Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Trading in the whole car just because the timing chain needs to be replaced? Uh, I don't know about that. Last time I checked, these cars are still worth some bucks. A new timing chain wouldn't cost more than the value of the car.

However, I understand that some people get sick of vehicles and when a large repair bill crops up, they rather just trade it in on something else.

I wonder if the trade-in dealer knows about the timing chain code and if that affected the value.
It's possible the terms he got for the new car are fantastic. Could have been zero/low down on something with a great warranty.
As you said, some people just don't want to deal with the headache of a repair like that. If a daily driver, it's hard to have any downtime at all when a problem like this happens.

Our love for these cars makes it difficult to understand that some people just aren't as enthralled by the Camaro as most of us here are. For others, it's just another 'white good' or disposable item after a few years. If the Camaro truly had an effect on him, he will probably be back in a few years when the situation changes. Most of us would have a very hard time walking away from the Camaro unless going to a Vette or another muscle car. If not, best of luck to him.

I don't understand some people's hard feelings.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #16
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
It's possible the terms he got for the new car are fantastic. Could have been zero/low down on something with a great warranty.
As you said, some people just don't want to deal with the headache of a repair like that. If a daily driver, it's hard to have any downtime at all when a problem like this happens.

Our love for these cars makes it difficult to understand that some people just aren't as enthralled by the Camaro as most of us here are. For others, it's just another 'white good' or disposable item after a few years. If the Camaro truly had an effect on him, he will probably be back in a few years when the situation changes. Most of us would have a very hard time walking away from the Camaro unless going to a Vette or another muscle car. If not, best of luck to him.

I don't understand some people's hard feelings.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:39 AM   #17
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
If it were a large repair bill on an engine with a reputation for being problematic, I would trade it as well.
What's so problematic about the LLT?

Once you do the timing chain and related components, it's fairly reliable after that. No engine these days is going to be absolutely bullet proof unless we're talking about the old 22r or something.

Why do I mention that particular engine? Well, because I had one in an '88 Toyota PU with 450k+ original miles and it ran like a top. Yeah, it consumed oil a little bit, but it ran good and always passed smog.

The pic just strikes me as being sad seeing that beautiful IOM Camaro sitting at a Nissan dealer ready to be traded in a sea of boring family sedans and CUV's.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #18
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Even if it's $1200, if it runs for another year that's only $100/month. A lot less than a new car payment.
But, these things are subjective. What other repairs may come up? How is the interior/body, etc?
A new car is always nice, of course, it will be more reliable, have updated features... if you can afford it.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #19
Ynkeeraidr

Drives: 2011 2ss L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by $inferno View Post
Well its time I say goodbye. We traded our 2010 IOM Camaro in today. It was sad to see it go but it needed more work than it was worth. We kept up regular maintenance but the timing chain code showed up. Well it was fun! Have a good one!

Enjoy your new ride! If it doesn't work out, buy another Camaro (SS V8??) subliminal message being sent.
Ynkeeraidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:08 PM   #20
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
been on here since early 2010, alot of folks have moved on, just the nature of things. Personally have thought about trading but just can't bring myself to do it. to each there own!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #21
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
been on here since early 2010, alot of folks have moved on, just the nature of things. Personally have thought about trading but just can't bring myself to do it. to each there own!
If it weren't for direct injection, the interior and higher price, I would consider a 2019 SS 6M coupe.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #22
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss/rs/1le
Keep it! LS swap it lol !! I love that colour too!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #23
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
If it weren't for direct injection, the interior and higher price, I would consider a 2019 SS 6M coupe.
Really, even with the yucky update they did for '19? I thought us 5th gen owners were more than just people who can't afford a brand new 6th gen.

Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't buy one.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #24
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss/rs/1le
What’s wrong with direct injection? Is it the carbon? I do love my ls3
Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #25
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Really, even with the yucky update they did for '19? I thought us 5th gen owners were more than just people who can't afford a brand new 6th gen.

Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't buy one.
I love the '19 SS front end and higher cowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weSS1LEy View Post
What’s wrong with direct injection? Is it the carbon? I do love my ls3
Yes, I'm reading really bad things about the long term expectations across all brands.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:49 AM   #26
gringo
Account Suspended

Direct injection is not that bad and once you put a catch can on it, you eliminate most of the carbon coking problems associated with it.

However, most people who lease or trade them in every 3 years probably won't care nor add a catch can.

I think GM will eventually add port fuel injection to their direct injection fuel system on the upcoming LT2 though. Other manufacturers are doing it already to their direct injected engines to eliminate the valve coking maintenance issue with D.I.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #27
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
...I think GM will eventually add port fuel injection to their direct injection fuel system on the upcoming LT2 though. Other manufacturers are doing it already to their direct injected engines to eliminate the valve coking maintenance issue with D.I.
Ford placed a direct/port injection engine in the 2018+ Mustang GT and they're failing at an abysmal rate - many with less than 10K miles.

I'll stick with the tried and true.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #28
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Ford placed a direct/port injection engine in the 2018+ Mustang GT and they're failing at an abysmal rate - many with less than 10K miles.

I'll stick with the tried and true.
It has nothing to do with the fuel delivery system but a lot to do with the new cylinder coating I believe. OP sorry to see you go but that time will come for most of us. I'm currently considering moving up to a C7 Vette & go back and forth on the idea. But I'm still here for now..........
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote