Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #29
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I’ve seen a lot of these threads, and I’m pondering starting a thread on how to save money.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #30
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Just because you got a fairly good deal on used demo doesn't mean much. I paid only $18.9k for mine. It was brand new, never registered with only 7 miles on it.

The SS has decent brakes. However, in one recent popular magazine test, the V6 with 18" alloys actually stopped better than the V8 model. I think it had something to do with the higher forces created by the larger and much heavier 20" wheels on the SS.

The V6 had smaller and much lighter 18" alloys, either as an option in the early years or as standard equipment beginning in '14. In '14, the 18" alloys where standard equipment on the 1LS and 2LS V6.

The V8 may have more torque, but the V6 revs higher and is lighter. Since we're talking about bang for the buck here, the V6 offers more of that compared to the much more expensive SS. A less than $800 investment in a good nitrous system can have the V6 running with the V8.

That, in my opinion, is a much better "bang for your buck" than spending thousands more to get an SS.
You are absolutely right. I just put my SS up for sale and am going to comb the Lots for a much better V6.... Thank you for leading me into the light.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #31
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Window stickers lol

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #32
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
You are absolutely right. I just put my SS up for sale and am going to comb the Lots for a much better V6.... Thank you for leading me into the light.
If you like your SS, you should keep it. After all, you probably spent a lot more money to get your car than I did to get mine.

I just don't understand all the hate some of the V8 guys have against the V6 guys. Serious dude, why all the intense hate?

When some of us mod our V6's to perform better, some of the V8 guys here go nuts. Why is that?

We're just doing the same things that you guys are doing, modding our cars to perform and look better, just like everyone else.

Relax bro, it's all good.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #33
Slvr-camaro15

Drives: 2017 zl1 ,2010 SS /RS L99
Please !please!!please

Hey guys ,a lot of us come on these forums and post questions , a lot of which might seem.redundant to you all specially to the esteemed forum seniors who have been around for a while . One thing I look at is the "# of posts " by a forum member to determine the seniority level . It's not foolproof but definitely senior level members who have posts that run into the hundreds /thousands . You all have a wealth of information that's sometimes a bit overwhelming to newbies . My humble request to you all and I'm sure the newbies including myself will agree is that please refrain from getting into petty wars /name calling amongst yourselves .everyone is entitled to their own opinion . Personal Opinions are not directed at anyone. This forum is the holy grail of knowledge ,please do not disrespect this sacred space . I look forward to myself being a valuable source of information to all new comers includING my kids who I'm sure will reference this forum at some point .

Last edited by Slvr-camaro15; 09-30-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Slvr-camaro15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #34
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr-camaro15 View Post
With everyone wanting to get zl 1's at some point . The good old v6 will be in high demand as a collectible .I think I'm gonna hold on to my v6 .
Lol! Yeah, whenever you get into the details on the merits of the V6 as it compares to the more expensive V8, they always throw the ZL1 argument in your face. The problem with that logic is the ZL1 is even more expensive. lol!

I never thought a 323hp 217 cid V6 would give SS V8 owners so much grief. Lol!
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #35
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I’ve seen a lot of these threads, and I’m pondering starting a thread on how to save money.

Maybe start with recommending this book. It’ll educate people enough to ask the right questions as well as understand the areas of modifications they might want to concentrate on and assess DIY difficulty levels.

Name:  BFF89ABF-1E24-43EA-8F06-F5EC3B9B13B3.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  126.8 KB
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #36
Slvr-camaro15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungCamaroHopeful View Post
If you had a stock 2010 1LT and $400 to spend on mods what would get?
Back to the original question . As I myself would like to know !!
Old 09-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #37
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
For the record op didn't ask what he could do but what "you" would do with 400 bucks and that is what I would do and i called you smug because almost all of your posts i have read come off as aggressive like for instance someone on another thread posted lol in response to someone suggesting a catch can and you went into a rant about how necessary the can is and didn't understand whu he/she would lol at something like that. I've only been a member here for a short time and it became very obvious to me that the catch can suggesting is something people here do, even if the original post or question has nothing to do with performance mods. Hell, one member here post it in almost everything, kinda like his signature. I apologize for my doucheiness but in my defense, i just woke up and was already in a bad mood because i get to spend my day at a high school for my kids football and cheerleading and its hot, muggy and raining off and on. My sincerest apologies

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #38
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Back to the original question . As I myself would like to know !!
That’s impossible to answer if you don’t mention what your goals are or what kind of mods you’re interested in.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #39
Slvr-camaro15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
That’s impossible to answer if you don’t mention what your goals are or what kind of mods you’re interested in.
Valid point @squawk. Ultimate objective is power gain . But somehow I am starting to realize every mod is codependent on another one. So in the end $400 seems unrealistic . Only thing I have done so far Is a K &N typhoon CAI . Caliper covers. Katzkin later covers , rear spoiler , and custom starry night halo lights . I left the the 400 $mark way long back. Right now I'm looking to get a MRT V2 axelback to enhance the sound . Down the road when. I have more money will look at catback with headers etc +tune etc . I understand the question is very generic but given that there are so many options and possibilities being endless it's hard to really pinpoint . I guess my question needs to be rephrased "listed in order of what's priority " .
Old 09-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #40
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Op, how does your paint look? If you have any blemishes, I'd suggest a paint correction and ceramic coating

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #41
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
If you like your SS, you should keep it. After all, you probably spent a lot more money to get your car than I did to get mine.

I just don't understand all the hate some of the V8 guys have against the V6 guys. Serious dude, why all the intense hate?

When some of us mod our V6's to perform better, some of the V8 guys here go nuts. Why is that?

We're just doing the same things that you guys are doing, modding our cars to perform and look better, just like everyone else.

Relax bro, it's all good.
There is no hate from me toward the V6 or V6 owners and if you comb through my posts you would know that. I happen to like all Camaro's and had originally planned on buying the V6. Your the guy who regularly slams the l99 if anything reading your posts.

The fact of the matter is there are a lot more people trading the V6 to get the V8 than the other way around & they don't seem to be bothered by the extra cost which only increases after they take a bath on the one they traded in.

That said I do understand your point as its kind of how I feel about the cost of the 6th gen SS compared to my car. It would cost me a pile of money now to trade mine in for one & I don't feel the benefits justify the cost. And how I feel about their looks is another matter though they have grown on me.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #42
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Valid point @squawk. Ultimate objective is power gain . But somehow I am starting to realize every mod is codependent on another one. So in the end $400 seems unrealistic . Only thing I have done so far Is a K &N typhoon CAI . Caliper covers. Katzkin later covers , rear spoiler , and custom starry night halo lights . I left the the 400 $mark way long back. Right now I'm looking to get a MRT V2 axelback to enhance the sound . Down the road when. I have more money will look at catback with headers etc +tune etc . I understand the question is very generic but given that there are so many options and possibilities being endless it's hard to really pinpoint . I guess my question needs to be rephrased "listed in order of what's priority " .
Sounds to me like you already have a handle on it.. So by that rationale the best mod is to add that $400 to 400 more dollars and.......