Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #85
Moc96
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugDoc View Post
I think this right here will be huge for you. There isn't much travel on the gas and brake pedals so you can leave your heel on the floor, but the second I start to push in the clutch pedal my whole foot is off the floor until I've completely released the pedal again. Even if I'm sitting at a light waiting for it to turn green, the whole foot is off the floor even if only the ball of the foot is in contact with the pedal.
Throw it in neutral at lights, unless you're first, you got a few seconds to react and put it in gear. I usually pay attention and know when my light is getting ready to turn green. That way you can relax, one foot on the brake, the other just chillin'. SOOO much more relaxed.
Moc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #86
DrugDoc

Drives: '16 Nightfall Grey 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc96 View Post
Throw it in neutral at lights, unless you're first, you got a few seconds to react and put it in gear. I usually pay attention and know when my light is getting ready to turn green. That way you can relax, one foot on the brake, the other just chillin'. SOOO much more relaxed.
Thats what I was going for but tried to keep it on the subject of shifting lol. Even if I am first, I don't play with my phone or anything while in the driver seat so I just wait for the other light to turn yellow then I pop it back in first and still have plenty of time to spare
DrugDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #87
MattDinOC

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugDoc View Post
I think this right here will be huge for you. There isn't much travel on the gas and brake pedals so you can leave your heel on the floor, but the second I start to push in the clutch pedal my whole foot is off the floor until I've completely released the pedal again. Even if I'm sitting at a light waiting for it to turn green, the whole foot is off the floor even if only the ball of the foot is in contact with the pedal.
This. When you're using the clutch, do it with the ball of your foot, heel not touching the floor. That way, there's no need for the sole of your shoe to slide along the surface of the clutch pedal.

Also a great suggestion about skipping 2nd gear in relaxed driving scenarios. That 1-2 shift can be hard to do smoothly. When you're shifting out of 1st (to 2nd or 3rd), take your time. You can let the clutch engage gradually going into the next gear to keep things smooth. My shifting tactics change depending on whether I have non-enthusiast passenger in the car (don't want to see their head bobbing forward and back as I shift!), or if I'm not in the mood to hurry, or if I am in the mood to have some fun. When you're out for a fun drive, then you speed things up, bang it from 1st to 2nd and smile if you leave some rubber behind. Most passengers will not appreciate that though.

Best of luck!
3000 - 08/18/16 | TPW 09/05 - 08/23/16
3100 - 08/30/16 | TPW 09/12 - 08/30/16
3400 - 09/06/16 | TPW 09/05 - 09/06/16
3800 - 09/15/16 | 4200 - 09/20/16
6000 - 09/29/16 - on Camaro's 50th Birthday!
MattDinOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #88
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I go 1-3 most of the time when just cruising.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #89
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63falcondude View Post
Not sure why someone would take offense to that. No I did not. I can drive it fine but it is stressful.
Personal preferences about what kind of car is best aside, manual cars are not for everyone. If it's not your bag and you want to be done with it trade it in or try to sell it private party and get something that makes you happy to drive it.

My ss is my only car right now and my commute plus extra driving is 500+ miles per week. There are some times an automatic would be nice .. like when the highway becomes a 5mph parking lot, but otherwise I wouldn't trade the control for convenience.

For those wondering/speculating the manual is faster on the highway than the auto. Lets say hypothetically a head to head happened with a manual and auto from 80-160. By the time you reach 160 the ass of the auto would just be creeping into your rear view. It's not a difference to write home about, but a win is a win
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #90
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDinOC View Post
This. When you're using the clutch, do it with the ball of your foot, heel not touching the floor. That way, there's no need for the sole of your shoe to slide along the surface of the clutch pedal.

Also a great suggestion about skipping 2nd gear in relaxed driving scenarios. That 1-2 shift can be hard to do smoothly. When you're shifting out of 1st (to 2nd or 3rd), take your time. You can let the clutch engage gradually going into the next gear to keep things smooth. My shifting tactics change depending on whether I have non-enthusiast passenger in the car (don't want to see their head bobbing forward and back as I shift!), or if I'm not in the mood to hurry, or if I am in the mood to have some fun. When you're out for a fun drive, then you speed things up, bang it from 1st to 2nd and smile if you leave some rubber behind. Most passengers will not appreciate that though.

Best of luck!
I'll have to try it again. The reason why I keep my heel on the ground (when starting off from a standstill) is for a constant point of contact. This helps give me more of a fine control over the clutch engagement. For me, using my whole leg is comparable to trying to modulate a motorcycle clutch using my whole arm (without having my palm against the hand grip).

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #91
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I go 1-3 most of the time when just cruising.
yes..all day,

skip gears. 1-3-5-6
I drive it like this 90% of the time. my tires are like new at 17.500 miles.

just be gentle with the throttle

enjoy the 25 mixed mpg
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #92
2008 corvette

Drives: 2008 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
yes..all day,

skip gears. 1-3-5-6
I drive it like this 90% of the time. my tires are like new at 17.500 miles.

just be gentle with the throttle

enjoy the 25 mixed mpg
wow congrats on the tires and gas mileage, you know its a camaro dont you?
2008 corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #93
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
I'll have to try it again. The reason why I keep my heel on the ground (when starting off from a standstill) is for a constant point of contact. This helps give me more of a fine control over the clutch engagement. For me, using my whole leg is comparable to trying to modulate a motorcycle clutch using my whole arm (without having my palm against the hand grip).
I dunno - I have 25 years of pretty much daily driving manual cars and tons of racing seat time - both road race, autox and drag racing launches, and I just can't even wrap my head around doing it that way. I can get a very consistent point of engagement using my entire leg and the ball of my foot as the contact point.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #94
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I totally get it, it can be stressful driving m6. I'd keep driving till lose less 10k..I didn't buy a zl1 because it was manual and I had like 13 stop lights each way. I've had 4 different manual cars prior zl1 test drive including sports cars. It just gets to be a nuisance in my opinion..
Old 09-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #95
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 corvette View Post
wow congrats on the tires and gas mileage, you know its a camaro dont you?
yes i will be reminded at the race track on friday nights. which will be happening now that its cooled down. if only it would not rain.

on the DD i like to take it eaz
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #96
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc96 View Post
That's exactly what I do!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #97
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Quote:
I'll give it a try for sure. 1st to 2nd is the hardest to make smooth.
My former toy was an '06 GTO and my 1-2 shift always seemed rough in that (for ten years). It varies in the Camaro but that sequence is definitely the one that's least smooth though it's usually still pretty smooth. Might be driver error though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
Id just get rid of it if you arent happy. 6000 miles is plenty to know if you like the car. Id get rid of my 1le if i had to daily drive it. Its fun but the visibility and other things would drive me crazy. Plus i wear big ole steel toes boots to work and its a pain to drive
Agreed. I got the M6 because it's my toy. If I had to daily drive it I wouldn't do it. Too many lights, stop signs, and traffic around here.

Manuals aren't for everyone.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #98
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
I've only read the first 20 posts and I have to say many of you are being too harsh on the OP. I used to have a commute that was 12 minutes on weekends and an hour+ during weekdays. My Camaro 1LE was my daily driver. And I hated having to drive it in these conditions. Way too much stop and go. Constant Clutch in and out. Couldn't just chill and drive. It had nothing to do with the Camaro but rather having a manual transmission for such an interrupt driven commute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote