Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #57
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
I just think it's very stupid. That means that you won't be able to travel, unless it's via train. Charge times are very prohibitive of any sort ofong distance travel. They need to make ethanol. It burns cleaner, makes more power and is renewable to boot. Problem solved.
Read this. By the time they instill electric vehicles as the majority of vehicles on the road? Technology will be advanced enough for wireless charging on the road.

http://theconversation.com/wired-up-...-driving-72625

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #58
4ME2DRV

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
What ever happened to Honda's Hydrogen car they were leasing in limited numbers years ago?? Did that project fail?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #59
gen5dewy

Drives: 2015 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
On a related note - as sad as it is, the gearhead generation is getting old and our newer generations just aren't that interested in DIY gas cars and building muscle cars. I'm in my mid 20s and I am hands down the only person in my large group of friends that knows anything about building, fixing, talking about, or modding cars. Most of them are more worried about leasing a civic to save money for travelling or paying off our $100,000 in student loans lol. Just look at Harley Davidson sales and shit, were phasing out the HogLife lifestyle too.
I can agree with this. Also being 22 going on 23 its random to find a group that knows about cars. I have found a way to get most of my friends to be car nuts like me. I am also one of the luck few to make it out of a 4 year college without any loans, mostly thanks to amazing parents and grandparents who were saving before I was born. I do not want to see the gearhead generation die off. I only hope I can learn some more off of the order generations before the knowledge is lost forever
gen5dewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #60
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
At least we have this to look forward to?

Did anyone else notice this thing sitting in the lineup? I'm sure GM is well aware a good portion of their loyal fan-base is keen on performance. I for one given an inevitable electric future welcome the notion. That said, this could just be an existing concept, and I'm looking too much into it.

Name:  GM Fleet BRZ Sized Thing..JPG
Views: 313
Size:  71.3 KB

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #61
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf583 View Post
Did anyone else notice this thing sitting in the lineup? I'm sure GM is well aware a good portion of their loyal fan-base is keen on performance. I for one given an inevitable electric future welcome the notion. That said, this could just be an existing concept, and I'm looking too much into it.

Attachment 900195
Looks like an electric Camaro to me.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #62
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ME2DRV View Post
What ever happened to Honda's Hydrogen car they were leasing in limited numbers years ago?? Did that project fail?

I dunno about Honda, but Toyota is selling one:

https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.htm...4Dsw&gclsrc=ds

I have a co-worker who owns one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen5dewy View Post
I can agree with this. Also being 22 going on 23 its random to find a group that knows about cars. I have found a way to get most of my friends to be car nuts like me. I am also one of the luck few to make it out of a 4 year college without any loans, mostly thanks to amazing parents and grandparents who were saving before I was born. I do not want to see the gearhead generation die off. I only hope I can learn some more off of the order generations before the knowledge is lost forever
My first reaction was to say that this is 'sad'. And it is true, I haven't come across anyone in their 20's who knows anything more than putting gas in their car.

But... the more I think about it, I don't believe the love of the automobile (gearheads) will completely die off. There are still people, like you, who will keep it alive. In fact, it will become a much tighter knit group of people... and with the internet, they don't have to be your next door neighbor or classmate. Gearheads can be on the opposite sides of the globe and still share their passion.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #63
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Looks like "nope, no thanks" to me
Old 10-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #64
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
Looks like "nope, no thanks" to me
Lol Awesome.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #65
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen5dewy View Post
Thats not a bad idea. Hell E85 is basically moonshine with some gas in it. It's renewable and easyish to make
This is actually false. Its another one of those good ideas that doesn't actually work. It is only affordable because the tax payers actually pay the famers a bonus for growing it. Yep... your taxes cover the cost instead of a tax on the fuel.

Next... it cost more to make in fuel, soil damage and effort then it actually nets.
If you remove the government assistance it would fail immediately. The hope was farmers would get better at growing it and/or turning it into fuel would get cheaper and easier. Neither happened.

I do know a few famers who are living very well off the government assistance. They love the cash, but have said it was a bad idea since day one.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #66
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
This is one of the reasons I own a Z28. There is a good chance it will be one of the last great engines ever produced.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #67
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Looks like a fossil fuel burning Camaro thats been covered to me
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #68
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I was very surprised to read this. I guess we knew for a while this was on the way it's just crazy to hear it from the horse's mouth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f2c7077a2d9c
It's not an announcement of the end of the ICE, it's only an announcement that GM plans to eventually stop building cars so powered. Possibly in response/reaction to Volvo's fairly recent similar announcement.

Nothing about any of the proposed vehicles
Quote:
Although GM would not provide details about the upcoming models, it showed reporters three different concepts: a sporty crossover, a larger wagon or SUV and a tall, boxy pod car that looked like a people-mover for cities.
interests me in the slightest. No matter who might plan to build them or how fast they might actually be.

Norm
Old 10-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #69
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
Not directed at anyone but each his/her own. You bet your butt I'll be keeping my Gen5 AND hooning the crap out of whatever the electric overlords present us. And if "we" the collective performance/enthusiast market don't present demand for such a product you can say goodbye to that segment in 10 years. If it doesn't make sense they won't do it.

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #70
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
I've been an electrician for 34 years and have been working solar for the past 4 and the utility companies own the solar and wind fields that's why your price hasn't gone down they inflate and say they are giving you credit for putting back into the system. look up what is called graphene ? Spanish scientists were given a grant to develop it. I'm getting older and forgetting. but it will be developed to impregnate the roads and your car will ride along and constantly charge similar to the old slot cars but real life. car panels will be made of it it charges just like a solar panel . the roof of your car will be made of it to convert sun power. I'm telling you folks graphene or a derivative there of is coming. you want to be a millionaire invest in it. it's coming we have not had a founding technology since the cell phone. and that's been at least 30 years ago.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote