Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I've been driving manual cars for so long I honestly get a little bit stressed out when I drive an AT, because I don't feel I have quite the same level of control over the car. But I started driving stick at 15 and have daily driven a manual car pretty much my entire adult life, plus spent a huge amount of time competitive driving manual cars - autox, HPDE and eventually road racing. It's completely second nature to me.

In fact, I picked up my daughter from her college for a trip home for the weekend and we were half way home (3 hour drive) before she even noticed the car was a manual. HA!

So maybe it's too late for you - don't know. I do know I tried very hard to teach my older daughter how to drive a stick in a Mini Cooper S and she just couldn't get the hang of it and she completely freaked out once she was out driving on the road with cars behind her and so forth so we both agreed to put that idea on a shelf for now. I didn't try with the younger one who is now 19 because I sold the Mini and didn't want to teach her on a 400hp V8 M5.

So I dunno what to tell you! It's a completely personal decision - everybody is different there and some people pick it up naturally and never look back, but not everybody does. My wife can drive a stick - she used to drive her HS boyfriend's mustang in college and her first car was also a manual - the cheapest new car she could find. And even through she doesn't drive one much, when she does drive one she fall back into it pretty naturally so she has always been able to drive my manual cars when necessary, which is nice. Not that she does very often - and she never tried any of my vette's. But I think she could drive this SS no problem and she probably will at some point.

But seriously - if you've driven it 7 months and still totally stresses you out - probably time to move on. Maybe you can find a left over 2016 for enough of a deal to make the swap somewhat palatable.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
John Galtman
Banned

Drives: s coupe
7 months and u still can't drive the manual with pleasure? It stresses u out?
Damn, bro. It's not about the manual. U took a wrong car... Go and buy the prius...
John Galtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Are you driving in stop and go traffic?? I wish my left knee and back could handle driving a manual. I drove them for years. On the other hand the A8 is incredible too.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #18
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
It is off by default. Do you hit the paddle every time you turn on the car? If so, it sounds like a stick just isn't for you.
Yes I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
You mean trading it for an auto CamaroSS? I was really expecting the 1LE or ZL1 convo when I first clicked
Either an auto Camaro 2SS or another car completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
But seriously - if you've driven it 7 months and still totally stresses you out - probably time to move on. Maybe you can find a left over 2016 for enough of a deal to make the swap somewhat palatable.
I wouldn't buy new again. I would be looking at something slightly used.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #19
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Sorry to hear about your issue. Really bizarre problem IMHO. But, it would be annoying not being able to enjoy such a great car.

Realistically driving a stick becomes 2nd nature. Something you shouldn't even have to think about or even concentrate on. If this is your first manual give it some time. If you can't get comfortable in a year or so then look for other used camaro's with auto that you could trade for at a dealership.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
63falcondude

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galtman View Post
7 months and u still can't drive the manual with pleasure? It stresses u out?
Damn, bro. It's not about the manual. U took a wrong car... Go and buy the prius...
I'm going to try and not let this piss me off. Your first three sentences are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet435 View Post
Are you driving in stop and go traffic?? I wish my left knee and back could handle driving a manual. I drove them for years. On the other hand the A8 is incredible too.
Some stop and go traffic. Mostly back roads. My commute is about 88 miles/day.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
Old 09-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #21
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
You mean trading it for an auto CamaroSS? I was really expecting the 1LE or ZL1 convo when I first clicked
That's what I thought too.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #22
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Have you driven the A8 Camaro SS then to see what you think? I am in LOVE with mine
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #23
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
is it the initial throttle deadzone that makes taking off from a stop stressful?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #24
63falcondude

Quote:
Have you driven the A8 Camaro SS then to see what you think? I am in LOVE with mine
I have not. I didn't even test drive the manual before I bought it. I just figured that I would get used to it (which I have to an extent but still stressful). It's not that I can't drive the car, it's that driving the car is stressful and therefore not enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
is it the initial throttle deadzone that makes taking off from a stop stressful?
I think that may contribute to it.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
Old 09-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #25
G6CamJK

Drives: 16 2SS Convertible, 08 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I've been driving manual cars for so long I honestly get a little bit stressed out when I drive an AT, because I don't feel I have quite the same level of control over the car.

When I get in an auto transmission vehicle my left foot still instinctively searches for something to do and inevitably ends up clipping the brake pedal at the wrong time.

I have to agree with the second part. After 7 months of honest trying if it's not for you it's not for you. I trade back and forth between the Camaro 6m ( currently 1600 miles ) and a lifted Jeep Wrangler 6m with 80k+ miles. Clutch bite, torque responce, position of reverse, everything is completely different between the two. It catches me out sometimes if I haven't driven one or the other for week to 10 days.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #26
67Camaroto17

Drives: Focus ST
How much do u want for it? I might be interested.

There's a reason sticks are hard to find. Most people go with the auto. Times have changed along with the rate of manual takes. No biggie
67Camaroto17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #27
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63falcondude View Post
I just can't relax in it. Always having to think about keeping it smooth. I can only wear one pair of sneakers when I drive it.
I'll put it to you this way: If you still have to think while shifting, you haven't adjusted yet. It's sort of like when you think about breathing and suddenly it becomes a deliberate and burdensome act. It might be hard to remember, but I'm sure when you first learned to drive, every little action required a lot of concentration for things you probably do very naturally now like merging onto busy highway onramps, keeping an eye on road signs and lane markers, and the dozens of other things you probably don't even realize are involved during driving because you're used to them.

I will say this though: Of all activities related to driving, manual shifting is the most deceptively easy looking. There's also a ton of peer pressure in automotive forums like this to go for a manual which really skews people expectations once they try it, which is why it's better to rent a manual car and daily drive it to see if it's for you. Manual transmissions, much like getting out to crank your own engine like in the old days, connects you to your car more but isn't necessarily better when viewed from a convenience standpoint. But just remember: Once upon a time, there were no automatics. People of all types, including mothers making a daily grocery run, had to learn stick.

Other than adjusting to it, there's nothing to do but take a $10k loss. Deep down, you know this fact and are looking for consolation I think. The only real 3rd option is a transmission swap which will be a lot more expensive if not impossible.

Personally, I would drive your other cars doing the week but take the Camaro out for a non-stop drive during a quiet period of the weekend. A 2+ hour drive with a mix of highway and city driving. Do this every weekend you can until the anxiety goes away such that it can be a daily driver again. It could and probably will take months.

Last edited by RenegadeXR; 09-28-2016 at 02:18 PM.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #28
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63falcondude View Post
I have not. I didn't even test drive the manual before I bought it. I just figured that I would get used to it (which I have to an extent but still stressful). It's not that I can't drive the car, it's that driving the car is stressful and therefore not enjoyable.

I think that may contribute to it.
I can kind of relate, I went from having a 5th Gen manual to my current 6th Gen auto.

While there were certainly times that I enjoyed the manual, I always felt like I had to make the ride 'smooth' if I had a passenger (usually my wife), which did subtract from the fun somewhat.

I love the auto in this car and have no regrets. If I get the itch for some manual driving, using the shifter in manual mode works fine.

Life is too short IMHO to keep if it you don't love it. Trade it in/sell it for an auto.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote