Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 10-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
naztynate068

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Winter tire/wheels question

This is my first post, so bear with me. Bought a 2016 2SS this summer. I live in New England, and winter is coming... I've been back and forth on whether to get snow tires and brave it out, or try and find a cheap beater on craigslist. Well, I haven't had much luck on craigslist, and my time is running out. I'm wondering if I should just risk it and get a new set of cheap wheels and snow tires. I hate to put my car through the harsh, salty environment, and put the extra miles on it, but I feel like I'm running out of options.

First question: If I do get snow tires, I'm going to want to get smaller wheels in order to keep my costs down. When I put my car info on the tirerack website, it says some 18s will fit (my car has the stock Brembos -- not the 6-piston upgrade). Can I trust that they will fit and not rub?

Second question: Does anyone have any experience driving their Camaro in the snow? It sucks and I really don't want to, but at this point I honestly think it might be my best option at this point.

TL;DR I could spend $1400 on new wheels/snow tires and drive it all winter, or $2500-3000 on a winter beater that could potentially be a money pit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
naztynate068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
TL;DR I could spend $1400 on new wheels/snow tires and drive it all winter, or $2500-3000 on a winter beater that could potentially be a money pit.

----

This is exactly where I am right now. I am running out of time, too. ugh!
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Your right about the beater being a money pit. I sold my 2006 Impala with only
about 50,000 miles on it. The Transmission went ($2000.00+). Tie rods, etc,
etc. Besides while your Camaro sits at home it continues to depreciate. I would
drive and enjoy your new Camaro by getting a good set of All Season tires. They
can be used the year around. With the right tires these cars are not bad in the
snow imo.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
I've got a 1996 chevy 2500 that I thought would be able to make it through a few winters and it is turning into a money/time pit. I went the snow tire route. Generally speaking, Tire Rack does a great job with fitment, and I'm not aware of any issues from 18s that they list on their site with the 4 piston Brembos.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Whis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting irish View Post
I've got a 1996 chevy 2500 that I thought would be able to make it through a few winters and it is turning into a money/time pit. I went the snow tire route. Generally speaking, Tire Rack does a great job with fitment, and I'm not aware of any issues from 18s that they list on their site with the 4 piston Brembos.
who ever does their coding/ui is really terrible. I'd like to browse other wheels than the ones in their package without entering 3-4 parameters every time
Old 10-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I debated the same thing. Forget the more expensive money pit/extra insurance.

I went with a full second set of dedicated 18" winter tires and wheels. Ordered them today. Call Rudy at tirerack. Great guy.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Whis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capisce View Post
I debated the same thing. Forget the more expensive money pit/extra insurance.

I went with a full second set of dedicated 18" winter tires and wheels. Ordered them today. Call Rudy at tirerack. Great guy.
they rake you over the coals with TPMS sensors... think i will buy them elsewhere
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
they rake you over the coals with TPMS sensors... think i will buy them elsewhere
There are a few sites which sell them for $120 instead of the $320 that tire rack charges. Definitely a rip off.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
I thought the same. Call Rudy...
Old 10-20-2016, 05:57 AM   #10
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
I just bought a full set including shipping from EBay for $100. These are GM sensors. The seller is a Corvette shop in Michigan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391582122698

These are going in the 18" OEM 2016 wheels with center caps I bought for $500 shipped off EBay. Between the two I'm cutting close to $400 off my winter tire/wheel package. Bridgestone has a $70 rebate on Blizzaks until 10/31. I'm going to head to a couple tire dealers and see if I can buy them now and have them install the middle of next month. That should put me comfortably under $1400 for the entire package. More money for mods....

Shipping just kills you on these larger items.

Last edited by bturner2; 10-20-2016 at 08:07 AM.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
I got my car December of 2015. (1SS with A8). Took it straight to Discount Tire before they had any measurements. They mounted up a handful of different tires and wheels and found the perfect combo (wheels were easy, tires were all too tall as they kept wanting to use the ones that fit the 5th gen). I went with the Blizzaks, 245's on all 4 corners. I gotta say, I was SHOCKED how well this did in the snow and ice. I put an expensive set of Michellin's (all season) on my wife's front wheel drive SUV (which they had on display as a recommendation for snow/ice)... and I can honestly say I had way more control, could stop/start/turn,(and I repeat STOP as that is the most important one in winter), way better than I could in her vehicle. Put it in drive, and don't worry about a thing. (Snow ice mode helps a bit, but tour mode is good too). When the snow is over 6 inches deep... stay home, no reason to risk packing your radiator full of ice. No one should be out in that (in any vehicle) anyway, keep the roads clear for the plow trucks and the doctors and nurses to get to work.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCam View Post
I got my car December of 2015. (1SS with A8). Took it straight to Discount Tire before they had any measurements. They mounted up a handful of different tires and wheels and found the perfect combo (wheels were easy, tires were all too tall as they kept wanting to use the ones that fit the 5th gen). I went with the Blizzaks, 245's on all 4 corners. I gotta say, I was SHOCKED how well this did in the snow and ice. I put an expensive set of Michellin's (all season) on my wife's front wheel drive SUV (which they had on display as a recommendation for snow/ice)... and I can honestly say I had way more control, could stop/start/turn,(and I repeat STOP as that is the most important one in winter), way better than I could in her vehicle. Put it in drive, and don't worry about a thing. (Snow ice mode helps a bit, but tour mode is good too). When the snow is over 6 inches deep... stay home, no reason to risk packing your radiator full of ice. No one should be out in that (in any vehicle) anyway, keep the roads clear for the plow trucks and the doctors and nurses to get to work.
Agree on all counts here...all-seasons are just "ok" in the Winter but can be dangerous if you get caught out in the thick stuff. I crashed a Subaru on brand new all-seasons trying to creep down a hill to get home...AWD can't do shit when you are trying to brake.

Get the 18s with winter tires...Tire Rack has ALWAYS been spot-on with their measurements for my cars...don't get a winter beater unless it is a smokin' deal on a car that you know is in good condition (like one of your gearhead friends owns it).
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheels and tires, winter driving