Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 11-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #15
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
:
Agree

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
The AEM unit will look like an ECM to HP Tuners so it will log its data just like the ECM or TCM. In other words it will log concurrently with all of the other PIDs.

PM me if you would like to discuss your specific car.

Thanks!
Tim
That works for me. Will be sending you a p.m. later today

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw16ss View Post
This would have been my choice had I known about it sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
+1

The AEM wideband is the only way to go. All others are officially obsolete.

I have the Pro interface because I needed it for my old wideband. If it ever broke, I'd just get the standard version now that I have the AEM wideband that hooks up through the OBDII.
I definitely appreciate the feedback from both of you. I've been wondering about how people were fairing with aftermarket am setups when interfacing it with HP tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
:
Totally understandable. I've been watching a few of the tutorials about changing fuel and or spark via using the tables. I'm guessing once you get to stuff like torque management it will probably end up being some sort of a scale. Will look around to see if I can find anyone who's uploaded a copy of a stock version of my car. That way I can check out all the parameters you can adjust ahead of time. For right now I've been looking through the sample ones that they have on the demo and using those to change things. Hopefully with the data logging and adjustments it will be something similar to what I'm used to with Diablo Sports tuning. It's been quite a while since I've delved into HP tuners from a long time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Agree

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #17
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Have you started watching some youtube videos? I recommend The Tuning School. They have some good basic content to help you get started.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Have you started watching some youtube videos? I recommend The Tuning School. They have some good basic content to help you get started.
yeah that's where I started at this week. there were a few on vimeo, but theres way more on youtube. I know I have some people locally that have done 5th gens that can assist as well. etmx183 has done wonders with his 5th gen v6!

will def check out The Tuning School as well. appreciate the suggestion!

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 11-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I've watched a couple of there videos, I should probably watch more, HOWEVER, I would not recommend buying the books myself.

I've read the Gen V tuning book, and I have their transmission tuning book (bought it months after I started playing with trans tunes)... I guess if you're looking for something that says "Start here, do this" they are fine, but what I was hoping for was more explanations of what tables do. Zero explanation in the books period. "Go here, do this, set this to that"... I want to learn, not be told. The transmission book was a waste of $200, it was all stuff I already knew just from playing around by myself. I learned maybe one thing to try, that I hadn't already tried. Be wary of books, unless you can read some of it first, or find someone that has a copy to thumb through before spending the big $$ they want for the books.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #20
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@ View Post
I've watched a couple of there videos, I should probably watch more, HOWEVER, I would not recommend buying the books myself.

I've read the Gen V tuning book, and I have their transmission tuning book (bought it months after I started playing with trans tunes)... I guess if you're looking for something that says "Start here, do this" they are fine, but what I was hoping for was more explanations of what tables do. Zero explanation in the books period. "Go here, do this, set this to that"... I want to learn, not be told. The transmission book was a waste of $200, it was all stuff I already knew just from playing around by myself. I learned maybe one thing to try, that I hadn't already tried. Be wary of books, unless you can read some of it first, or find someone that has a copy to thumb through before spending the big $$ they want for the books.

Did you mean anything like these books?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/19324...ds=tuning+book

Old 12-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #21
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
That ones not a bad book, but its funny how these books can be over 100 pages and after you get through reading them you realize just how much they are filled with fluff and you have so many questions. That book would be good for a beginner and trying to learn the basics of engine tuning theory, problem is they are suited more towards all types of tuning and hptuner/gm specific stuff it mentions a couple sentences. So all the hptuners specific stuff like explanations of random tables that we don't know what they do is not going to be in there.

To give you an example of what I mean, In that book all it says about timing is that it should be inversely related to the volumetric efficiency table, but doesn't go into more detail. Its like when you were in school and had to get that 3 page, 12 point font paper done so you add in a bunch of fluff to get there.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #22
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
The Pro version has one other feature over the standard which has not been mentioned and it's standalone datalogging. That means you can program the HPT device as a datalogger, and then capture a log without having your laptop hooked up. Since you autocross PPH, it would mean that you could then capture data during a run, without worrying about the laptop flying around inside the car. Just something to consider when deciding.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #23
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
IMO, get a Pro cable and a wideband made by ECM. If you actually want to know your wideband is accurate, then it makes sense to get one from the only company who supplies testing agencies and OEMs.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #24
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I have had the pro cable for a number of projects and share it with my step son who also has had a few projects over the years. I like having the extra inputs and have used them to monitor other data.

I have used them for Fuel pressure, nitrous pressure, g force, trans line pressure, other people’s widebands when helping them tune. They can come in handy.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #25
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
That ones not a bad book, but its funny how these books can be over 100 pages and after you get through reading them you realize just how much they are filled with fluff and you have so many questions. That book would be good for a beginner and trying to learn the basics of engine tuning theory, problem is they are suited more towards all types of tuning and hptuner/gm specific stuff it mentions a couple sentences. So all the hptuners specific stuff like explanations of random tables that we don't know what they do is not going to be in there.

To give you an example of what I mean, In that book all it says about timing is that it should be inversely related to the volumetric efficiency table, but doesn't go into more detail. Its like when you were in school and had to get that 3 page, 12 point font paper done so you add in a bunch of fluff to get there.
I hear ya on that. some of the videos are ok so far, but still not confident to initiate my own FULL tune based on I think I was spoiled by diablosports trinity

but I did run across this:

https://thetuningschool.com/product/...-3-x-software/

https://thetuningschool.com/product/...-tuning-guide/

I haven't seen any videos or reviews on any of it, and theres no way that I have found so far in seeing some sample pages.... but it looks like this is one of those, "more of an investment" things... like buying a GM shop manual for 2-400$. mainly the one main book sets cost just as much as the reg HP tuners suite, or both books cost as much as the pro suite.

might have to look at it like wrestling gear or training seminars. its an investment in yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
The Pro version has one other feature over the standard which has not been mentioned and it's standalone datalogging. That means you can program the HPT device as a datalogger, and then capture a log without having your laptop hooked up. Since you autocross PPH, it would mean that you could then capture data during a run, without worrying about the laptop flying around inside the car. Just something to consider when deciding.
I gotchya on that and def appreciate the advice. as of late, I have been leaning back more towards the pro version again. I figure its better to have and not need it than to eventually need it and not have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post
IMO, get a Pro cable and a wideband made by ECM. If you actually want to know your wideband is accurate, then it makes sense to get one from the only company who supplies testing agencies and OEMs.
Pro cable meaning the pro suite, correct? and ECM... I haven't heard of em before, but most of the posts i'm seeing so far are from 2008 or so. will keep lookin into it. also, in a 2 bank system, which bank do most put their wideband in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I have had the pro cable for a number of projects and share it with my step son who also has had a few projects over the years. I like having the extra inputs and have used them to monitor other data.

I have used them for Fuel pressure, nitrous pressure, g force, trans line pressure, other people’s widebands when helping them tune. They can come in handy.
That's why I'm starting to lean back towards that version. def appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #26
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Pro cable meaning the pro suite, correct? and ECM... I haven't heard of em before, but most of the posts i'm seeing so far are from 2008 or so. will keep lookin into it. also, in a 2 bank system, which bank do most put their wideband in?
www.ecm-co.com

If you look up the old NGK AFX, that was actually made by ECM. It was an extremely popular wideband that was discontinued, although ECM now actually makes the AFX2 box (which is what I sell), or more commonly known as the Ballenger AFR500 (they take the AFX2 label off and use their own label). You won't find a huge amount in generic Google searching because ECM caters to a much higher dollar and higher accuracy market, but they make one product which falls into the consumer price category which is the AFX2. I will only use ECM products because they are the industry standard in widebands and measurement equipment.

As far as cables, yes, I mean the pro suite with analog inputs and standalone logging.

As far as what bank, there is not an appreciable difference.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #27
PolynesianPowerhouse

One more question for anyone. Is there a preferred place to buy hp tuners? Or just whoever sells the 6021 part number?
Didn't know if there are ever any discounts...

Old 02-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #28
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
One more question for anyone. Is there a preferred place to buy hp tuners? Or just whoever sells the 6021 part number?
Didn't know if there are ever any discounts...
Some vendors will give you holiday deals on the full suite others will chargeyou full price and even some vendors on here will give you a forum discount however I believe HPTuners won't let their direct vendors sell it for anything less then $400.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote