To each his own. V6 owners seem to be the most satisfied with the AFM disabler.
Forums are littered with range dead battery complaints, so was basing it on others experience. I dont have a V6, hence why I didnt mention them a single time in my post. I know exactly what Im talking about otherwise I dont waste time posting.

Range device may be a great item, but Im sure as hell not wasting $200 when I can buy a tuner for $200 more and totally transform the car - along with AFM, which I wont.

V6 owners - you should all buy a $200 range device and kill as many MPG's from your car as possible- or - floor it all the time and that will also delete AFM from the equation. Just here to help.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #20
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
Getting people to fork over $200 that enables you to spend more on gas every month. I give the inventor mad credit for convincing people thats a good thing.

I
Not about to chuck $200 on an AFM delete device that drains battery or that I need to remember to turn off with a switch EVERY time I get out of the car - IMO that would be super irritating for a DD.

You may disable AFM if you ever had a GM engine turned into an oil burner due to AFM and poor PVC design. And include lifter failure in the mix.

GM has a repair procedure out covering 5 model yrs of AFM/PVC oil soak of the rings issue. It covered new valve cover and oil pan baffle design, ring cleaning soak and piston/rings replacement. How would you like your engine torn down for piston replacement?

The AFM is a complex design of oil channels and special lifters design to make the AFM work. On top of this I do not believe/trust that GM has the oil soak /clogging of the rings issue from the PVC and AFM design fixed. On the 5.3s the issue did not show up tell about 30-50,000 miles, give or take.

They added some sort of catch can to the new Camaro. Each can choose but I would still add a catch can (down stream if possible) from that can AND disable AFM on any GM engine with such. Tune or range is your choice.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
You may disable AFM if you ever had a GM engine turned into an oil burner due to AFM and poor PVC design. And include lifter failure in the mix.

GM has a repair procedure out covering 5 model yrs of AFM/PVC oil soak of the rings issue. It covered new valve cover and oil pan baffle design, ring cleaning soak and piston/rings replacement. How would you like your engine torn down for piston replacement?

The AFM is a complex design of oil channels and special lifters design to make the AFM work. On top of this I do not believe/trust that GM has the oil soak /clogging of the rings issue from the PVC and AFM design fixed. On the 5.3s the issue did not show up tell about 30-50,000 miles, give or take.

They added some sort of catch can to the new Camaro. Each can choose but I would still add a catch can (down stream if possible) from that can AND disable AFM on any GM engine with such. Tune or range is your choice.
Thank you for that post... I just remembered my 5.3L Tahoe still needs AFM turned off and is now out of warranty. I'll hook my HP Tuners up to it next week and turn that crap off.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #22
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post

AFM does have a history of what you described, plus past oil burn issues. Its ONLY there because of federally mandated MPG numbers otherwise GM wouldnt add the cost and complexity otherwise.

I just had my SS custom tuned and AFM was turned off (even though I didnt ask for it). I do notice its missing that very subtle shake when it prior went into 4 cyl. mode. So for now Im "married" to a disabled AFM.

Boils down to possible future mechanical issues vs spending less at the pump. I was pro for keeping it, but talking with a couple of GM service managers recently and Ford techs who are gear heads (I know its a GM technology), they seem to think the cons outweigh the pros.

I can imagine its super annoying on a 6cyl Camaro, although I dont have any first hand knowledge. Still think its a waste to spend $200 on an item specific device instead of spending $200 more for a tuner and a super set of controllable features. If you dont like flashing the ECU, then range is your only safe option.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #23
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #24
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Again, Not my experience on the v6...3000+ miles and never a single CEL, or limp mode, or anything whatsoever , just AFM defeat.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #25
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It doesn't go into v4 at stop lights because it doesn't have enough horsepower to get away from the light Safely, according to their tests… That was written up somewhere on the Corvette forum by a GM guy last year.
I still dont get this. They can manufacture cars that turn the engine off completely and restart the engine at stop lights so quick that you barely notice but they cant make an engine flip from V4 - V8 when you take your foot off the brake when a light turns green? Ive driven so many rental cars that have stop/start and most are so seemless that the only thing you notice is the shake from the engine cranking up.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:39 AM   #26
PWPhoto

Drives: ‘21 2SS 1LE
Not really an AFM question, but does have to do with the accelerator. When i do a quick press on the throttle, like to quick rev at a "stang", my throttle doesnt rev immediately like all my other cars have. I already have the fix for that, but it's the second part that it does after that that is irking me to death. After it does rev and start to come back down it goes back up on it's own and holds rpm's up for a few seconds before coming back down. I "assume" the transmission is down shifting and then upshifting again once it realizes I wasn't actually "laying in to it to go"? If this is the case, does anyone know how I can stop it from doing it without driving in manual all the time? I do have an A8 SS btw. I have a throttle controller already. Will be installing it very soon.

Last edited by PWPhoto; 10-30-2016 at 12:59 AM.
PWPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #27
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWPhoto View Post
Not really an AFM question, but does have to do with the accelerator. When i do a quick press on the throttle, like to quick rev at a "stang", my throttle doesnt rev immediately like all my other cars have. I already have the fix for that, but it's the second part that it does after that that is irking me to death. After it does rev and start to come back down it goes back up on it's own and holds rpm's up for a few seconds before coming back down. I "assume" the transmission is down shifting and then upshifting again once it realizes I wasn't actually "laying in to it to go"? If this is the case, does anyone know how I can stop it from doing it without driving in manual all the time? I do have an A8 SS btw. I have a throttle controller already. Will be installing it very soon.
Interested in this as well. Noticed if you try to 'rev' the engine you cant really rev it a second time in the A8 (you cant blip the throttle) because of that lag.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #28
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekirk2 View Post
Interested in this as well. Noticed if you try to 'rev' the engine you cant really rev it a second time in the A8 (you cant blip the throttle) because of that lag.
Search around in here. Someone mentioned that our cars won't allow the revving as a safety feature. Don't know if that's really true but it's on here somewhere.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afm, transmission