Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
RandyT

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Summit White
Annoying

The area that I live in there are lots of ricers with fart cans and 90% of them think they are the fastest thing on 4 wheels and for some reason it annoys the hell out of me

On a roll they rev up or do the 3 honk go technique, I haven't engaged it's just a waste of time for me to engage but it annoys me

I understand some of them are quick but...

What do you guys do in cases like this
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Inferno13

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I'm torn.

45% of me wants to be the good diplomat toward the ricer crowd since we all share in the car hobby.

The majority of me is completely baffled by any attraction to 4cyl anythings. Most are slow little fart canned buzz bombs, which is quite irritating. Like nails to a chalk board to me. On the basis of sound alone, I cannot understand why someone would do this. If I were a kid today on a low budget, I'd go for a used F-body or mustang.

I can get a little interested in a nicely modified WRX STi, because rally cars intrigue me, or maybe a nice older Turbo Supra. I have some friends my age (50) that love their Miata's and I get that too.

However, for the rank and file homemade modified imports...yeah, they annoy me and just about anyone outside that click.
Inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
hemiCouple

Drives: 2013 Victory Red M6
coming from a "ricer with a fart can" who also has a ZL1, at least they are interested in the great hobby and lifestyle that is automobiles. Not everyone has the ability to get straight into what would be viewed as an amazing car when they first start in the hobby, and some simply prefer different cars than others (I modified and raced my first car well before I had a real drivers license, and most certainly before I could afford a ZL1) give em a thumbs up and a rev back and go about your day. just my .02.
hemiCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Would you rather they were driving a Volvo XC90?
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Balr14

Drives: Porsche 997.2 Carrera S cabriolet
I'm pretty sure they just want to see how your car goes; they aren't trying to race you. I had a supercharged TransAm in the late 90s and I got that all the time. Ironically, I drove a Subaru Forester XT with all STI upgrades from 2005 to 2015 and nobody ever bothered me but Mustangs.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
They know what kind of car you drive, the just want to see first hand what it's made out of.

It can be a little annoying, because it almost seems like they're trying to start something.

But in reality, it's a couple of young guys with Snapchat at the ready, trying to bring out the beast of the ZL1 on footage.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
If I feel good about the situation as far as safety I usually give anyone to go for fun, sometimes cars are faster than me. I love cars and I want to hear them and see them go fast so I'll play with anyone. As said before not everybody can get into a big bad sounding V8 and to be honest some don't even want to. We all have an interest in cars, just not all the same car thankfully
Old 07-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Just give a wave or a head nod and continue on about my business...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #9
Genzl1rev

Drives: 2014 ZL1 RED HOT
Happened to me with a guy in a Hyundia Veloseter with a waste gate on his turbo...my windows down. He was behind me and purposefully came up on my drivers' side and gave me a full blast.
I think it was my first drive home from work in the ZL1.

You get it from the mustangs that have their new borla exhaust also.
2006 Volvo R60 AWD>2010 Acura ZDX Black (the Batmobile)
2Wheels:Kawi Eliminator>Honda CB1
Genzl1rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 AM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I'm pretty sure they just want to see how your car goes; they aren't trying to race you. I had a supercharged TransAm in the late 90s and I got that all the time. Ironically, I drove a Subaru Forester XT with all STI upgrades from 2005 to 2015 and nobody ever bothered me but Mustangs.
I have always had fun toying with fast cars just to see/hear them.

We were working at a mansion for some weeks and the day we were finishing up the owner came out and wanted to buy us lunch. So we threw all the tools on the back of the old F-350 stake bed and waited for him to come out of the driveway.

Well, he pulls up in a Ferrari. I jumped out in front of him and it was about a block to a one lane bridge. I drove right down the center of the road until we crossed that bridge, then I moved right and that sweet sound flew by us

When I had my Sentra Spec-V I left a Lambo when the light turned green. I actually slowed down and waited and he did not disappoint. As I scoped him going by he was wearing a mechanics uniform. Probably blowing the carbon out and burning the rust off the rotors for the owner.

A Shelby and I lined up. I started in second and he eased into it, but when he was shifting to 2nd my Sentra reached it's 3,000 RPMs and took a bit of a squirt forward. Another stop signal was two blocks away.
When that turned green I stuck it in first and just went up in tire smoke. He f'kin ripped.

All in good fun
Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 AM   #11
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Randy don't let them get to you, just give them the thumbs up and a smile. Just remember every once in a while one of them is a knucklehead and will continue to try you.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #12
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
[QUOTE=jrhagen;9831522]Would you rather they were driving a Volvo XC90?[/QUOTE

And what is wrong with the XC90? My 2005 2.5T FWD still gets 24+ hwy, super safe, hauls my car parts(and my a$$ around) safely and as some find out on the hwy, very quickly if I choose....oh and it has 130k+ and I bought used for a song....LULZ......

As for the fart cans, as long as it's not a kid getting stupid and there is no popo around...well there is no carbon build up here!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Absolutely nothing. I know what my car is, and I know that it is fast. I never feel the need to prove anything on the street.

Now with my fellow club members and friends, that's a different story. On a long stretch of road, and when one of them guns it, then all bets are off. Its so much fun letting her out on a lonely stretch of road. Other times, I mind my business and the speed limit.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Absolutely nothing. I know what my car is, and I know that it is fast. I never feel the need to prove anything on the street.

Now with my fellow club members and friends, that's a different story. On a long stretch of road, and when one of them guns it, then all bets are off. Its so much fun letting her out on a lonely stretch of road. Other times, I mind my business and the speed limit.
Your car is not fast. It is a heavy pig with less than 600 hp, that's bhp by the way.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote