Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexZr2 View Post
We "dismiss" the GT500 because we made the right choice and bought a ZL1.

Actually I did drive a GT500 before my purchase. Like others have said, it has power, bigtime. But it just doesnt match against the ZL1 when all factors are considered. Last but not least was the price which would have been close to 10G's more than what I eventually paid for my car.

It's great that you have more power... but that to me is the only significant advantage the GT500 can claim.

Comfort, handling, interior, cost, road noise, warranty, all break toward the ZL1. And if I need more power, that can be done to my Z easily.

My 2 cents

Edit: One other thing. Comparing a 60K plus car to a 30K rental that has been driven how many abused miles... really?
I should have stated that the impala only had about 3000 miles, its not like someone mud-bogged the thing...

My car was not 60K plus, I got a base car, with glass roof, -2k pff MSRP, $56K..

I see your comment about warranty, I'm curious about what extra warranty does the ZL1 have that the GT500 does not?

I bought a fast car to have a fast car, If I want comfort/quiet/ride, there are better choices for that beyond either the GT500 or ZL1...

Its great to have choices!
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #30
hockeylover86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
I like the price game. I got my car just how I wanted it for less than a ZL1.
Also want to drive C6Z06, C7 who cares which model, LS1 Fbody, SRT Challenger, Raptor, arrgh...

too many cool cars
Agreed...the "Hellcat" challenger is going to be one bad mofo too..
Old 10-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #31
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbambino22 View Post
ZL1 without a warranty. Modded vs stock is a useless debate. There will always be a price difference when building cars period. MSRP for ZL1/GT500 are the same. Options depend on individual preference
You missed the point I was making. MSRP is the same WHEN you do not take the options on the GT500. EVERY comparison test between the two (to my knowledge), the GT500 has had all of the performance options which really jacks the price up.

I'd like to see the GT500 lap LS the same time without its track upgrades. The ZL1 is "fully loaded" and "track capable" at its base price. The GT500 being the same price is just a marketing ploy to say "we're the same price as a ZL1 and perform just as good or better" When in fact you have to pay an additonal ~$7,000 to get all the fluid coolers, special suspension, rear diff, wheels, etc.

My point being, with the money you save by not having to take these options on the ZL1 you can put that towards other things. There are plenty of things you can upgrade without it messing with your warranty like suspension, cooling, etc.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
You missed the point I was making. MSRP is the same WHEN you do not take the options on the GT500. EVERY comparison test between the two (to my knowledge), the GT500 has had all of the performance options which really jacks the price up.

I'd like to see the GT500 lap LS the same time without its track upgrades. The ZL1 is "fully loaded" and "track capable" at its base price. The GT500 being the same price is just a marketing ploy to say "we're the same price as a ZL1 and perform just as good or better" When in fact you have to pay an additonal ~$7,000 to get all the fluid coolers, special suspension, rear diff, wheels, etc.

My point being, with the money you save by not having to take these options on the ZL1 you can put that towards other things. There are plenty of things you can upgrade without it messing with your warranty like suspension, cooling, etc.
I see your point. You want the ZL1 to be better than the GT500 so you use price difference to justify why its superior cause its 7000 less with optioned the same My point is you can go to the Ford dealer and get a GT500 that's faster in the 1/4 mile and road track than the ZL1 in the same price bracket. Which one will I drive? Doesn't matter cause its personal preference I'm a racer so my point of view is first one to the finish line wins. The GT500 did in both tests. I still drive a Camaro though cause personal preference.
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Not always the same price bracket http://www.caranddriver.com/features...t-laps-feature

I'm just saying for me personally the ZL1 was a better choice. It came better equipped from the factory in the SAME PRICE BRACKET. I see this financially and based on the time value of money, it made more sense to me. You site "personal preference" a few times in your last post, so I'm sure you can understand this rationale.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #34
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover86 View Post
I should have stated that the impala only had about 3000 miles, its not like someone mud-bogged the thing...

My car was not 60K plus, I got a base car, with glass roof, -2k pff MSRP, $56K..

I see your comment about warranty, I'm curious about what extra warranty does the ZL1 have that the GT500 does not?

I bought a fast car to have a fast car, If I want comfort/quiet/ride, there are better choices for that beyond either the GT500 or ZL1...

Its great to have choices!
If you have a base GT500 then you are missing the differential, and the adjustable suspension which is standard in the ZL1.. that option is $3500 for your GT500.

Then you have the SVT track pack for 3K which includes, external engine oil cooler, transmission cooler and rear dif cooler.. all STANDARD on the ZL1

As to warranty.. GM has a 5 year 100K mile warranty on its powertrain, Ford has 60K.

So if you want as close to apples to apples as a ZL1. Add another $6500 to your price and then you have fairly close to the same options as a base 54K ZL1.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
hockeylover86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexZr2 View Post
If you have a base GT500 then you are missing the differential, and the adjustable suspension which is standard in the ZL1.. that option is $3500 for your GT500.

Then you have the SVT track pack for 3K which includes, external engine oil cooler, transmission cooler and rear dif cooler.. all STANDARD on the ZL1

As to warranty.. GM has a 5 year 100K mile warranty on its powertrain, Ford has 60K.

So if you want as close to apples to apples as a ZL1. Add another $6500 to your price and then you have fairly close to the same options as a base 54K ZL1.
I'm not missing the differential, I just looked under the car, and it appears to still be there...

At $54k, you must be getting almost 4k off sticker for new ZL1's then, because on GM's build/price website the base ZL1 that I spec'd was about 57.8K. I tried to deal on a sweet black one last fall and the dealer would not budge from sticker.

I get what you mean, the std. ZL1 has the road course bits, while the std. GT500 gets the horsepower bits.

How much is the option for the ZL1 to get the ZR1 2.3L TVS supercharger? GT500 has that stock. How much is the glass roof option for the Camaro?

The cars really are priced closer than most people believe...
Old 10-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #36
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
I'm not missing the differential, I just looked under the car, and it appears to still be there...
A Base GT500 doesn't have the TORSEN diff, which I believe is what he is referring to.

The SVT Performance Package (additonal $3,495) includes:
TORSEN differential
lighter aluminum wheels
SVT Bilstein electronic adjustable dampers
Unique Springs

The SVT Track Pack (additional $2,995)
External engine cooler
Trans cooler
Diff cooler

ZL1 has all that standard..

Quote:
At $54k, you must be getting almost 4k off sticker for new ZL1's then, because on GM's build/price website the base ZL1 that I spec'd was about 57.8K. I tried to deal on a sweet black one last fall and the dealer would not budge from sticker.
Dang, I did not notice GM went up on the price of the ZL1, that SUCKS. If you want to buy a ZL1 now, you're paying more for an uglier model (IMO). Standard vehicle price for mine was $54,350 (see pic)

Last edited by BaylorCamaro; 10-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.