Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
GM needs to listen to the consumers more.

(Not that it applies to SS guys) But us V6 guys really got screwed when they rolled out the LFX engine and decided to integrate the exhaust manifold. Not having long tube headers is awful.

You certainly didn't see Ford taking away long tubes for the Mustang V6...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
GM has been on a roll me thinks. Go GM go.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
(Not that it applies to SS guys) But us V6 guys really got screwed when they rolled out the LFX engine and decided to integrate the exhaust manifold. Not having long tube headers is awful.

but...you do see them starting to phase out the V6 Mustang all together. although in this particular case the 2.3T should be an all around better performer than the 3.7
Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
The 2.3T is designed to be a revived SVO Mustang. They're also going to revive the Mach 1 and have a GT350 instead of a GT500 supposedly... They want more models.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
The 2.3T is designed to be a revived SVO Mustang. They're also going to revive the Mach 1 and have a GT350 instead of a GT500 supposedly... They want more models.
Actually the 2.3 is the base engine, everywhere in the world but in the US. we kept the 3.7 mostly for entry cost reasons and rental car fleets. and Ford has said they will not have a special name for the ecoboost model (e.g. no SVO tag).

as to the mach and gt350 there definitely is a SVT product in development. we'll see how that turns out.

/thread jack
Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The LFX not accepting headers is a bit of a bummer in some ways, but in reality I feel the LFX is an all around better and more mature version of the LLT.

LFX already starts with a HP advantage as it is . By the time you throw on high flow cats on the LFX versus LT headers on the LLT your basically even, if not still slighly ahead with the LFX.

Now add in the ability of the LFX to be tuned easier, along with reliability changes that were likely made to keep the timing chain from going out early and what not and I'd gladly take the LFX over my LLT (as long as i can keep my color lol)

The LFX is going to be phased out over the next year or two for what we hear is a new V6 called the "LGX". Not much information out about this engine yet.

Ford has chosen to use the turbo 4 as a base engine, and it will not get a new designated name over the base V6. Based on what I've read, the V6 may only last another year or two in the Mustang before you see it gone for good....unless the V6 sells better than Ford predicts.

As for GM, honestly I'll be a little surprised if they don't offer a turbo 4 as well, but I expect to see this next gen V6 in the 6th gen Camaro. I have a feeling this next gen V6 will be a very advanced engine, with all the goodies the LFX has (direct injection, cam phasing) along with cylinder shutoff and other fuel saving technology. I'd love to see a 3.6 - 3.8 liter V6 with all of the above technology. You could get great highway MPG with the cylinder shutoff, but then still be able to push 340 - 350HP with a decent displacement. Thats more HP than the stock turbo 4 will make, but I don't see any way the V6 could match the turbo 4 on low end torque.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Michael2000

Drives: .
A turbo 4 is hardly a replacement for a V6 in my opinion. They are just too rough.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:

And yet you bought one anyway. You're sending GM mixed messages.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
All I know is it better be faster than any other V6 out there ,
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't think the engineering of the LFX was a deliberate attempt to hurt V6 guys. There's a lot more that goes into engine design than whether enthusiasts will like it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
99% of the people who buy v6 Camaros won't be modding the engine. Plus it's GM's global V6 engine.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
El Rey

Drives: 2014 Blua Ray Metallic 1lt RS
Yeah I don't see how adding more horsepower and making it more efficient could be a bad thing.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Wasn't the LFX head designed that way to simplify adding turbos? I'm pretty sure the LF3 turbo mounts directly to the heads.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Wasn't the LFX head designed that way to simplify adding turbos? I'm pretty sure the LF3 turbo mounts directly to the heads.
Not saying they didn't have the LF3 in mind when the LFX made its debut...but it wasn't designed that way specifically for adding turbos. The exhaust outlets, along with other small changes from the LLT were made to improve airflow and efficiency. It resulted in a modest power bump and peak torque coming on a bit sooner.

The LF3 (the twin turbo you speak of) is pretty similar to the LFX in that it is derived from it, but the LF3 has many internal changes and uses lots of different external parts as well.