#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #29
Miss Delgado

Drives: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
experts also said that the 427 was dead then the C6 Z06 Corvette came out, the decision to build or not to build a Z/28 comes down to an ability to produce a Z/28 and a business case for producing one.
I don't understand you here. What are trying to say actually?
Miss Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #30
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
The lightning lap times are about as precise as controlled as a game of Russian Roulette! They don't even run the same driver. Imagine if you were testing one car and I were testing the other. Who ever has the fastest lap, it doesn't necessarily mean they have the fastest car.

Also, imagine the Z/28 without those trofeo R's or the 1LE with R compound tires! Bottom line is the 1LE is a much better platform! The Z/28 ultimately was the ultimate lipstick on a pig fix. Best pig we've ever seen, but still a dressed up pig. That's why the 1LE can do just as much with less power, less sticky tires, steel brakes, and still have a backseat, A/C, Performance Data Recorder, and Apple Car Play! That's just on a 1SS! If you get a 2SS 1LE, add heated and vented seats, dual zone CC, blind spot monitoring, available built in Nav. Also lets not forget that GM will honor the warranty on the SS 1LE even if something fails on track!

So even if you are a hard core track guy, I still think the SS 1LE is your best option. Consumables are lower so you can track more often for less money and it leaves a lot more room for improvements with mods than the Z/28 does. Get a dedicated set of R compound tires for the track and I doubt you will have any issue dusting off a Z/28 if the drivers are even.
Glad you like your car - but its clear from this post that you have a biased prospective, so much hate for the Gen 5 and Z/28 - so much love for the Gen 6 and 1LE!

The Gen 6 platform is an advance over the Gen 5, no disputing that. The 1LE is a really good car and a good value - can be used on street or the track and offers lots of extra street comfort items.

Z/28 turned out to be a limited production (1,801) special run car, as price, marketing and end of platform timing (Gen 6 on the way) made it miss the market. Today it trades at a value price for a great package.

But at today's pricing the 1LE is a very good comparison. If you want street car you can take to the track and get more creature comforts and nicer street suspension, then for most people the 1LE is the better option.

If you want a limited production car that is more than the sum of its parts, then the Z/28 is a great option. There are guys daily driving their Z and love it. They have removed the Trofeo R's in favor of street tires and found good improvement in both reducing road noise and more compliant ride without giving up too much performance at the track. The Z is not for everyone, but seems that those that have one enjoy them every time the turn the key, whether its daily or just on the weekend.

As far as consumables on the track go there is really no difference. The ceramic brakes discs are more expensive, but last many miles longer than steel offsetting the cost difference and of course can be converted to steel when they wear out using same calipers, so no cost issue vs 1LE, other than some savings up front with the extended life of the ceramics. Other consumables are pretty much the same all around for both cars - both very reliable track cars.

Each offers interesting benefits and based on what the OP's needs are there is a right answer for him. Both are great cars and there is no bad choice between them!

Attached is something put out by Chevrolet Performance on the Z when it was introduced that gives an idea of how much different it really was than the Gen 5 SS.

Good luck to the OP in finding the right car for you!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Camaro-Z28-Tech-Backgrounder-2013 (1).pdf (6.13 MB, 133 views)
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #31
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
What’s that picture in your avatar? Gen V Z/28?

You were speaking of bias so I just want to be clear.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #32
mb13

Drives: 2015 Z28 #980
The new 1le is up there with the vette gs in best track bang for your buck. Let's be realistic though for a moment, can the 1le run a fast lap? It can keep up with the z28 on some tracks. for how long though? 3 laps? 1 lap won't show how much the z28 will beat the 1l. that 4 second gap a lap at VIR will be much larger each lap after 5-10 laps. Both are great cars and I'm glad to see GM moving in this direction with 2 bad ass track cars in the Camaro and corvette. The 1le will have too much drop off in brakes and tires to be able to keep up with the z28 in multiple lap races. I've driven the 17 1le along with some 5th gen models, I wouldn't give up my z28 for a 1le. If I had more time to track it more, only other Camaro I'd trade the z28 for would be the new zl1 1le.
mb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #33
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
What’s that picture in your avatar? Gen V Z/28?

You were speaking of bias so I just want to be clear.
Owning one versus the other does not mean you have bias - but what you say about one or the other would in fact indicate if one had a bias - Read his post - then read mine - am I biased in my review?
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #34
Reefblue42

Drives: '20 ZL1/'97 SS LT4
Living here in Michigan, I don't have to trailer mine to tracks...it gets driven every time. I can daily this car (in the summer months), the DSSVs ride rough but its not that bad--I don't though, my GTI pulls those duties. It dyno'd at 509 at the wheels so these babies are putting a lot more than what they say. The LS7 is a beast and it hasn't suffered any issues (tires...different story, lol). Dry sump lube, doesn't overheat, and it has the best brakes I've ever used. The DSSVs are perfect and suit the nature of this car with perfection.

I love the 1LE, don't get me wrong. Love those wheels! Autumn '18 I hope to have a ZL1 1LE in my garage. I'm a fan of the DSSV tech and want that beast sitting next to my Z!

Also...Mark Stielow is the man! No one has mentioned him...sad. hahaha

Last edited by Reefblue42; 12-10-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Reefblue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #35
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Z/28 for a track only car, 1LE if you want to drive it daily as well.
I beg to differ, having driven both extensively on the track, the 6th gen chassis of the 1LE is just inherently better. Even with the DSSVs and 305s on the the front, the Z/28 just doesn’t have the turn in (or composure) of the 1LE. The technical sections of my local track is where I would destroy my buddy’s Z/28 (exact same driver ability between us).

Last edited by 5senna5; 12-10-2017 at 07:43 PM.
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #36
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Delgado View Post
I don't understand you here. What are trying to say actually?
When people say "there will be" or "there will not be" said vehicle or said car are making these claims not based on what automakers base the decision to build a given vehicle. So when experts say "Z/28 will never be made again" take it with the grain of salt that such claims deserve to be made. Unless it was the CEO or head of product development making said claim it doesn't have any weight. Even though CEOs come and go and product development heads also come and go.

To sum it up, will there be a Z/28 in the sixth generation car? I don't know but from reading interviews with Al he would be interested in doing a Z/28. Ultimately I think the continued success of the GT350R Mustang may give an incentive to produce a N/A Z/28 Camaro while the existence of the ZL1 1LE may hurt the business case for producing such car.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #37
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5senna5 View Post
I beg to differ, having driven both extensively on the track, the 6th gen chassis of the 1LE is just inherently better. Even with the DSSVs and 305s on the the front, the Z/28 just doesn’t have the turn in (or composure) of the 1LE. The technical sections of my local track is where I would destroy my buddy’s Z/28 (exact same driver ability between us).
Allow me to setup your buddy's Z/28 for the track and let's see where it ends up.

Having built a number of road course 5th gens and having played with the ZL1 1LE, I am confident in saying they are about a dead heat. I had the owner of a ZLE drive his Z and a built 5th Gen back to back and the differences were hard to identify. It was an interesting back to back.

Long story short, I'll take the dry sumped, cc brakes over the 6th Gen SS 1LE. No mods, sticker to sticker, I'll take the ZLE
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #38
mustangcrusher1

Drives: 2017 camaro SS blue w/white stripes
The performance is about equal, but I love the LS7 427 beast. So side by side; black Z28 vs black 1LE...which one looks like a KILLER! The Z28's ride is rough even more than a Z06, but its a ****ing race car!
mustangcrusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #39
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Allow me to setup your buddy's Z/28 for the track and let's see where it ends up.

Having built a number of road course 5th gens and having played with the ZL1 1LE, I am confident in saying they are about a dead heat. I had the owner of a ZLE drive his Z and a built 5th Gen back to back and the differences were hard to identify. It was an interesting back to back.

Long story short, I'll take the dry sumped, cc brakes over the 6th Gen SS 1LE. No mods, sticker to sticker, I'll take the ZLE

Interesting, do do track setups for C7s as well? Just sold my 1LE for an ‘18 Grand Sport (non Z07)
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #40
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5senna5 View Post
Interesting, do do track setups for C7s as well? Just sold my 1LE for an ‘18 Grand Sport (non Z07)
You are going to love your GS on a road course with a road course alignment. The biggest improvement we can make is to square up the wheel and tire sizes and a set of Hoosiers or Ferrari Challenge scuffs.

Name:  20171102_164647.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  216.0 KB

I can't believe tjhiss is the best picture we have

Forgeline GA3R Open Lug wheels that put more rubber up front relative to the rear is magic in the C7.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #41
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I would pick the Z28. I am not a fan of the LT1, and LOVE the LS7.

I would actually love a mix of both, the Alpha chassis with a LS7 is a dream come true!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #42
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
When did the LS7 stop self-destructing, or is that still a potential problem?
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote