Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #43
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
The front with all the lighting.
Attachment 561600
Looks ok but you need to do something with that huge area between the upper and lower grill openings to make it look smaller.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #44
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Incredible work!

Yeah, my vision of the front fascia definitely comes forward a little bit more while continuing to slope downward so the entirety of the upper grille and lights are lower. In addition, it pulls the center out further so it isn't quite as blunt/flat as viewed from above... not to a sharp point, but more rounded. Because it would be pulled out further, it wouldn't interfere with the hood latch or radiator support structure.
In general, it would be slightly smaller appearing and less flat than the 5thgen, whereas that looks to me like it goes the other way.

I've tried, but I can't get the headlights to look right in my mind without them following the shape of the opening. They just looked sort of tacked on when following the upper edge only. I have a couple ideas to fix that that don't necessarily copy my original mod but I'm out of time!

I don't mean to be a negative nancy or whatever, overall that is very cool and it's obvious you've put a ton of work into it! Just trying to offer constructive criticism.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #45
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I will 2nd Alltrbo....Incredible! This is cool stuff.

But I must also agree with the above comments. That front nose has got to come down some to descrease the huge "wall" of a front fascia that currently exists. I'm sure you've done this in proportion to your earlier renderings, but when I look at them side by side the grill to fog light distance looks longer in these 3D builds.

It is coming together nicely though.

One thought I had, is how would the LED lights (upper and lower) look without the head lights on? I and many others LOVE to run around with just the halos and the fog lights on and I'd love to be able to do the same with this car. I think this design looks great with the headlights on, but with them off I'm not sure about. Maybe you could show us?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #46
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Looks ok but you need to do something with that huge area between the upper and lower grill openings to make it look smaller.
See Post #18 where I describe the process behind that area. This styling is also following the general philosophy behind the Volt styling. I hadn't planned on doing the plates yet but it was a fairly quick thing to do so here's a snapshot of the front with the license plate.
Name:  2016 Camaro Front Plate.jpg
Views: 2429
Size:  39.9 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Incredible work!

Yeah, my vision of the front fascia definitely comes forward a little bit more while continuing to slope downward so the entirety of the upper grille and lights are lower. In addition, it pulls the center out further so it isn't quite as blunt/flat as viewed from above... not to a sharp point, but more rounded. Because it would be pulled out further, it wouldn't interfere with the hood latch or radiator support structure.
In general, it would be slightly smaller appearing and less flat than the 5thgen, whereas that looks to me like it goes the other way.

I've tried, but I can't get the headlights to look right in my mind without them following the shape of the opening. They just looked sort of tacked on when following the upper edge only. I have a couple ideas to fix that that don't necessarily copy my original mod but I'm out of time!

I don't mean to be a negative nancy or whatever, overall that is very cool and it's obvious you've put a ton of work into it! Just trying to offer constructive criticism.
I'm trying to visualize what you're saying but I'm having difficulty seeing it in my mind. Could you do a quick and dirty pointing-with-arrows or something on one of these images to give me an idea of what you're describing?

Here's a straight side and front view if that will help:
Name:  2016 Camaro sideF.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  42.8 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro frontF.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  43.0 KB

And although I suppose I'm making this look somewhat easy by just posting up work-in-progress snapshots this is actually taking a fair amount of effort to learn this software and make it do what you're seeing. This ain't easy. On top of that, now that I'm able to work in 3D space I can see issues with my original 2D drawings that have to be worked out and redesigned, so I'm also reworking things in addition to creating the original objects to fit the 2D views. The fact that I was able to get this to look like a car with lights sitting in a room was actually a pretty cool moment for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I will 2nd Alltrbo....Incredible! This is cool stuff.

But I must also agree with the above comments. That front nose has got to come down some to descrease the huge "wall" of a front fascia that currently exists. I'm sure you've done this in proportion to your earlier renderings, but when I look at them side by side the grill to fog light distance looks longer in these 3D builds.

It is coming together nicely though.

One thought I had, is how would the LED lights (upper and lower) look without the head lights on? I and many others LOVE to run around with just the halos and the fog lights on and I'd love to be able to do the same with this car. I think this design looks great with the headlights on, but with them off I'm not sure about. Maybe you could show us?
One with the running lights and LEDs:
Name:  2016 Camaro running and LED.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  40.1 KB

One with the LEDs only:
Name:  2016 Camaro LED only.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  39.7 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #47
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Doc, I know how hard 3D modeling is. I tried my hand at it several years ago and my program wasn't nearly as sophisticated as your seems to be.
All I was meaning was I think that area needs attention next. I think it might have come across wrong in my post.
I think that is why they enlarged the lower grille on the 14's when they narrowed up the upper grille, to keep from having that big empty space between them.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #48
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Doc, I know how hard 3D modeling is. I tried my hand at it several years ago and my program wasn't nearly as sophisticated as your seems to be.
All I was meaning was I think that area needs attention next. I think it might have come across wrong in my post.
I think that is why they enlarged the lower grille on the 14's when they narrowed up the upper grille, to keep from having that big empty space between them.
Not to worry. Constructive feedback and reworking is what helps refine things. I absolutely appreciate the contribution you guys make to this thread.

That area in the front is one of those things that appears different in 3D compared to 2D. I've got my brain working in the background on what I could do to improve that front area. Making the bottom openings huge on the refresh was not a good solution in my opinion but it may be that I might also just leave this area alone. That whole front would be the impact area in a collision so making changes there would have to be done carefully. I may also find some free 3D models I can download of something else; maybe a motorcycle or something for contrast so people can get a perspective on the actual sizes of the shapes on this car. It's not as big as a 5th gen. Plus I've been taking low angle screenshots so the lights and front detail would be easier to see.

For now I'm going to work on the back; been spending too much time on the front area and I need to clear my brain and work on something different. I also need to figure out how to pull in the side of the car at the coke bottle waist point without messing up the geometry. And then do a proper version of the wheels. And then an interior... lol. I have to say though this has been an extremely interesting project to work on and I've learned a LOT already just in what I've done so far.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #49
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Nice work there! It's not retro enough though. Don't get me wrong, I like it but I was thinking we need to get away from the 5th Gen since it's been done already. Go with something that no one has seen before and has elements which are familiar, that's the idea of a concept car. Make it reminiscent of the 2nd or 3rd Gen. Now that will catch people's eye.
Troy Lawson
Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #50
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
So hours of designs and discussions and the 3D rendering looks like a 2014 Camaro with different headlights and lower bumper.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #51
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
What are the dims on your Camaro?

Wheel Base
Front Track
Rear Track
Length
Width
Height

ATS

Wheelbase (in / mm): 109.3 / 2775
Length (in / mm): 182.8 / 4643
Height (in / mm): 55.9 / 1421
Width (in / mm): 71.1 / 1805
Track (in / mm):
Front: 59.5 / 1512
Rear: 60.9 / 1548

2014 Camaro
WHEEL BASE 9 ft. 4.3 in. (112.3 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 10.6 in. (190.6 in.)
HEIGHT 4 ft. 6.2 in. (54.2 in.)
WIDTH 6 ft. 3.5 in. (75.5 in.)
FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 3.7 in. (63.7 in.)
REAR TRACK 5 ft. 4.1 in. (64.1 in.)
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #52
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman007 View Post
Nice work there! It's not retro enough though. Don't get me wrong, I like it but I was thinking we need to get away from the 5th Gen since it's been done already. Go with something that no one has seen before and has elements which are familiar, that's the idea of a concept car. Make it reminiscent of the 2nd or 3rd Gen. Now that will catch people's eye.
Troy Lawson
This concept is intended to be more of an evolution than a revolution. It borrows styling cues from previous years including the 5th gen so it will have a familiarity to it but yet be a new style. There's quite a bit that's different on it actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
So hours of designs and discussions and the 3D rendering looks like a 2014 Camaro with different headlights and lower bumper.
Umm....no. The ONLY thing I took from the 2014 was that small center area in the bottom of the upper grill because that area was fairly well received; especially on the Z/28. Other than that that there's nothing else in this design that looks like the 2014.
Name:  2016 Camaro 3QfG.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  69.7 KB

The back of the car (which is still a work in progress) looks NOTHING like the 2014 model.
Name:  2016 Camaro 3QrG.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  75.5 KB

Neither does the side view other than that one small area in the upper grill.
Name:  2016 Camaro sideG.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  44.3 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
What are the dims on your Camaro?

Wheel Base
Front Track
Rear Track
Length
Width
Height

ATS

Wheelbase (in / mm): 109.3 / 2775
Length (in / mm): 182.8 / 4643
Height (in / mm): 55.9 / 1421
Width (in / mm): 71.1 / 1805
Track (in / mm):
Front: 59.5 / 1512
Rear: 60.9 / 1548

2014 Camaro
WHEEL BASE 9 ft. 4.3 in. (112.3 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 10.6 in. (190.6 in.)
HEIGHT 4 ft. 6.2 in. (54.2 in.)
WIDTH 6 ft. 3.5 in. (75.5 in.)
FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 3.7 in. (63.7 in.)
REAR TRACK 5 ft. 4.1 in. (64.1 in.)
Oh man I WISH I'd had those dimensions before starting... I would have made this be exact!!! Interestingly though I was surprised at how close I actually am. Here are the dimensions of my concept:

Wheel Base 116.9 in.
(ATS 109.3 in.)

Front Track 66 in.
(ATS 59.5 in.)

Rear Track 66 in.
(ATS 60.9 in.)

Length 180 in.
(ATS 182.8 in.)

Width 80 in.
(ATS 71.1 in.)

Height 52 in.
(ATS 55.9 in.)

I'll have to take a close look at what it would take to change the dimensions on my model but since they're mostly real close it shouldn't change the look much other than the width. All I would have to actually change is the track, wheel base and body width. The height and length I can keep. Thanks for posting that Pete!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #53
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

A preliminary snapshot of the V6 and V8 backs:
Name:  2016 Camaro V6 back.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  60.2 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro V8 back.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  73.7 KB

I did the V6 back first and while doing the V8 back I figured out how to do something that I can use on the V6 back. The tail lights on the V6 model will be recessed like the V8 lights are.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #54
FreshPrince

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Send a message via ICQ to FreshPrince Send a message via Skype™ to FreshPrince
Sorry, but guys, are you all blind? Awesome? It`s ugly AF! Looks like some cheap honda or something.
FreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #55
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
I think from the side it looks like an 04 monte carlo.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #56
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
I think from the side it looks like an 04 monte carlo.
Sorry but it's nowhere close to ANY Monte Carlo.
Attached Images