Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Chevy Customer Service Reps - are you here? are you listening?

I am not enjoying my first interaction with you so far today. My 2016 Chevy Camaro has the known rear end groan. Im planning on leaving it overnight soon to get it diagnosed and fluid changed (since the dealer has to hear it and it can only be heard in the mornings - you would think that if they know this is an issue they would just change the fluid but that is another story). I would do it myself, but Ive already seen where folks have had to go on to have the diff replaced because a fluid change dont fix it - the last thing I want to do is give you a reason to void my warranty on it or make it take longer to get fixed by not having a documented fluid change at the dealer. I asked the dealer about changing the rear axle bolts referenced in TSB 16-NA-399 and was told that they could only change them if there was an issue with them or they work on the rear end and have to remove them as part of the work. '

I am tired of crawling under a $55,000 car on a regular basis and checking them. I'm tired of worrying that the axles will come out from under it if I don't. I have more faith that my 8 year old Nissan Titan with 173000 miles wont break down and leave me stranded at this point (unless I check the bolts regularly).

Here's a novel idea - recall them and fix them. Or, at least replace them when someone asks you to.

Then, to top it off, the customer service rep I spoke with wanted to know how I came across the information in the TSB because its supposed to be dealer only info.

My case # is 8-3595400773
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
For the rear groan, last year they replaced my rear carrier. Now, 12 months later it's in the 50s in the morning it's coming back. My service representative told me to schedule it in and they will probably end up replacing it again. The replacement solved the issue even when it was cold out, but it was a temporary solution :(

Good luck!

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Did they attempt the fluid change more than once to eliminate the noise? Did they use the correct fluid? The bolt TSB is only relevant for axle removal or replacement so they are correct in saying that. They aren't just going to replace them because you say so or want them to. If you want the new bolts/washers/retainers, break out your wallet, or rip a nasty burnout and hope a half shaft comes loose.

Quote:
#17-NA-287: Rear Axle Moan Type Noise On Turns - (Sep 11, 2017)

Some customers may comment that when the vehicle is cold or has sat for several hours, a noise can be heard from the rear of the vehicle when making one or two turns.

They may also comment that the noise goes away after the vehicle has warmed up.

This condition may be caused by slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates.

If the moan noise is validated, perform the following procedure.

Validate concern by driving vehicle to operating temperature.

 2. Replace the rear differential axle lubricant.

 3. Bring gear lube again up to operating temperature.

 4. Perform multiple figure eight or lock steer turning maneuvers to work gear lube into clutch pack.

 5. Allow vehicle to cool (back to ambient) and reevaluate for clutch moan.

◦If the moan is still present, repeat steps 1-5.

◦The above sequence may need to be repeated two to three times to reduce/eliminate the noise.

Correct lubricant is critical for proper operation. Refer to Specifications in SI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
They are going to diagnose the groan when I take it in - I wanted to get everything done at once but they won’t replace the bolts until they fail.

I shouldn’t have to come out of pocket for new bolts. Chevy doesn’t view it as a safety issue so it gets a tsb instead of a recall. What happens when they come apart at speed? Anyone had that occur yet? Had something similar happen on a sxs once and it locked the wheel up (was a cv joint failure though).

I’m sure Chevy thought the ignition switches wasn’t an issue either - until it was.

Now they are saying it doesn’t affect my vehicle - anyone know if the 2016 verts have the new bolts? Do we pull them out and measure them to confirm that the correct bolts are installed?
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Chemist

Drives: HyperBlue 2SS 6M NPP MRC Nav
I've had my car looked at twice. Each time they were unable to validate. I'm very frustrated.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
I have the same issue taking it back for the 2nd time this week. They have a huge problem and they will not address it for some reason.
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
jeportera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS A8
Which fluid are they using when performing the fix for this issue?
jeportera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #8
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Unfortunately this isn't going to be fixed, the Corvette's have the same thing as well. Is it right, no, but keep bringing it to the dealer and getting frustrated it a waste of time. Mine is doing it again with the cooler weather, goes away after the first 3 or 4 left hand turns.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
What causes the groan?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
What causes the groan?
I had my fluids replaced last winter and it helped a little but never completely went away on cold mornings. I took it in again a few weeks ago and they told me that the cold temperatures thicken the fluids in the diff after it sits for a while. Once the car runs for a couple minutes and makes a few turns it brings the fluid back up to temp and the noise goes away.

They did a full inspection and reported that everything was working as designed at that even though I was hearing the noise in the morning, they assured me that there was no evidence of any wear on the clutch plates or anything else.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
All the LSD units I have had had a growl when cold, this one is no different. I told my service advisor hoping to get a free flush last oil change, but they told me they had to keep it overnight and confirm the noise before they could do it. I didn't want to leave the car overnight.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote