#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
There has been talk of it in the Camaro. I'd be in favor of it as an option but the community reaction has been "negative" to say the least.

My Camaro and I are get shot into space in a freezer, bring on the end.

I think it will take old motorheads like me to buy these types of vehicles to help change to opinions of other motorheads. In order for Ford to be a success with this motor it's going to have to have V-8 reliability. If it doesn't than they can kiss this concept good by.

I have to take mine back to the dealer already though. I just noticed that they never but an inspection sticker on it. I hope that's the worst problem I have.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
The ecoboost won't take e85. At least in 2011, that may change for later model years. Maybe that will change down the road. It felt a little faster than the 5.0 when I drove them a couple months ago.

I don't drive enough to justify the ecoboost though, the extra cost doesn't make up for the gas savings for my amount of mileage. both the 5.0 and eco do get significantly better mileage than my 2010 5.4 f150 though. (At least 3 mpgs)

Cool truck though, post up the pics!
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
The ecoboost won't take e85. At least in 2011, that may change for later model years. Maybe that will change down the road. It felt a little faster than the 5.0 when I drove them a couple months ago.

I don't drive enough to justify the ecoboost though, the extra cost doesn't make up for the gas savings for my amount of mileage. both the 5.0 and eco do get significantly better mileage than my 2010 5.4 f150 though. (At least 3 mpgs)

Cool truck though, post up the pics!
I thought I read that in my manual last night that it could run it. It was at 1:00am when I was reading the manual so I could be wrong. I don't really care about that anyway for me seeing how you get even worse MPG with E85.

If I was mistaken then I'm sorry to Big Dan also. I also read a test in edmunds claiming that is was set up for E85. I guess we all already know how accurate their reporting is though.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
In preparation for getting a ZL1 I've been looking at trading my camaro ,and I was also in market for a truck. I drove the 3.5 Ecoboost, the 5.0l and the 6.2l Supercrew 4x4 versions of Fords new f150 on Saturday ,and all I can say is "WOW!". That little V-6 feels like a big block and a diesel combined into one. I liked it so much that I traded my Camaro and my current truck without even looking at Dodge or Chevy. Well, I already knew what chevy had because that's what I traded. I hope it is as durable as it runs ,but I'm really not to worried about that. Now all I have to do is get my ZL1 and all will be right with the world.

Ford is making great trucks right now. I like the Chevys the best in the heavy duty line up ,but in this light duty segment I think Ford is on top right now. As for Dodge, I think using the hemi name to sell a mediocre truck is going to bite them in the ass soon. I know too many people that have countless problems with them.

Imwould hardly call the Dodge Mediocre as it is considered right at the top with the F-150 by basically every account and I haven't heard of a lot of problems with them. That said, sounds like you got a great truck.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Your wrong on both accounts from what I've seen and read. The ecoboost is designed to run on e85 also ,and I haven't seen a test yet that show's the 5.0l as being faster. Even if it is ,what I didn't like about the 5.0l was the throttle response. It was just like the 5.4l. You step on the gas and after what feels like forever it decided to go. When I tested them all side by side the 5.0l lost speed while going up a hill until it decided to down shift and take off.

Quote:
I thought I read that in my manual last night that it could run it. It was at 1:00am when I was reading the manual so I could be wrong. I don't really care about that anyway for me seeing how you get even worse MPG with E85.

If I was mistaken then I'm sorry to Big Dan also. I also read a test in edmunds claiming that is was set up for E85. I guess we all already know how accurate their reporting is though.
No worries

5.0L is in Gold with the Ecoboost in blue

BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
Its a nice engine, but not really all that more economical fuel economy wise like Ford would have you believe. 16/22 isn't exactly great.
maybe i am missing something, but that MPG sounds pretty good for a truck ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
maybe i am missing something, but that MPG sounds pretty good for a truck ?
Silverado XFE does 15/22. Standard 5.3L models do 15/21.

Throw in 4WD and the F-150 EcoBoost and Silverado 5.3L achieve the exact same FE numbers.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Throw in 4WD and the F-150 EcoBoost and Silverado 5.3L achieve the exact same FE numbers.
Not in real life, best my son could get with his Silverado was 17 and that was on a good day.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #23
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Even though they have the exact same FE numbers, the Ecoboost is able to push out 365 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque while the Silverado makes up to 315 hp and 335 lb-ft of torque. To be able to have an extra 50 hp and 85 lb-ft of torque and still have the same FE numbers is pretty impressive.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
No worries

the Blue truck doesn't have the ecoboost badge and every magazine has the Ecoboost tested quicker
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #25
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
the Blue truck doesn't have the ecoboost badge and every magazine has the Ecoboost tested quicker
I've been reading about them. I haven't found a test yet that doesn't but them at the top of the chain in the 1/4 mile. Pretty impressive ,but will it outlast a standard V-8. I guess only time will tell. Ford has a lot riding on this one. Where's the pics by the way?
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #26
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
The blue FX2 package truck come's with a 5.0L standard and ecoboost as an option.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #27
coolman

Quote:
No worries

After checking into this video, I found out that the blue truck was a 3.7l V-6 not the ecoboost. And ,the gold one was a 5.0l. Besides your showing a half ass drag race at a ford sign and drive event with most people that have no idea how to drag race. You must really be worried that this little six banger is going to put the V-8's to bed when you grasp at straws with a post like that. You usually have your facts straight. I don't know if I would buy one or not ,but with it being the fastest and most tow worthy in it's class, it's worth a look. I don't really care about the fuel mileage or the fact that is doesn't run on E85. That fuel sucks anyhow for fuel mileage.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #28
coolman

Quote:
The blue FX2 package truck come's with a 5.0L standard and ecoboost as an option.
The blue one is an STX ,not and FX2. I have a 40" screen.