Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #113
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I sort of wish Chevrolet would have done this...if none other than to keep people from griping about the MSRP entry cost of an SS.

If the cost (minus destination) of an entry level SS could've been something around 34,xxx instead of 36,300 I think it would have put a little different perspective on things. In the end it wouldn't make a ton of difference since the cars we'd have on the lots would be the same 40K+ Camaros.

I think the 1SS should have came as a non-RS model (still 20" wheels just like the 5th gen), but also without the driver's information center, and without the additional coolers. I think the brembo brakes should remain standard. Would just that be enough to pull it under 35 grand? Not sure. If not, maybe go with 19" wheels on 255 rubber all around as the base SS wheel/tire package. Aside from that, I'm not sure what else they could do to lower the base SS cost.

In the end, I'd have still paid nearly the same for my SS b/c I'd have wanted the RS and the 20" wheels. So maybe I'd have saved a few hundred on the coolers?

That said, I'm sure Chevy packaged the 1SS as they did b/c they saw that the vast majority of SS buyers were selecting the RS trims and that the driver's information center would be wanted. In my case I was ecstatic that the 1SS came with it, as it was something I REALLY wanted and I was not about to pay 2SS prices.

In my mind, comparing the Mustang and Camaro directly is not straightforward in every case...mostly in terms of the GT vs SS.

In my mind. (in terms of performance )

Mustang Camaro
V6 2.0
Ecoboost V6
GT SS
GTPP SS or SS with 1LE (SS still beats GT even without 1LE)
GT350 SS1LE
GT350R Z/28 (or perhaps even the ZL1. I think ZL1 will be faster on the track, but will it be able to do laps without overheating?)
GT500 ZL1
Based on performance, this is definitely how I would say the current lineups stack up.
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #114
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
Your paraphrasing is 100% incorrect.

You may want to re read this thread, as there are Camaro owners that agree with the lineup I posted.

Ford isn't marketing he GTPP against the 1le. They are marketing it as an up level street car, the same way the SS was in the past. Nearly %30 of mustangs sold have the performance pack. This is a street package.

I've said it befor, the sheer volume of GTPP sold backs what I have been saying.
Ford marketed the performance package as going above and beyond the Boss 302. The Boss 302 media release refered to it as "race car with a license plate."
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...d-racing-.html
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote