Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Well, stone chips aside, do film's like these allow for even paint fade/deterioration over the years?

Always wondered about these and vinyl stripes...so far no one's given me a straight answer...

But still if one isn't concerned about minor stuff like that, these do seem the logical thing to do.

Change them every 3-4 years or so when one notices yellowing...
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I believe the good quality ones do. I just removed some red hood spears I've had for a year and saw no change in paint. It all looked even, no fade. I did notice that the lettering I had on the hood spear was visible after taking it off but I polished it out real quick and it was gone. The vinyl was on for a year. My car is a daily driver and doesn't sit in a garage.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post
Well, stone chips aside, do film's like these allow for even paint fade/deterioration over the years?

Always wondered about these and vinyl stripes...so far no one's given me a straight answer...

But still if one isn't concerned about minor stuff like that, these do seem the logical thing to do.

Change them every 3-4 years or so when one notices yellowing...
newer clear vinyl does not yellow, lifetime guarantee.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
newer clear vinyl does not yellow, lifetime guarantee.

This is so right according to where I'm getting mine!!
They say this stuff has come so far in quality that you hardly know it's even there unless you get right up on it.
Ziebart says everything is uniformed and match to the car, everything is cut using computer imaging and for example There is not 5 or 6 pieces to do a Hood like some have claimed but rather just 2 that uniform perfectly to the front fascia...

Yep just convinced myself , I'm definitely getting it!!

Also I have recently learned of diamond protection for the paint. They say you never have to Wax your car again if you get this, this is also something I have to do more research on.
So if anyone knows about this stuff and whether it's worth it or not please post!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
FurySS
Furious Shine

Drives: None
I have the Ziebart bra on my front bumper only. I am very happy with it and it was less than $400. They even custom cut it to go around my stripes. You don't notice it unless you get right up on it, after a year I have no yellowing (and its guaranteed).

I would NEVER pay for their paint protection or whatever they call it. I know they offer a paint sealant that you need to get re-applied every year. If you don't mind doing it yourself, spend the money with Adams and get all you need! Then you will be able to do full paint correction and get a beautiful finish! Even if you don't like all the detailing, you could just get the Adams paint sealant for a lot less money and do it by hand once a year!
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #20
forcefedjunkie

Drives: '14 ZL1, Duramax H2
Sorry to dig up and old thread, but it sounds like you all ended up happy with the results. I have the Ziebart film as well, but after two attempts it is full of bubbles - more that you can count- that are not evaporating as they said, and sections of the film that extend by about 1/8" beyond the body sections that they cover. I have been told that this is expected and that others are totally satisfied with similar results, basically that I'm too picky. I could never take the car to a car show or cruise in looking like this, I would be embarrassed.

Do you guys have these issues and just accept it or is your finished product free of these imperfections? I've never seen bubbles like this on other cars with this film, although most use 3M Venture Shield.

Todd
forcefedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedjunkie View Post
Sorry to dig up and old thread, but it sounds like you all ended up happy with the results. I have the Ziebart film as well, but after two attempts it is full of bubbles - more that you can count- that are not evaporating as they said, and sections of the film that extend by about 1/8" beyond the body sections that they cover. I have been told that this is expected and that others are totally satisfied with similar results, basically that I'm too picky. I could never take the car to a car show or cruise in looking like this, I would be embarrassed.

Do you guys have these issues and just accept it or is your finished product free of these imperfections? I've never seen bubbles like this on other cars with this film, although most use 3M Venture Shield.

Todd
Hey man this is my second car that I had done here at Ziebart in Syracuse N. Y. .... They used xpel ultimate film on both my cars and they both came out pretty dam close to perfect. there are zero bubbles and imperfections, zero! Also all pieces line up I would say almost as perfect as can be. There is no overlay or sloppy ness to the workmanship at all.
I would say that if any of the few bubbles you should of only had didn't come out yet with just the normal heat of being parked in the sun and if you don't have your pieces pretty much flush with your body parts that they covered ,..then you got a shit installer or they used a cheap product, from the sounds it looks like both. I would demand they fix all mistakes or take legal action. This stuff isn't cheap and you don't need your beautiful camaro hiding in the corner at any car show..
With my car being CRT when I bring and show it off anywhere, I have to tell people it's on there or they never even know. That's with people really checking the car out too...... then there like that's awesome!!

Good luck bro!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #22
Xii239

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Black Camaro
Damn you guys got great deals. I got XPEL protection clear bra put on everything upto the doors (so upper and lower bumper, full hood, front fenders), the mirriors, rockers, gills, and the space beind the rear tires for $1900, that was AFTER a 30% discount. How was everyone elses so cheap?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #23
forcefedjunkie

Drives: '14 ZL1, Duramax H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTZL1 View Post
Hey man this is my second car that I had done here at Ziebart in Syracuse N. Y. .... They used xpel ultimate film on both my cars and they both came out pretty dam close to perfect. there are zero bubbles and imperfections, zero! Also all pieces line up I would say almost as perfect as can be. There is no overlay or sloppy ness to the workmanship at all.
I would say that if any of the few bubbles you should of only had didn't come out yet with just the normal heat of being parked in the sun and if you don't have your pieces pretty much flush with your body parts that they covered ,..then you got a shit installer or they used a cheap product, from the sounds it looks like both. I would demand they fix all mistakes or take legal action. This stuff isn't cheap and you don't need your beautiful camaro hiding in the corner at any car show..
With my car being CRT when I bring and show it off anywhere, I have to tell people it's on there or they never even know. That's with people really checking the car out too...... then there like that's awesome!!

Good luck bro!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info., I'll ask what material they used. From 10' away you can tell the film is there on my car. It's definitely not acceptable.
forcefedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 AM   #24
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
XPEL is definitely more, mine goes Tuesday for full hood, bumper, Ground effects, heritage grill (yes its extra), gills and mirrors. I skipped the fenders for 3 reasons, 1. I wont have an edge on the fender where it stops and 2. The front of the car is essentially square so most will be on the bumper anyways (car is 4 and they have made it this far ok), 3. save some money. It is still $1300. Headlights, turn signals, fog lights, door handle cups, gauges, 4 pack gauges, and radio are all done in ghost armor already. I had my nose replaced and painted so I am doing it now as the aftermarket paint is softer and its no screwed up yet, the gill area is getting touched up before installation as well in that price. Forewarned that touch up will likely peel off with the product if ever removed, and I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't look weird while it is on.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #25
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
Worth it.
3M Paint Protection

2011 1SS/RS (BLACK on BLACK) <SOLD>
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LeSS View Post
Wandered the paint protection booths at Sema this year. The booth with all the attention was a product made by Suntek.
I grabbed the canadian reps number if your interested. They also said their product was number one, but then they demonstrated by taking a wire brush to the hood of a black bentley that they'd just covered. Messed it up real good. Then applied heat to the scratches and it self healed. You couldnt even tell where it was on the car. They said that just the heat from the engine can do the repairs. I wouldnt believe it II f i hadnt seen it..
Needless to say, its my first roadtrip when our snow is gone....to go to the installer and have it applied.
Good stuff.
I had Suntek applied to my '12 Acadia by a guy in Peoria, AZ, so it can be purchased anywhere I would imagine. Depends on which brands the applicator wants to carry. The place in Omaha that did my SS didn't carry Suntek, but backed his stuff up with a 7-Year warranty so I went with it.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #27
Nascar Bill

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS
I'm having Xpel installed tomorrow. Pretty cool thing is the guy will come to your house as long as you have a garage. I'm getting the whole bumper, hood, mirrors and fenders done for $750. It has a 10 year guarantee.
Nascar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #28
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I've seen a Camaro with the clear treatment like this. I didn't care for it a bit. You could see lines where the plastic stops and the plastic scratches easier then paint. All the plastic on this guys car was scratched so bad it looked like crap. None of his paint was scratched at all. Just my observation.
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote