Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #43

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Sounds similar to Chevy's classic "QC Holds" on the 6th Gen Camaros before they got production rolling . Except no one on the outside knew any of the reasons Camaros were deemed undeliverable to anxious owners who were kept in the dark. Maybe that's a result of a historic car-maker like GM having plenty of practice at keeping all their troubles a secret from their customers and the public...Not to mention "needing cash" to operate?? Since when are all the American car maker's (especially GM) immune and innocent in that area?

For Tesla being a brand new car manufacturer it's real easy to be critical. Chevy's been around for a hundred years and still build cars with numerous QC problems. Sort of like calling the kettle black, isn't it?

A train wreck?...How many time has GM and Chevy had to be put back on the tracks with their products and finances?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #44
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Every manufacturer has QC holds. But they don't have to fix 90% of the vehicles coming off the line, or five years into production.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #45
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
The problem is Tesla makes sky high statements concerning the quality of their cars and now the truck. These claims are unrealistic. So when the discrepancies are uncovered they are a big deal.

As an example Tesla stated they guarantee the truck will not break down for 1,000,000 miles. Yes I got that number right, I checked and rechecked. It is a ridiculous claim. There are far too many parts in any vehicle to make a claim like this. Yes I know electric motors have fewer parts. But there are also many other parts from suspension to computer systems.

I like the idea of electric trucks in theory however I'm not sure how they will perform in practice. I was an independent owner operator driving over the road. The Tesla will come in 2 models 300 mile and 500 mile versions. This is fine for local delivery but would never work over the road. My last truck, a Peterbuilt, had twin 125 gallon fuel tanks. At 7 mpg that gave me an effective range of 1200 to 1500 miles. Until electric truck get close to that range they will have only limited application.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #46
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
They went thru the first few revisions years ago. I have a good idea what it'll take to back a dynamic articulating vehicle autonomously. It's possible they're doing it in a controlled environment now but they're not close to going public with it. Too many variables.

I'm not gonna go into it. If they want my opinion from 30 yrs experience they're gonna have to pay me for it.

John Henry. Didn't he kick the steam hammers butt?

I'm gonna die with a wheel in my hand.
You'll share a similar fate, then:

"a race that he won only to die in victory with hammer in hand as his heart gave out from stress"
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #47
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
The problem is Tesla makes sky high statements concerning the quality of their cars and now the truck. These claims are unrealistic. So when the discrepancies are uncovered they are a big deal.

As an example Tesla stated they guarantee the truck will not break down for 1,000,000 miles. Yes I got that number right, I checked and rechecked. It is a ridiculous claim. There are far too many parts in any vehicle to make a claim like this. Yes I know electric motors have fewer parts. But there are also many other parts from suspension to computer systems.

I like the idea of electric trucks in theory however I'm not sure how they will perform in practice. I was an independent owner operator driving over the road. The Tesla will come in 2 models 300 mile and 500 mile versions. This is fine for local delivery but would never work over the road. My last truck, a Peterbuilt, had twin 125 gallon fuel tanks. At 7 mpg that gave me an effective range of 1200 to 1500 miles. Until electric truck get close to that range they will have only limited application.
Electric trucks, IMO would be perfect taking trailers from terminal to terminal.

IMO What they should have tried starting with is straight trucks instead of jumping right to semi's
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #48
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Electric trucks, IMO would be perfect taking trailers from terminal to terminal.

IMO What they should have tried starting with is straight trucks instead of jumping right to semi's
Yeah... these would be great for working in port's or trucking terminals.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #49
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Instead of manning up and admitting there is a problem and that they are taking steps to fix it, they are like oh no we have a flawless quality control system in place, we have no issues what so ever our cars are perfect! They make these outrageous claims, then go to mass produce a car and can't build more than 3 a day. If the company had some leadership that didn't have their head in outer space they really start kicking ass.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #50
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Oh please! Truckers are throttled down so bad they're nothing but a bunch of lazy donuts nowadays, because of groups like MADD and PATT..... We used to do things that you wouldn't believe if I told you. And yeah, we were likely safer as a whole than this new breed of steering wheel holders in the industry now.

I'm close enough to retirement now I DGAS..... I'll be gone fishing LONG before tech replaces what I'm capable of. Actually I doubt they will ever totally replace all the drivers duties with automation.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #51
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Oh please! Truckers are throttled down so bad they're nothing but a bunch of lazy donuts nowadays, because of groups like MADD and PATT..... We used to do things that you wouldn't believe if I told you. And yeah, we were likely safer as a whole than this new breed of steering wheel holders in the industry now.

I'm close enough to retirement now I DGAS..... I'll be gone fishing LONG before tech replaces what I'm capable of. Actually I doubt they will ever totally replace all the drivers duties with automation.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #52
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
We have a long way to go before autonomous cars really becomes a thing...I mean GM has a pretty advanced autonomous fleet out there and it even got stumped by a taco truck the other day.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #53
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
We have a long way to go before autonomous cars really becomes a thing...I mean GM has a pretty advanced autonomous fleet out there and it even got stumped by a taco truck the other day.
I thought that wasn't supposed to happen anymore.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #54
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
I thought that wasn't supposed to happen anymore.
But, it's taco's...
Attached Images