Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #267
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot
 
crysalis_01's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
They don't tax on cylinder count, they tax on displacement.
Some countries are moving away from this practice. Like Germany, as of 2009 I think now base road tax on emissions. Ireland and Spain May have also moved to this type of taxation...I looked this up for a previous discussion but don't have the info (and I'm too lazy to look it up again) now.
__________________
'03 SVT Cobra-SC4.6L V8 || modded with mods'n'stuff
crysalis_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #268
2010-1SS-IBM

 
Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I am awake and having worked there Al is just one voice in who determines what powertrains go into that car. He can't just make s&*t up as he wants. He has corporate goals for FE, Safety, Emissions, and profitability he has to deliver on. He reports to a pretty solid guy I worked with on several programs who has all RWD performance cars, not just Camaro. That position is EXECUTIVE Chief Engineer. He gets a bigger say.

Here is the quote, “We’re not following Ford”, Oppenheiser told AG during the 2013 SEMA show. “As long as they’ll pay me to be the chief engineer, I’m going to fight for every horsepower I can and every cylinder I can,” he said.

Fighting for every HP and Cylinder you can doesn't scream there will not be a 4 cylinder. When he says not copy Ford, do you suppose he meant they might not have the 4 cylinder be a premium engine over the V6? Ford's 4 cylinder turbo is an upgrade engine over the V6.

So we shall see and you may be correct. But the cards have been dealt. But you are reading the headline, not the quotes from Al. His quotes have a lot of wiggle room.
I'm reading what he said a lot more accurately than everyone who's sure that there will be a 4 cylinder Camaro.

I could also go into why the 4 cylinder won't necessarily be better than a 6 cylinder, but frankly no one is listening.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:38 AM   #269
2010-1SS-IBM

 
Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Please....stop implying and then acting like it is fact. There may or may not be a 4 cylinder Camaro, but you can't make any definitive assumptions based on what he said.

Why *some* of the V8 owners have their undies so pent up in a wad over this....I don't understand it. BUY THE DAMN V8 AND FORGET IT.
I didn't imply anything, I read what he said and linked it. And the V8 crowd is not as vociferous as the 4 cylinder crowd, so...
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #270
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 10,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
I'm reading what he said a lot more accurately than everyone who's sure that there will be a 4 cylinder Camaro.

I could also go into why the 4 cylinder won't necessarily be better than a 6 cylinder, but frankly no one is listening.
everyone is listening. It's a great topic.

Re read everything BUT the headline. Nowhere is Al quoted as saying, "there will not be a 4 cylinder in the Camaro".

You are "interpreting", not reading more accurately, that he is saying that. All he said was, "I will fight for.....".

I agree, you can read that 2 ways. I am only asking that you realize it isn't his final decision regardless of what is in the article.

As I said, you may be right. There are a ton of people who hope you are.

Government pressures and a 32 MPG Mustang will make it be a heavy consideration. If he can get equal or better FE from a future V6 that no one knows about (i.e. Buick Show car from Detroit). It may not even be needed. Wouldn't that be cool.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #271
"MAC"
 
Drives: 2001 WS6 and 02 Z71
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
And I was saying not a good comparison because ppl don't think of a V8 when you think luxury! So therefore most won't care how small of a engine it has!
What are you talking about? Audi has a plethora of V8 vehicles and guess what they are top dog luxury in the Mercedes vs BMW vs Audi also BMW and Mercedes still have v8 vehicles. Cadillac still has v8 vehicles. An engine has nothing to do with a car being luxurious or not. Its the company and every luxury company i know of has different engines some have 4cylinders and others have w16 engines with 4 turbos.
"MAC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #272
"MAC"
 
Drives: 2001 WS6 and 02 Z71
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
He said there wouldn't be a 4 cylinder.

More important to the point, the guy who engineers Camaros doesn't believe in a 4 cylinder Camaro. Wake up.
A 4 cylinder camaro wont be an issue. Best thing about being a human is you can buy any car you want so long as you have enough money. Me i won't buy any 4cy or 6cy camaro its only the v8 version for me. Considering i can't afford one then im just going to stay with my ls1 WS6. Im perfectly happy with that car no complaints its plenty fast for now. But if i could afford a new gen 6th camaro SS id highly consider buying a C6Z06 instead for the same amount of money.
"MAC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #273
Inferno2SS

 
Inferno2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 797
People buying a base version of a Camaro or Mustang are more interested in the looks of the car then the number of cylinders in my opinion. Its not like back in the day when 4 cylinder cars put out 150 HP if you were lucky, the 2.0T has 295 lbs of torque which is more then enough power for most entry level consumers. Especially on a lighter alpha platform.

As long as they still offer a v8 I dont know why anyone would care. Not everyone is looking to mod their Camaros / Mustangs for more performance, so it would only make sense to capitalize on the weight / fuel mileage of 4 cylinders that are already in their lineup.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #274
"MAC"
 
Drives: 2001 WS6 and 02 Z71
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
People buying a base version of a Camaro or Mustang are more interested in the looks of the car then the number of cylinders in my opinion. Its not like back in the day when 4 cylinder cars put out 150 HP if you were lucky, the 2.0T has 295 lbs of torque which is more then enough power for most entry level consumers. Especially on a lighter alpha platform.

As long as they still offer a v8 I dont know why anyone would care. Not everyone is looking to mod their Camaros / Mustangs for more performance, so it would only make sense to capitalize on the weight / fuel mileage of 4 cylinders that are already in their lineup.
This not only that most people buying it is younger people either for their high school kids or college kids. A v8 is gonna cost more for insurance purposes but a 4cy shouldn't/wont be as much.
"MAC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #275
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
... If he can get equal or better FE from a future V6 that no one knows about (i.e. Buick Show car from Detroit). It may not even be needed. Wouldn't that be cool.
This is what I've been saying for a long time now.

LGX V6, with cylinder deactivation (as you said....Buick concept car), + 8 speed transmission + lighter weight could equal 32mpg or better highway. I don't see why not.

Give the sucker a good 330 - 340 HP in the highest tune V6 for the fun, but the cylinder deactivation for the highway when you want efficiency.

I'm in.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #276
ChefBorOzzy

 
ChefBorOzzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 F150
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,991
My thoughts exactly on an advanced 6.. I think the Accord with a six cylinder and cylinder deactivation gets 34 on the freeway.. GM should be able to get close to that.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #277
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Riverside,ca
Posts: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by "MAC" View Post
What are you talking about? Audi has a plethora of V8 vehicles and guess what they are top dog luxury in the Mercedes vs BMW vs Audi also BMW and Mercedes still have v8 vehicles. Cadillac still has v8 vehicles. An engine has nothing to do with a car being luxurious or not. Its the company and every luxury company i know of has different engines some have 4cylinders and others have w16 engines with 4 turbos.

Lol... Just read over the last few of my posts!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #278
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Riverside,ca
Posts: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
This is what I've been saying for a long time now.

LGX V6, with cylinder deactivation (as you said....Buick concept car), + 8 speed transmission + lighter weight could equal 32mpg or better highway. I don't see why not.

Give the sucker a good 330 - 340 HP in the highest tune V6 for the fun, but the cylinder deactivation for the highway when you want efficiency.

I'm in.
Yea, this makes sense! But would it be more costly than a twin turbo 4 and what about the Gas mileage?
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #279
fradaj

 
Drives: RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
everyone is listening. It's a great topic.

Re read everything BUT the headline. Nowhere is Al quoted as saying, "there will not be a 4 cylinder in the Camaro".

You are "interpreting", not reading more accurately, that he is saying that. All he said was, "I will fight for.....".

I agree, you can read that 2 ways. I am only asking that you realize it isn't his final decision regardless of what is in the article.

As I said, you may be right. There are a ton of people who hope you are.

Government pressures and a 32 MPG Mustang will make it be a heavy consideration. If he can get equal or better FE from a future V6 that no one knows about (i.e. Buick Show car from Detroit). It may not even be needed. Wouldn't that be cool.

The Mustang gets an EcoBoost 4 cylinder in part because Ford is leading the way with turbochargers putting a turbo in just about every vehicle they make, they don't have a high technology V6 like Chevrolet has to put in the Mustang. The question is will Chevrolet have a good reason to put a 4 cylinder in the Camaro, would it get significantly better mileage, would there be a market for it. A 350HP 4 cylinder with 350 ft/lb of torque that sounds like a superbike might appeal to some, especially if it gets over 32 MPG.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 4 cylinder camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro forum, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 4 cylinder, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation, new camaro

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.