Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Gasoholic

Drives: o
The future aint what it used to be

Read an article last night from GM. Says that GM is embracing a totally electric vehicle future. Towards the end of the article it said GM is on board to invest in the electric vehicle market whether consumers want it or not. As in consumers wont have a choice in the matter.
I find it disappointing whenever I read stuff like this. I understand protecting the environment and all. But battery technology isn't exactly environmentally friendly either.
Can you picture a day when cars all run silently? No sweet smell of high octane fuel, or feeling the thunder of a high performance muscle car?
Seems depressing to me.
Whats the world coming too? Makes me feel bad for my grandchildren.

Hers a link to the article.
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/...e_by_2023.html
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Don't worry. There are very HIGH powered electric vehicles around today. Very expensive, but they are there. As much as I like my V8 Camaro, I think our air will be much better to breath with all electric vehicles on the road. Much less cancer for humans as well, AND no damn dependency on foreign oil. Less pollution is a great thing. And, like I stated, there will be electric "muscle" cars that will outperform what we currently have.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
The world moves on. Makes me wonder what the complaints were moving from horses to cars.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509632

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
The world moves on. Makes me wonder what the complaints were moving from horses to cars.
You can still use horses if you like.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
You make it sound easy. Lol less cancer? Lmao how's that? You have have cancer in you like everyone else! Plenty ppl out there never smoked a day in their lives died of lung cancer. It's a lotto. A peanut butter sandwhich could trigger cancer in you and they'd say it was something else. The world is no longer and will not be a better place. Corporations are making it to where there's less and less choice in our lives

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Gasoholic

Couple months ago I was at the gas station filling my Silverado. This guy walked up and was like looking at my truck. I figured he was admiring it since I just did a bunch of work on it and it looks pretty sweet.
So I'm all proud and happy, then he starts going off on me about "when are people going to lose their addiction to fossil fuels" yada yada. Turns out he's some kind of hippy dude. Told me he has a web site called "big blue". And in his words "if I had my way GM would be out of business".
I told him I hope he never gets his way. My wife works for GM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Gasoholic

Heres something funny,
while I'm writing this theres a news story running on TV about Puerto Rico, and how the island is devastated with only 5% of the islands having electric power.
Kind of makes a person wonder dont it?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
You make it sound easy. Lol less cancer? Lmao how's that? You have have cancer in you like everyone else! Plenty ppl out there never smoked a day in their lives died of lung cancer. It's a lotto. A peanut butter sandwhich could trigger cancer in you and they'd say it was something else. The world is no longer and will not be a better place. Corporations are making it to where there's less and less choice in our lives
Oh man, tell me you don't think that all of the shit coming out of the cars isn't in some ways affecting our health? And global warming on top of it. Emissions have improved since the 70s, but still no emissions at all is NOT a bad thing for the air that we breath. I realize that cancer can come at us in many ways, but I can't believe that car exhausts do NOTHING harmful.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
Most of the electricity powering the electric cars is still coming from fossil fuels. If we all go to electric cars we need to solve that problem first.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
From what I hear, most homes are not equipped to handle the charging systems for electric vehicles. Also what about all the huge trucks and buses burning diesel blowing all kinds of smoke into the air? Are they gonna be electric, not for a long long time. Diesel trucks here don't even have emissions tests, The Government chooses who they want to make follow the rules while other are exempt....It's all bullshit to part you from your money !! Do what you want and enjoy the present day muscle car. People will not buy nearly as many as they think and for good reason. Same thing is happening with Woodstoves, new more expensive, harder to run woodstove for heating, the Liberals scream and complain about the air pollution from them but say nothing when a million acre forest fire puts so much smoke into the air and has no affect. It's all a bunch of crap just like global warming. The weather is cyclic in Nature over thousands of years.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Oh man, tell me you don't think that all of the shit coming out of the cars isn't in some ways affecting our health? And global warming on top of it. Emissions have improved since the 70s, but still no emissions at all is NOT a bad thing for the air that we breath. I realize that cancer can come at us in many ways, but I can't believe that car exhausts do NOTHING harmful.
Oh I'm not saying that. Inhaling exhaust fumes and bathing in gasoline petroleum based products isn't exactly heartwarming. But let's look at the bigger picture of going green. Are you ready? The future...China! Overpopulation. Starvation. Cause if you're going to help ppl live longer? Something's got to give. The US barely produces cultivation. Sure, we have the land. But it's cheaper to import it. The US will never sustain anything for its own again. You think starvation is prevalent in the US now? Wait til there's overpopulation. This country can't sustain if it's ppl go towards starvation. Or should I say will refuse to help them. If they do? It'll be at the expense of others. Probably more working class lol

Old 10-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
BOOSTT

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS "Hot Wheels"
What do you think millions of batteries will do to our ground water over time? Those are a health hazard too. Electro-magnetic piston engines last forever with a typical 12V battery and have zero emissions, but no one is making those. This is how robots work that build our cars. Billions of cycles and no wear.
Even if not a single particle harmful to our Ozone is released ever again, it will still take over 100 years for for any improvement there. A single HFC molecule takes 100 years to stop destroying Ozone. We are screwed. We need a way to clean our mess before we will be safe in the future. It may be a bit late for "prevention" For F sakes, we are still producing tons of nuclear waste and still have no clue how to permanently dispose of it. The containers only last 15 years, then new containers are needed as they dissolve. I know someone who makes those containers for a living and he said their Geiger counters start going nuts from 1/2 mile away in the giant underground storage facility in Nevada. The containers leak. If a quake breaks that underground storage facility, we're all goners. No more worries about cars.... Cow farts harm the environment more than cars. So do 2-stroke lawnmowers and such. We need to fix the biggest problems first, not just ones corporate America can get rich off of.
BOOSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTT View Post
What do you think millions of batteries will do to our ground water over time? Those are a health hazard too. Electro-magnetic piston engines last forever with a typical 12V battery and have zero emissions, but no one is making those. This is how robots work that build our cars. Billions of cycles and no wear.
Even if not a single particle harmful to our Ozone is released ever again, it will still take over 100 years for for any improvement there. A single HFC molecule takes 100 years to stop destroying Ozone. We are screwed. We need a way to clean our mess before we will be safe in the future. It may be a bit late for "prevention" For F sakes, we are still producing tons of nuclear waste and still have no clue how to permanently dispose of it. The containers only last 15 years, then new containers are needed as they dissolve. I know someone who makes those containers for a living and he said their Geiger counters start going nuts from 1/2 mile away in the giant underground storage facility in Nevada. The containers leak. If a quake breaks that underground storage facility, we're all goners. No more worries about cars.... Cow farts harm the environment more than cars. So do 2-stroke lawnmowers and such. We need to fix the biggest problems first, not just ones corporate America can get rich off of.

You're right!

All these go green activists are shitting in one hand and wishing in he other watching which one fills up faster! Lol like American soil is so bad? It's ridiculous! You think America is horrible with their environmental use? You REALLY need to go overseas and see absolutely NO regulations. So hooray! Americas green and 3rd world is dumping pollution at an all time high. Yes...it really helps.