Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy a ZL1?
Yes 142 33.57%
No 167 39.48%
Undecided 114 26.95%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #127
Shane D

Drives: old pontiac
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
It defies logic that the Camaro is made in Canada and yet it cost the canadians so much more to purchase the car! Is the Canadian government to blame or GM? I mean the extra costs can't be in the transportantion to the GM dealers thier in Canada since it's made thier! Just trying to figure out why since I do not live up thier in the great white north.
It is just the company gouging because they can. That happens a lot in Canada because most people think importing is too complicated and expensive. Also most companies will not let their American dealers sell into the Canada and "undercut" (read: charge US pricing) Canadian dealers.

Go to www.chevrolet.ca and build a loaded 2SS. It is 49K! Plus a 15% tax!!
ZL1 will be at LEAST 69K, as a base price (all those goodies have to be worth at least 20K). Then add dealer mark-ups and a 15% sales tax.

I don't think anybody in the US will get one off a lot for less than 60K, all in.
Unless your dealer loves you and you have a 5% sales tax.

Shane D
Shane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #128
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane D View Post
I don't think anybody in the US will get one off a lot for less than 60K, all in.
Unless your dealer loves you and you have a 5% sales tax.

Shane D
Yikes, what a guesstimate!...
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #129
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Dealers CAN'T sell for over MSRP in Saskatchewan, so at least I got THAT going for me........

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #130
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
It defies logic that the Camaro is made in Canada and yet it cost the canadians so much more to purchase the car! Is the Canadian government to blame or GM? I mean the extra costs can't be in the transportantion to the GM dealers thier in Canada since it's made thier! Just trying to figure out why since I do not live up thier in the great white north.
Its all of the above really.

First thing that needs to be understood is that Canadian workers get paid in Canadian dollars then spend that Canadian money within Canada. This seems extremely obvious, even silly to point out, but it is important when thinking about why Canadian prices are the way they are. Since we're not keyed to the US dollar, prices and wages within Canada are set more or less independently of what our dollar value is (when possible anyway, imported goods and materials usually go up when our dollar is low). Over time, this led to our economy becoming somewhat inflated relative to the US. Usually, this amounts to roughly a 20% premium on most things in Canada (before tax ... thats a whole 'nother issue for another time). Anyway, that works out fine when our dollar is worth around $0.80 US. Unfortunately, the US dollar is somewhat low right now so that we've been near or above parity for quite a while. This makes everything in Canada look more expensive than it really should be. But in reality, everything in the US is cheaper than it should be.

The main gouging that the automakers partake in is destination fees. Although Canada is a big country, the vast majority of the population live in a strip of land along the US border, with a good portion of the remaining citizens in a few cities farther north, and everyone else sorta scattered. Anyway, what all this means is that Canada is great for rail transportation. Simple and cheap. Problem is ... our destination fees are about twice that of the US. I have never heard a decent explanation on that one
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #131
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Yes, as soon as the order banks open, I will order one==================>>>
Old 05-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #132
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Would be nice if you set up an account with a USA bank
and purchase the car Thier at a dealer like Becky who
will be selling at or around MSRP. I know wishful thinking
but kinda sucks for our Canadian neighbors ESP when
the camaro is made Thier and Thier dollar is on par with
ours. The 15 percent sales tax I imagine is based more
on the European system of a flat tax to help pay for most
of the social programs so you would still have to pay that
when it's purchased and shipped back.
Just makes the LZ1 a pretty exp purchase for you guys
and gals up Thier.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #133
JLambCWU
JET JOCK

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL-1, Dakota 4x4 Ext Cab
My plan is to get one and pay cash for one around $50k in late Jan. I've saved 33k for it now and am putting away around 3k/month. Cyber Metallic Gray with black rally stripes front to back, and some good looking decals for the brake "vents."

I'd really like to drive a 2SS around for a couple days this summer and see if it's really what I want though. I was just in Nashville working and the AVIS rental place had 2SS's with HUDs for $140/day. Was thinking more like PCH driving up the west coast with it. Anyone know any good places in Oregon or California to rent a 2SS with the HUD etc. I know it will probably have to be an automatic from a rental place, but just want to get a feel for the inside of the ride.

~Justin
JLambCWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #134
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLambCWU View Post
My plan is to get one and pay cash for one around $50k in late Jan. I've saved 33k for it now and am putting away around 3k/month. Cyber Metallic Gray with black rally stripes front to back, and some good looking decals for the brake "vents."

I'd really like to drive a 2SS around for a couple days this summer and see if it's really what I want though. I was just in Nashville working and the AVIS rental place had 2SS's with HUDs for $140/day. Was thinking more like PCH driving up the west coast with it. Anyone know any good places in Oregon or California to rent a 2SS with the HUD etc. I know it will probably have to be an automatic from a rental place, but just want to get a feel for the inside of the ride.

~Justin
I flew into John Wayne (East LA) and rented an 2011 with HUD and sunroof and drove it for a week and loved it. It helped makeup my mind for a sunroof on the ZL1. I rented from Enterprise, but Hertz had some Camaros too.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #135
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
This pole is rather telling. Why so quiet everyone? We can get high volume seemingly endless "consumer" feedback on what is wanted, liked or disliked on the Zl1 from everyone on everything from the steering wheel, the hood, ergonomics, velour, colors, the head unit, auto transmission,....you name it, all of which potentially impacts the final development of the car. The raves, clamor, and hoorahs for this car were deafening. There have been about 2,000 responses to the auto transmission pole, and now only 300 people in a pole will say yes, no, or unsure about purchasing the ZL1? I would have thought we would be more vocal about this one way or another and equally speak out in numbers as with all the other issues discussed in the past here. Looks like people usually want to have their cake and eat it too. Could this not somehow be used to decide on production numbers even marginaly? Speak up everbody! You know Chevy is reading this.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #136
Whorable MPG1975
I'd rather be Blown.

Drives: 1975 CAMARO 454ciBBC/TKO-600
I really hope they build the ZL-1 right AND price it right. Another big thing is if they bring the Z-28 ( or Track pack/whatever), that it might hurt ZL-1 sales due to the price. If it came down to it, If i had a chance to mod a LS7 as opposed to the LSA, I would love to have the extra cubes. Lets hope they build them BOTH right!!
Whorable MPG1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #137
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Well, as a guy that said a definite yes, I hope Chevy is reading this. My only message that I hope they get out of this is:

1. Steering wheel. Please make it look better than a off the shelf model used on other cars. Make it unique to camaro. You are close with what you have, the center needs a little work.
2. Pricing. If the MSRP for this car starts with a 4, then its a no brainer. If it starts with a 5, I have to look at all my options.

keep up the good work
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #138
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I won't be getting one. I've done so much modding to my 2SS that it would be a step down to get the ZL1.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #139
Mrose

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Victory Red !!!!!!!
I have the first one that my local dealership is getting in. I used to work there so Im in for sure can't wait. Ya whats up with all the votes for the Automatic trans but looks like not that many are going to get one??????????? I say STICK IT!!!!manual that its.

Last edited by Mrose; 05-15-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: adding info
Mrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #140
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
I would buy one IF I could. What I have now might be gone soon. Best wishes to those with DEEP POCKETS.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote