Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #71
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Sorry...I thought you were implying we were saying to put the small V6 in the Camaro as well. I agree with you though that having a small litre V6 engine in the general lineup may not be fesible when there is aready a Turbo 4....but maybe not. We'll see.

But that 3.8 or so V6 still sounds very awesome to me.
3.8 sounds awesome to me too. Had three of them. rock solid motor.
Supercharge and mod it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #72
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
The main thing the 6th gen needs is WEIGHT reduction. If GM can get weight down to the 3500lbs range, which going to the lighter caddy chassis can do, the current LFX will be fine on the 6th gen. I would not mind getting current LFX on a 3500lb 6th gen at all. All I would want is a a TQ increase w/ current LFX---oh somewhere around 300 TQ would be sweet.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #73
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySportRand View Post
Nothing wrong with a V6 in a Camaro. Not everyone wants or can afford an SS.

Heck, I think a 4 cylinder should be available for those that want it.

Who knows, maybe GM will put the 4 cylinder from the Equinox in the 6th Gen? If it can push around a 4000 lb Equinox, it should be able to push around a 5th or 6th Gen.
Correct! And in 1967 guess what the first option of the camaro was? It wasnt a V6, but an I6!

9/10, they'll have the TT4cyl (or single Turbo at minimum), a V6, SS, 1LE (hopefully more HP than the SS) and Z/28. I beleive the ZL-1 will not be made after this generation. No way they delete the Z/28 from the list as its ALWAYS been made every gen even if you were simply buying a badge in the late 70s though now.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #74
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Actually, it is kind of simple. I don't think anyone can really disagree with what you said there. Except that we aren't (or well, speaking for myself here) looking for some mythical thing.

What I'm looking for a is a combination of things:

1) 340ish HP V6 with a bit more torque than the current LFX...not much, but naturally if the HP rises by 15 or so, then surely we can expect a bit more torque hopefully.

2) Lighter weight. We already know by looking at the ATs that we should be able to see around 300 lbs lost.

3) 8 speed transmission in the auto.

I don't see any reason whatsoever they couldn't get a 3.6 or 3.7 V6 to make those kind of power numbers...its possible without really even being much of a stretch.

With the lighter weight and gearing, I don't see why at least 32 - 34 MPG highway wouldn't be possible.

So I think what I'm asking for is pretty realistic. Not asking for what your mentioning above. What your mentioning above is not much different than the SS owners asking for the next V8 in the Camaro to have 500 horsepower. Thats just silly talk right there.
I'm with you on the HP. Getting to 340 with a bump in torque is possible with continued refinement. But the LFX already was a nice refinement. So you could go to 3.7 or 3.8 and manage 340.

The only problem I have is getting MORE HP and MORE torque and also getting MORE MPG. Gearing with an 8 speed will get about 1 MPG according to something I read. It isn't a giant number. So that 1 MPG would only offset the added HP and Torque. So you are back to 30. As I said before, 50% of your highway number is aero. Mass is a portion for sure, but not as big as aero.

Now if you want the package, you only have to look at the Audi S4 I'm driving now. (long story but the ATS just didn't cut it and Audi fits golf clubs in the trunk far better than the gymnastics required to get two sets in the Cadillac). The S4 weighs about what a Camaro V6 weighs. But the wonderfullness is the 3.0 L supercharged V6. It makes 333 HP but the big fun comes from the 325 lbft of torque. It pulls like no other V6 car I've driven and will do a sub 5 second 0-60. The drivability is incredible and in sport mode with the DCT it is pretty much awesome. It's rated at 28 EPA, the same as the ATS.

So a lighter Camaro and more torque would be great for sure. Just not sure if you can have that AND better FE.

The lighter ATS with the Camaro V6 is only rated at 28. So the lighter ATS will not automatically reasult in better FE.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #75
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
The main thing the 6th gen needs is WEIGHT reduction. If GM can get weight down to the 3500lbs range, which going to the lighter caddy chassis can do, the current LFX will be fine on the 6th gen. I would not mind getting current LFX on a 3500lb 6th gen at all. All I would want is a a TQ increase w/ current LFX---oh somewhere around 300 TQ would be sweet.
I agree that weight is number 1. I've always thought that, but if they wanted to throw in a little power bump for the V6 I wouldn't complain about that lol. Next gen V6 or T4 should definitely be in the 3,400lb range or less according to the current Cadillac ATS and I'd be happy with that. If it is over 3,500 I'll be dissapointed. Over 3,600 would be ridiculous in my opinion. I fully expect the next gen SS to be betwee 3,500 to 3,600 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I'm with you on the HP. Getting to 340 with a bump in torque is possible with continued refinement. But the LFX already was a nice refinement. So you could go to 3.7 or 3.8 and manage 340.

The only problem I have is getting MORE HP and MORE torque and also getting MORE MPG. Gearing with an 8 speed will get about 1 MPG according to something I read. It isn't a giant number. So that 1 MPG would only offset the added HP and Torque. So you are back to 30. As I said before, 50% of your highway number is aero. Mass is a portion for sure, but not as big as aero.

Now if you want the package, you only have to look at the Audi S4 I'm driving now. (long story but the ATS just didn't cut it and Audi fits golf clubs in the trunk far better than the gymnastics required to get two sets in the Cadillac). The S4 weighs about what a Camaro V6 weighs. But the wonderfullness is the 3.0 L supercharged V6. It makes 333 HP but the big fun comes from the 325 lbft of torque. It pulls like no other V6 car I've driven and will do a sub 5 second 0-60. The drivability is incredible and in sport mode with the DCT it is pretty much awesome. It's rated at 28 EPA, the same as the ATS.

So a lighter Camaro and more torque would be great for sure. Just not sure if you can have that AND better FE.

The lighter ATS with the Camaro V6 is only rated at 28. So the lighter ATS will not automatically reasult in better FE.
I'm not dissmissing your points...you may end up being right that even with the current power the LFX makes, with less weight, and higher gearing that only 1 more MPG may be possible. Maybe they could only get 30 on the highway, but I hope they can pull off something a bit more without sacrificing power.

I think the next gen V6 (if it comes) HAS to be mid to low 5 second to 60mph, and at least a high 13 second 1/4 mile car. Hell, the current mustang V6 is basically that already with the performance package installed. It is is no faster than the current stock V6, I fear the performance difference between Fords base pony car and Chevy's will be too wide to be acceptable. The Cadillac ATS with the V6 and same gearing as the Camaro pulls off a mid 5 second 0 - 60 already, so I believe the Camaro will as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #76
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
All is not lost!

I suspect that eventually the I4 will be too much of a guzzler, so the camaro will get some kind of hybrid drivetrain with a V-twin or something and they will drop the V8 from the lineup and the ZL1 and Corvette will get a V6 with forced induction.

You will then be able to get a V6.
They'll quit making the camaro. I have a feeling they quit before they ever introduce a 4cyl into it.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #77
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Nice

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation