Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
C7 to a Camaro, thoughts?

I own a 2016 Z51 (M7, PDR, NPP, magride). Picked it up barely used for a steal 13 months ago and love the car. It's my first American car (owned lots of Japanese and German cars all of them sporty). After a long line of turbo 4 engines (and a few V6's) what I love most is that naturally aspirated V8 power and the amazing sound the LT1 produces. Honestly, I don't think I can go back to smaller displacement turbo motors. At least until I am forced to.

So here is the issue. I love everything about the Corvette in terms of handling, power, etc. I love the looks and I bought the car for a steal. So many friends, neighbors, and even strangers comment on how great the car is and am amazed that I paid well under $50K for it.

Sadly, I have only put about 4K miles on the car since I bought it. I live in New England so rarely drive it in the winter. But what really changed was the fact that I used to drive the Vette to and from work almost everyday but my daughter got accepted into a competitive dance team and 3 (sometimes 4) days a week I am having to go straight from work to various activities. Another daughter picked up competitive figure skating and I am also running there 3 days a week (lots of weeknds).

Not comfortable putting a 7 year old or 10 year old (very petite girls) in the front seat of a Vette neither is my wife. So my "beater" 2015 Honda Fit gets double the mileage of the Vette and I am spending way too much time driving it while the Vette sits.

I started thinking about other options. I drove a 2018 Mustang GT with perfromance pack 1 and really liked the car. I like the looks, I liked the interior, and it has lots of features. Then I test drove a 2SS (no magride, non-1LE) and was very impressed. The standard 2SS had better handling than the Mustang and noticebly more torque. In all honesty, the Camaro barely gave up much to my Z51.

Still on the fence about selling the Vette but I am going to test drive a 1LE next week. Due to kids, I am not tracking the Vette as much as I hoped, but I still think I want a 1LE when I can track. I don't want to mess with aftermarket parts and dealing with cooling issues, etc. I also like the more aggressive look of the 1LE.

Thoughts? Anyone else sold a C7 for a Camaro? I loved the way the Camaro drove, but I am not 100% sold on the looks (1LE might change that). I also still have the 18 Mustang in the running. I could get one with magride and PP1 and I think the car would be fine for the street and maybe a little better with kids in the back.

Would love some opinions and feedback. Anyone else have small, petite kids in the 6th gen Camaro, I would like your feedback.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yup, sold my C7 for the Camaro, but due to ease of exit and entry on the Camaro. Got tired of getting “up and out” to get out, esp when I use it as a DD. other than that I loved the C7, and would still have it if was my 2nd car and garage toy. The C7 also let me get my “got have a V-8” out of my system, and A loaded v6 was perfectly fine for me.

Trade in day:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Not sure what your budget is... but there are slightly used 2017 ZL1's out there in the 50's. If you get a 2017 Zl1, your life will change, and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
I started out with the idea that I was going to buy a C7, but wound up with a Camaro instead. My S.O. convinced me that the Camaro would be a more useable car. She actually liked the looks of the Camaro better and wanted the extra space for road trips. After test driving lots of both, the Camaro won out given that the Camaro gave me 90%+ of the driving experience that the C7 did and $30K cheaper.

That said, I still think the C7 is one of the best looking cars on the road today, but I think I drive the Camaro more than I would the C7
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
rjacobs

Drives: none
IMO you wont be happy going from a C7 to an SS.... A C7 to a ZL1 is a different story altogether.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
2016 DSOM 2lt, auto, Corvette 8000 miles

2017 SS 50th grey only 500 miles just purchased and drove it home,

2013 mustang for wifey, 6 cylinder convertible

You are right about the Corvette, nice car, but no room, harder entry and exit

Camaro you can drive with the right tires year around and enjoy the same engine,

The ZL1 supercharged will give you all the jollies you need,

not a bad decision

get the color you want with the track pack and enjoy yourself,

the only drawback is the rough ride as a daily driver, you need to be in the seat for a drive to see if you like it or if it is a little rough for daily driving

stig eh
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
TunaMelt

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
How tall are you? The front seat will block any legroom and will actually make it where shins cannot physically exist between the two long before the seat is all the way back. If you're moving to a Camaro to fit kids then you should test drive with them back there. The backseats in this car, IMO, are for insurance purposes. They are useless.
TunaMelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
solarstingray

Drives: 2014 c7 corvette and 2017 camaro ss
yup sold my c7 for a new Camaro ss fully loaded,

I miss the c7 corvette but my pocket book and wife thanks me,

my c7 was actually featured in corvette magazine
solarstingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
ClaunchOfficial

Drives: 2024 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMelt View Post
How tall are you? The front seat will block any legroom and will actually make it where shins cannot physically exist between the two long before the seat is all the way back. If you're moving to a Camaro to fit kids then you should test drive with them back there. The backseats in this car, IMO, are for insurance purposes. They are useless.
Agreed. 6th gen rear seats barely more than a padded shelf. It's almost annoying getting a hoodie out of the back let a lone a child. It can be done I've had car seat in my 1le twice, seat all the forward. No leg room otherwise. **EDIT things you are saying about your C7 sitting I say the exact same about my 1LE.
ClaunchOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Does the SS not have mag ride? The ride in my Zl1 is superb.

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
You might be better off trying to find a Chevy SS if your going to be hauling kids to activities. 4 Doors + LS3 and all the tech goodies you could want.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #12
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
I just recently sold my '18 Z06 back to the dealer that I bought it from. Loved the car, but did not love the car payment, especially that it sits for 6 months in the garage during Winter and has very limited use in the nice weather. Just couldn't justify it any longer. The dealer did give me a generous figure for it! So, I found a low mileage (5500 miles) '16 Camaro SS Convertible with a 6 speed manual and mag ride for a fraction of the price of the Z06! The Camaro SS Vert will still give me fun in the nice weather without breaking the bank.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #13
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
You might be better off trying to find a Chevy SS if your going to be hauling kids to activities. 4 Doors + LS3 and all the tech goodies you could want.
I was about to type the same thing
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #14
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMelt View Post
I would disagree some on this. If you have a smaller person/young adult in the front passenger seat, there is plenty of room in the back for another child. Behind the drivers seat I would agree. If you are over 5'10" the seat will almost touch the back seat. Especially if you have an automatic. I think people with the manual tend to sit forward a little more. I would def go with the ZL1 though if given the option.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote