Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
tommyh4

Drives: 2010 Equinox LF1 V6
Talking New V6 Brake Upgrade option.

Do you have a V6 and want to upgrade your brakes? I recently discovered a new cheap option!

Go on Ebay and search: "ATS Brembos"

there are many under $300 options that include pads and hardware.

these 4 Piston calipers are designed for the V6 smaller rotors and bolt up without major modification. I only had to trim my dust shield, and reuse the identical mounting hardware from the 1 Piston caliper.
tommyh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Did they make a substantial difference?
Reason i ask is part of a brake upgrade is usually larger diameter rotors, functions like a bigger lever and greater swept area.
I'm thinking hard about upgrading my V6 front brakes in some way.

V6 rotor dia = 12.6"
SS rotor dia = 14"
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #3
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh4 View Post
Do you have a V6 and want to upgrade your brakes? I recently discovered a new cheap option!

Go on Ebay and search: "ATS Brembos"

there are many under $300 options that include pads and hardware.

these 4 Piston calipers are designed for the V6 smaller rotors and bolt up without major modification. I only had to trim my dust shield, and reuse the identical mounting hardware from the 1 Piston caliper.
That looks like a great idea. Do you have a DIY guide to follow? Is there a noticeable difference?

I have been wanting to upgrade my brakes for a long time but I have to make sure everything is going to be flawless because I will buy parts and install them overseas.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
tommyh4

Drives: 2010 Equinox LF1 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
That looks like a great idea. Do you have a DIY guide to follow? Is there a noticeable difference?

I have been wanting to upgrade my brakes for a long time but I have to make sure everything is going to be flawless because I will buy parts and install them overseas.
The Brembo calipers actually cover more area (100%)of the rotor, as the stock single pistons do not grab the innermost surface of the rotor.

Just unbolt your old calipers, and replace with the ATS calipers with the brembo pads, they use the same bolts, brake lines, etc. you may have to trim your dust shield slightly. then bleed your brakes with the new calipers. buy a set with the pads already installed from the vehicle it came off of for even less steps.
tommyh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I paid less than that for some Brembos, so I don't see what the benefit would be except if you wanted the smaller rotors. If so, then why upgrade? The V6 brakes are adequate for 99% of the people who have these cars.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
I paid less than that for some Brembos, so I don't see what the benefit would be except if you wanted the smaller rotors. If so, then why upgrade? The V6 brakes are adequate for 99% of the people who have these cars.
Single piston calipers suck the big one . The sliders eventually rust and then the calipers really start sucking . As you know with your 6 piston Brembos the calipers grab both sides the 4 piston works the same way No sliding parts to rust other than the pistons themselves which you normally don't need to worry about .

I like the Idea of the 4 piston Brembos . And its a nice upgrade with out breaking the bank because you don't need to potentially buy new rims to make them fit .

OP do you know if the 18" Heritage steel wheels clear the 4 pot Brembos ?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
VTSummit

I've had dozens of cars with single piston calipers and they didn't have any problems.
The steel wheels won't fit with the Brembos without a massive spacer.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:44 AM   #8
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
I am still holding off, but am very tempted. I have already invested in better rotors and stainless brake lines.

With the smaller cost of the ATS brakes and the fact that I can reuse all of my other performance parts it is really looking good. I still want to see some more facts...

I occasionally take my car to the track and last time my transmission over heated before my brakes did, but I was getting A LOT of fade and having to brake a lot harder and earlier after just a few laps. Will these callipers do anything to improve this? Or will it just give me a better brake feel, which is something I have been trying to do since I got my Camaro.

The Brembo website also says they are aluminium. Are they lighter than the stock V6 callipers? I also read they are manufactured in the US, is that also true?
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
I bought a full front/rear set of SS Brembo's, pads, and rotors, for under $400 shipped.

Best thing you can do right there!
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
VTSummit

The bigger Brembo set from an SS or CTS-V will help resolve fade by letting you run better larger rotors. Once you get drilled or slotted rotors, you're reducing the rotor surface area- which is like running a smaller rotor. That's why you go BIG if you want to run slotted/drilled.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
polizzio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
I am still holding off, but am very tempted. I have already invested in better rotors and stainless brake lines.

With the smaller cost of the ATS brakes and the fact that I can reuse all of my other performance parts it is really looking good. I still want to see some more facts...

I occasionally take my car to the track and last time my transmission over heated before my brakes did, but I was getting A LOT of fade and having to brake a lot harder and earlier after just a few laps. Will these callipers do anything to improve this? Or will it just give me a better brake feel, which is something I have been trying to do since I got my Camaro.

The Brembo website also says they are aluminium. Are they lighter than the stock V6 callipers? I also read they are manufactured in the US, is that also true?
I hope you got your trans fluid flushed/replaced after the overheating because that's about the worst you can do to a auto tranny.....overheat it.

After all the research and reading for few days here and on line, I think the best impact and least costly upgrade path for us V6 owners is to purchase the complete V8 camaro brembo brake system and install it. Guys have purchased low mileage used SS systems (rotors, calipers, pads, and brake lines) for as little as $500. (the rear dust/debris shield either needs to be cut for clearance, or replaced with the SS piece, better to replace it imo)

Then you move to 14" front, 14.4" rear rotor diameter and the 4 piston Brembo calipers. By comparison, V6 rotor dia is 12.6" front 12" rear.
And its all bolt on. There are pages and pages of posts here on camaro5 about this swap, great useful info.

And there are other more expense options too. 6 piston brembo calipers from the Cadillac CTS-V are available on ebay, which use a 15.4" front rotor. No doubt this is even a more powerful option but its going to cost you more than $1000 for just the complete front setup. And they look way cool too.
Really not a bad deal, GM building several heavy high powered vehicles gives us viable options.

I think purchasing the caddy 4 piston caliper and bolting it on V6 12.6" front rotor will give you some measurable improvement, but not nearly what the 14" rotor, 4 piston SS caliper will do for you. Members here who have done the full SS brake upgrade front and rear refer to it as "night and day difference" versus their former stock V6 brakes.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #12
polizzio

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
I bought a full front/rear set of SS Brembo's, pads, and rotors, for under $400 shipped.

Best thing you can do right there!
Excellent advise......I was busy typing with 2 fingers...LOL
Old 12-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
polizzio

here is a great article on upgrading braking system to ZL1 system I ran across this morning. It also has test data, before and after. From SS to ZL1 brake upgrade. So to do this upgrade to the V6 models would yield superb results.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-st...-track-camaro/

Article also has info about proper bedding procedures of new brake pads, which is great info for any pad replacement.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
VTSummit

I got used SS front calipers and rebuilt and painted them, got new CTV rear calipers for $100/ea from the dealer and painted to match. Goodridge stainless lines and high end aftermarket rotors- all in, I have maybe $700 in the whole setup and LOVE it. It truly is night and day difference. Only drawback is my donut spare- if I have a flat on the front I have to move a rear wheel to the front and use spare on the back to get home. No huge deal. I don't like to run without a spare since there's no cell service in many places I go.
Also carry a plug kit and fix-a-flat too.
My 18" wheels with snow tires now won't fit at all, so gotta sell those off and just had some 19" snows for some 2LT wheels ordered since those 19's fit over Brembos.

Tags
ats, brakes, brembo, cts