Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 03-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
Jshadow
31B MP

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jshadow Send a message via Yahoo to Jshadow
Need Advice Stingray or Camaro

Hey all,

Been on and off the forums for a while now and I currently have my sights set on a 2016 2SS or 2017 1LE if the price is right. I won't be purchasing till September of this year (military deployment) and I'm trying to stay right at the 45k or below range.

Anyways here's the situation. I just realized you can get a base model 14' stingray for 45k or below! Stingray has been my "realistic" dream car ever since it's been revealed but I never really thought I'd be able to afford one till now. The biggest thing I'm worried about with a stingray is "practicality" because this will be my daily driver. I've never had a car without a back seat. All my friends tell me to get the stingray and tell me the back seat isn't necessary. The number one thing I hear from everyone is that this is possibly my best time to get a 2 seat car for a while. Why? I'm 28 single with pretty much not attachments and doing pretty good for myself (I'd say). My biggest worry is that a Stingray isn't a smart long term decision. But with the two being pretty much in the same price range is it better to get the stingray while I'm still young? Thanks a bunch!

TLDR

-14 Base Stingray or 16 2SS/17 1LE Camaro
-Daily Driver
-45k "budget"
-28 and single. No kids or any attachments...yet
-Never tracked a car before but wouldn't mind doing it once every few months
-Worried about losing the back seat if I ever need to bring another passenger
Old 03-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
I've been a new Corvette buyer for the last 2 decades and chose the 2016 Camaro over the C7.
Does that answer your question?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Screw the back seat , you have a Camaro now , pretty much no back seat . Get your dream car and dont worry about the future or not having a back seat you can always sell it if need be .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
The problem is that the prices that used Corvette owners are demanding for their cars are INSANE.
F them.
I bought a NEW Camaro SS for LESS and got a better street car in my opinion, especially for daily driving.
Glad to hear you got a new 6th gen , just got to look at one in person this week and I really like them .
His dream car that he always wanted is a Corvette not the Camaro , And he said he can get his dream car for under $45K , brand new , If he has to sell it and used Corvettes are going for INSANE prices that would be a good thing for the OP
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Screw the back seat , you have a Camaro now , pretty much no back seat . Get your dream car and dont worry about the future or not having a back seat you can always sell it if need be .
Agree. No space on the rear, seat is simbolical on the 6th. gen Camaro. Just get the better car
Very easy to decide park them side to side.
Enjoy it while single and no babies.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Asking this on a Camaro forum? Not sure if you're really expecting a completely unbiased answer here.

The C7 Stingray is an awesome car that redefined the Corvette in the same way that the 5th gen Camaro redefined the Camaro. To me, the 6th gen Camaro is just an evolutionary car. Yes, I understand it has a brand new platform, better handling, etc. but the bottom line is GM clearly kept it looking close to the outgoing model in terms of design and body lines in a lot of respects. The C7 is a bolder looking car and likely performs better overall because it's significantly lighter.

I think another question is: Would you rather like to lose your back seat, trunk, or both? The C7 has no back seat, but as a consequence, it has a pretty massive hatchback trunk that is actually really practical for making it a daily driver. The Camaro has a "back seat" that's essentially unusable for any normal sized adult and lost a ton of trunk space compared to the 5th gen.

To me the C7 is honestly a no-brainer if I could find one for sub 50k. Way nicer car. Not saying the 6th gen Camaro isn't too, but if you're cross-shopping both, it's the Corvette. No contest. Drive in a cool, exotic looking car, get 30 MPG on the highway, and enjoy.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I'm in this same situation (car just built, though :|, 3800 status) but all my friends are like why the camaro? Get a used vette! (Found several used 2015s for 48k and above but would have to travel, or work out something)

They also cite the SAME REASONS that your friends say about children, age, etc... only I am about 3 years older than you. It's the worst. Non car "people" know what the vette is and with the Camaro it's just seen as a trash tier thing to have and it is super annoying. In the motortrend video review like one of the hosts said the worst thing about the Camaro is the badge and brand or whatever.

I'm all for getting what I want and ignoring other people but Jesus, there really is a stigma when you compare these two cars with normal people.

Don't know what to tell you other than this really struck a chord with me... good luck! Post what you decide on!
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:44 AM   #8
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
The biggest issue the OP has is the loss of "utility" going from 4 seats to 2. If I was in his situation, I'd get the Vette...awesome age to be able to afford one with no outside attachments to hold you down.

If you ever really need to transport people or more stuff than can fit in the Vette...rent a car or call a taxi/uber.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
AC48

Drives: '16 2SS
Keep in mind you can get a fully loaded 2SS for about the same price as a base C7, if you find a great deal. How important to you are all the upgrades? Obviously a C7 is better equipped than a base Camaro, but are you getting Magride, NPP, HUD, Bose etc. in a 50k Vette? I thought briefly about a used C7 as my dealer had a '14 for under 45k, but decided to stick with my 2SS order.

As for the back seats, in my mind I think of the Camaro as a 2 seater. Fold the seats down and there's a bit more storage. Only small children can actually fit back there.
AC48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:02 AM   #10
twr0912

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2ss
I was in the same boat myself. Always thought I wanted a corvette...that it would be the ultimate car for me. My best friend has a c6 and I do like the car. I like how responsive it is and they fact that you can get the back end to break lose very easily...things I wanted out of my non modded 5th that just weren't there. When I was waiting on my 6th to come in I looked around a bit at c7's and found several that I could have bought for the same price. The question you need to answer is what do you want not us. You will be driving it around everyday and if it's your dream car go get it! I'm in my dream car now. I realized I could have had a vette and don't want it. Mine is a DD and I love it. I'm only comparing it to my friends c6 as I never drove a c7 but I'm perfectly happy. Do what you want to do! You're making those payments not your friends!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 AM   #11
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
You can get a 2014 Z51 with MRC and performance upgraded exhaust in the high 40's now, so forget about whoever is trying to sell you a base C7. Look at the cars for sale by members on the corvette forum and you will see them pop up and get sold.

Also, I would stay away from a 2014 C7 if I could and go with a 2015. I was in the same boat but was looking at 2015 2LT Z51's with the options I listed above. Those that are selling quick are in the mid to low 50's.

This is a personal decision that you have to make. I went with the Camaro because it was a better value for my purposes. I don't want a car loan and also want to keep a certain amount of cash on hand. Buying a more expensive car was over my budget. You might want to take a step back and look at the big picture because in a few years either car will have depreciated greatly and the bloom falls off the rose as they say....
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I owned a 2014 Corvette for two years and loved it. An early build, A mylink display screen went out and was immediately replaced. A simple part failure , other than that, No problems in 17,000 miles.

I also like the Camaro and had a 13 SS. I switch cars a lot and would buy a Corvette again. My back problems like the Camaro more. It depends on what you want. I don't see the Corvette or the Camaro being any more or less reliable than the other car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #13
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
Quote:
The problem is that the prices that used Corvette owners are demanding for their cars are INSANE.
F them.
I bought a NEW Camaro SS for LESS and got a better street car in my opinion, especially for daily driving.
Some maybe, not all. That goes for C6 and C7. Believe me, I've been looking daily since September of last year...and there are some really good deals. Just have to be patient and not let your emotions and passion cause you to make an impulse purchase.

'22 Camaro ZL1 | A10 | Carbon Everything
'22 Kia Stinger GT2 RWD - Bone stock
'19 Kia Sorento - Wifemobile

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
'12 Infiniti G37xS Sedan - Takeda CAI, FI RHFC + FI resonated cat-back, Hotchkis F+R Sways, SSR GTV03 (18x9.5 +45 squared), Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, Tanabe Lowering Springs, Full Akebono BBK upgrade F+R, StopTech Rotors/Pads/SS Brake Lines, Takeda FTSB, (300AWHP / 251TQ)
IntricateDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:47 AM   #14
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I went with the 2SS over a c7z51. A couple reasons, camaro is much more comfortable for DD and long road trips for me (6'2 260+ lbs) and much easier to CC (conceal carry in the 2SS).

While you can DD a c7 with no issues, it is a bit more convenient to DD a 2SS. I would've gotten a c7 if I could fit in it comfortably lol. I figured the camaro would be much more comfortable guessing it (c6/c7 vs gen5s) and ordered it. I couldn't be happier with my 2SS.

Both will make you really happy and both are legit cars. Tadge and AO made amazing vehicles. As for reliability gig... Get a certified used one and extended warranty to really give you a peace of mind. Something went wrong? Free repair AND chevy gives you a car to drive till your baby is fixed. Coming from imports... GM's warranty is amazing.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote