Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #29
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I was just passing along my experience. My point being, be careful what you wish for. you might just be trading one problem for another.

-Geoff
Understood. I didn't even know it was the rotors till I heard someone else complain. Then found the numerous threads about it. Thought GM had moved past those 4th gen days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #30
1fujifilm

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas2742 View Post
"Ive got nothing but praise to say about the Z26 pads. As advertised, brake dust is almost completely gone keeping my wheels clean. Before I had to clean them virtually after each drive!
Fudge yes, stock pads totally suck! I would argue a pad cannot work well unless they drop dust. Why is it my 2500 Chev plow truck has no dust and it is under duty with a 1,600 plow plus harder stops? I don't buy it; I did buy the Z-26 pads (got em at autoanything with a jegs price match for $124.19 all in for front and back) now that is a deal. Strange thing, Chev makes my truck and car; cant they work together?

Bear
1fujifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #31
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
Fudge yes, stock pads totally suck! I would argue a pad cannot work well unless they drop dust. Why is it my 2500 Chev plow truck has no dust and it is under duty with a 1,600 plow plus harder stops? I don't buy it; I did buy the Z-26 pads (got em at autoanything with a jegs price match for $124.19 all in for front and back) now that is a deal. Strange thing, Chev makes my truck and car; cant they work together?

Bear
Do your truck brake pads and rotors wear out?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #32
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Did these 9000 miles ago. No discernible difference in stopping performance for me and have had plenty of panic stops with the way chodes around here drive. Dust is minimal which was the real benefit.

While there could be a very minor difference in performance, let's not go fear-mongering and make it out like moving to theses causes and increase of 10 ft in stopping 60-0 or you're Indiana Jones on a mine cart and your stick brake just broke off.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #33
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Brakes work by friction. The byproducts of brake friction are heat and dust. The better the brake pad, the dirtier and noisy they are. Racing brakes make the squeal of a screaming squealing pig sound like music and they make dust faster than Pig Pen in Peanuts.

There is no such thing as a pad that stops as well and yet by some magic makes less dust. I wish there were. 99.999% of the time most people will never ever need the ALL the power of the excellent pads supplied by Chevy for the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros. They are, in my opinion, the best combination street drive / light track pads available. Stepping down for less dust may never hurt you. However, should you ever be distracted while driving and need to stop before rear ending the car in front of you, those few inches may be the difference between and accident and a close call. God forbid a child dart out between cars on a residential street when inches become life and death.

I am not being critical, just trying to be informative, and accurate among a sea of marketing and web based mis-information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Did these 9000 miles ago. No discernible difference in stopping performance for me and have had plenty of panic stops with the way chodes around here drive. Dust is minimal which was the real benefit.

While there could be a very minor difference in performance, let's not go fear-mongering and make it out like moving to theses causes and increase of 10 ft in stopping 60-0 or you're Indiana Jones on a mine cart and your stick brake just broke off.
Fear mongering?

There are times when a few inches will be the difference between an accident and possibly life and death. No fear-mongering. Reality.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #34
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'll just say that if I was going to be doing a few track days with my car, I would have left the stock pads on, if for no other reason than just b/c that's what Chevy put on there as part of making the car track capable from the factory.

But my Camaro will never see brake punishment even remotely close to being on a race track. It will basically be nothing more than what amounts to a casual driver with some "spirited" sprints thrown in.

So for me, these pads are fantastic. For others in different situations maybe not. But brake feel and response in regular driving seems no different to me.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #35
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Fear mongering?

There are times when a few inches will be the difference between an accident and possibly life and death. No fear-mongering. Reality.
Lots of drag guys swap to V6 brakes to clear 15” wheels. Don’t know how there’s any of them left as they’ve surely all died on their maiden drives. Realism is that there are any number of variables in daily use that are far FAR less controlled than in track use because the tolerances and extremes just aren’t there. As your brake wear, tire wear, type and pressure, road conditions, precipitation and a million other variables will have a greater effect for daily normal use than swapping to these pads will. You also tend to compensate as your components wear and/or lose peak function. It’s not a sudden “OMG I CANT STOP”.

It’s exaggeration when we’re talking day to day use. If you want to go with track experience i’ll defer to you all day long. It’s a different environment completely. This? No. There’s no huge difference.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #36
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Lots of drag guys swap to V6 brakes to clear 15” wheels. Don’t know how there’s any of them left as they’ve surely all died on their maiden drives. Realism is that there are any number of variables in daily use that are far FAR less controlled than in track use because the tolerances and extremes just aren’t there. As your brake wear, tire wear, type and pressure, road conditions, precipitation and a million other variables will have a greater effect for daily normal use than swapping to these pads will. You also tend to compensate as your components wear and/or lose peak function. It’s not a sudden “OMG I CANT STOP”.

It’s exaggeration when we’re talking day to day use. If you want to go with track experience i’ll defer to you all day long. It’s a different environment completely. This? No. There’s no huge difference.
Inches is an exaggeration?

Drag guys swapping out the rear brakes is only a good idea for the drag strip.

SMH...
Old 12-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #37
1fujifilm

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Do your truck brake pads and rotors wear out?
I sell after 30k miles or about 1.5 years and never put tires or brakes on my trucks. I even put boats on in the summer and sleds on in the winter with trailers and they still don't wear out or dust. These are Ram 1500's, back in the day new Ford's were as bad as our Camaro's are; to me the manufacturer tries to save a new bucks and it gets us.

Bear
1fujifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #38
V8Snob
Banned

Drives: SS Camaro
Wheels don't look good and the caliper covers are pretty bad.
V8Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #39
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
I sell after 30k miles or about 1.5 years and never put tires or brakes on my trucks. I even put boats on in the summer and sleds on in the winter with trailers and they still don't wear out or dust. These are Ram 1500's, back in the day new Ford's were as bad as our Camaro's are; to me the manufacturer tries to save a new bucks and it gets us.

Bear
They do wear out. As they wear, the rotor is ground away making dust. As the pads are ground away, they make dust. Where do you think the rubber goes as your tires wear out?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #40
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
They do wear out. As they wear, the rotor is ground away making dust. As the pads are ground away, they make dust. Where do you think the rubber goes as your tires wear out?
Oh.. you are one of those.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #41
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I'll get a set once the stock ones wear out.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #42
HB1SS

Drives: 17 1SS
Proper Bedding is a big help. If you bed the stock setup from new as most do with aftermarket pads you will see excellent results. During bedding you will have dust all over the wheels and side of the car but if you bed properly like suggested by the stoptech site everything will be good. I can go hundreds of miles with the stock pads and do a wipe down with little dust. Prior to this car I had BMW's and they have much softer pads with more dust if not bedded.
HB1SS is offline   Reply With Quote