Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
sapperlite

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
Opinions on this Suspension Mod?

I like the split drop look. I was considering 1" drop springs in the front and stock springs in the back. Anyone done this setup? Also, would there be any negatives to going this route? I do plan on installing either BMR or Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. You guys know much more about this stuff than I so I would appreciate your input.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The split drop kit is a popular option and looks mean but I have not had anyone go the route you are describing.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 09-18-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperlite View Post
I like the split drop look. I was considering 1" drop springs in the front and stock springs in the back. Anyone done this setup? Also, would there be any negatives to going this route? I do plan on installing either BMR or Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. You guys know much more about this stuff than I so I would appreciate your input.
I think installing 1" lowering springs in the front and leaving the stock springs in the back would give you a ridiculously exaggerated raked stance which is okay if that is what you are looking for but will more than likely look tacky and unusual.

If you wanted the split drop look our BMR split drop lowering springs (1.4" front and 1" rear) would be a good way to go because they will give you a lowered aggressive stance with just a little extra rake mixed in. Our BMR split drop lowering springs are by far one of the most popular lowering spring options we offer. Adding our BMR sway bars to the split drop lowering springs setup will really balance the car and get rid of the body roll these cars are notorious for. Now the ride will be a little stiffer with the lowering springs but it isn't too bad at all and will give your Camaro that sports car feel like it should have had from the factory.

If you have any questions or are interested in these parts either give us or one of our many distributors a call and we would be more than happy to help you out.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
sapperlite

I am considering springs all the way around. I thought I might try installing the front lowering springs first and see how I like the rake. I have checked out pictures of BMR split drop lowering springs but I cannot see much of a difference in the rake (it might just be the pitcures).

Last edited by sapperlite; 09-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.
sapperlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Your handling will be reduced, not improved.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Johnny@MTI

Drives: 99 ls1 miata
Try throwing a set of MTI coils in the front. If you don't like it ill send you the rears to match. IMO i would rake it out the old fashion way.... with some big-o-drag radials.
Johnny@MTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
BMR Sales

Quote:
I am considering springs all the way around. I thought I might try installing the from lowering springs first and see how I like the rake. I have checked out pictures of BMR split drop lowering springs but I cannot see much of a difference in the rake (it might just be the pitcures).

Well which ever direction you decide to go we would be more than happy to help you out in any way we can. Another thing to think about is that by installing just the front springs and leaving the rear springs in the balance of the car will be thrown off and could potentially decrease the handling.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
sapperlite

Thanks all. I don't want to make the handling any worse so I believe I will throw away the idea of leaving the rear springs stock. I am researching several options for cost and the effect I want. Thanks again for your help!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
BMR Sales

Quote:
Thanks all. I don't want to make the handling any worse so I believe I will throw away the idea of leaving the rear springs stock. I am researching several options for cost and the effect I want. Thanks again for your help!
I think you will end up being much happier swapping a full set of springs in the car if that is option you choose to go. If I can help you answer any other questions just let me know.