Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
LADodgerBlueFan

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Throttle Body Service?

I got my oil changed at the dealership last week and they recommended a "throttle body service". I haven't heard of that type of service on the forums and I'm not sure I've seen it in the Camaro owner's manual. Has anyone else had a throttle body service recommended by their dealership and if so did you do it? FYI my car is at 20K miles.
LADodgerBlueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
You should ask them if you need more headlight fluid too!

Sounds like a scam!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Which dealership?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
How much is it and exactly what do you do to my throttle body?

Oh, I see.

No, Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
valnzula
4Cs Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
found this
Throttle body service is the throttle body cleaning and wiping of the bore and throttle blade. The service is important in order to keep the automobile running smoothly, efficiently, and safely.
There is carbon and sludge that the PCV system deposits into the throttle body as the engine operates. This carbon and sludge is cleaned out during the throttle body service. How well the engine operates about a year after service is determined by the way the automobile starts, how well it idles when it’s cold or warm, and when accessories such air conditioning and heat are operating. The carbon and sludge will also affect the way the car starts from a total stop. A service such as this will keep the idle valve, which is computer controlled, clean. If it is left dirty and covered with carbon, it will have to be replaced and such a replacement can be costly.
An important part of the engine is the throttle body, which is part of the air intake system. The air intake system increases the amount of oxygen used for combustion with fuel. You can either gain or lose power with the air intake system depending on the vehicle’s ram. The throttle body is a part of this air intake system. Keeping the throttle body in good operating condition will keep the car running without costly occurrences.
Importance of the Throttle Body Service

Careful and regular throttle body service will keep the emissions from the engine’s exhaust system in check. There is also increased sound when the throttle is applied by way of the accelerator. If the vehicle is operated at lower speeds, there is less noise coming from the engine. However, at higher speeds, the engine tends to become very noisy. These two statements make the throttle body service important in itself, as it makes the automobile more environmentally friendly. A complete throttle body service is recommended every 15,000, 40,000, and 75,000 miles to be sure that the automobile is functioning properly.
It is most important to have the throttle body serviced regularly to avoid the high cost of replacement. The cost of throttle body service or replacing the throttle body varies with the year, make, and model of the car. But, no matter what that year, model, or make may be, replacement is not inexpensive. Excluding the cost of replacing the throttle body for the moment, what is perhaps even more important, is to have the throttle body serviced regularly to keep your car running smoothly and efficiently.

DIY!!

Last edited by valnzula; 01-11-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: add
valnzula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Not a scam. I have had to do this to a few vehicles due to poor performance with idle. Also cleaned MAF. Pretty simple to do.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
No way is that needed at that mileage, especially if it runs perfectly.

When you get up with some real high mileage, it is a good idea to take off the throttle body and clean up the carbon. At that low of mileage, they are just trying to drain your wallet.

What you have there is a service writer that works on commission.

My 75 year old mother called me one day from a Florida dealership. Her two year old 25,000 mile GMC Acadia was in for an oil change. They tried to sell her - induction system cleaning, power steering fluid and brake fluid flush and fluid change. $250 +. I told her absolutely not, then they started insisting it was a safety issue.... she put me on the phone with the Service Manager who I made it clear he was a fcking crook taking advantage of the elderly.

If your ever in Leesburg FL, steer clear of the crooks in the Service Dept at Phillips Buick GMC. Makes you wonder how many elderly customers fall for that scam every day. Bring in a coupon for a cheap oil change... get pressured into all kinds of crap you don't need.

Another interesting fact is the ECM compensates for carbon build up over time. One of GM's strategy for many years has been low cost and minimal maintenance needed on modern cars. Exactly why there is long life coolant and other fluids.
The ECM over time compensates for that little carbon build up in the throttle body and maintains the perfect idle speed and idle gap, even though a little carbon is building up there. It will be many years and really high mileage before it is ever an issue. Older cars without an electronic throttle had a tougher time with TB carbon, and needed to be cleaned more often if the idle or starting became a problem. With an electronic throttle, forget about it for many years. If it ever is hard to start or an erratic idle.... then clean the throttle body.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Without a catch can, you will be amazed at how much oil can collect in the intake area past the TB. Just take a look in there, some people's cars are absolutely disgusting and they have really low mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Gotta wonder is they really pulled the intake off and looked at the throttle body to determine if it needs cleaning or if this is just standard at 20,000.

Can't you buy a spray cleaner that cleans it up pretty easy? Like the old carb cleaner in a spray can?
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
It's really simple to get at, just loosen the clamps that hold your intake tube onto the TB, wiggle the pipe loose and take a look.

Anyone with a socket set and 5 mins can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
LADodgerBlueFan

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS SIM
I have had pretty good service at this dealership (Camino Real Chevrolet), I bought the car there and was given complimentary oil changes so I don't think they are necessarily trying to scam me. It seemed like it was a service recommendation that popped up on their computer once they punched in my car's info. Maybe it's a "standard" recommendation at 20K miles in their system even if we don't really need it.
LADodgerBlueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
The Beard

Drives: 2013 2SS HWSE M6
OIL CATCH CAN!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
SpeedTrap47

Drives: Camaro 2SS, Cadillac SRX, Silverado
I had to do it with my 11 year old Silverado several times.
SpeedTrap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The whole thing about throttle body cleaning is the idle air gap. If it starts easy and idles at the perfect RPM, don't touch anything.

If it's hard to start, long cranking time or no start, or a hunting idle speed... then clean the throttle body. Take it off, wipe the inside of the throttle body and throttle blade with a decarboning cleaner. Pop it back on. Don't spray anything down it while still on the engine, you don't want that stuff washing down the cylinders and in the oil.

I worked on a friends Chevy Venture minivan the other day that wouldn't start. It had been cranking long for a few weeks then one day wouldn't start at all. Had spark, fuel pressure... no codes.... popped the TB off and gunk city. 120,000 miles of carbon build up was blocking the air gap.
A little cleaning and it fired right up. So it's definately a good thing to do at high mileage, at low mileage on a perfectly running engine it's criminal theft.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote