#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #43
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM View Post
I'm just trying to help you. My post was meant to show that your message was so ill received because you did not take into account how it would come across. When you have to say "I don't mean any offense" in a post you're already working on shaky ground.
I realize you position, banger, is similar to mine in that you believe proper use of the English language is important... and I appreciate that.

Practically allof the things people say these day are "offensive" to someone, if they are in any way blunt and matter of fact. I don't know how we got so damned sensitive, but the least little bit of criticism seems to turn into "hate speech" very easily. It sickens me how weak and frail people have become. It's no wonder we (Americans) are scrambling to survive in a world we once dominated due to our inner strength. It is for that reason that I sometimes apologize up front to whatever overly sensitive person will read what I post and be offended - I know it's going to happen.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #44
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...Grammar "Police".....Grammar "Nazis"....hmmm.....Interesting how a perceived "right" to be lazy, rude, self-righteous, etc., with terrible spelling and grammar is defended with demeaning titles aimed at those who don't care for it....

It all makes sense, actually and is not surprising....Only the selfish would complain that some think we shouldn't have ignorance foisted upon us as if it were normal and acceptable...
Amen.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #45
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Mathod? ?? http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359252

I'm not getting involved in this I just laugh when you guys do...lol...
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #46
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Proper spelling and grammar are essential to a healthy career. Agreed. I would think that's important for all people. Who doesn't want a more satisfying career, or at least a better paying job? You go back and check your posts, make corrections, and put in effort to come off as decently educated. Would you say it has been advantageous for you to do so? In your healthy career, would you pick a co-worker, manager, or subordinate that has poor grammar and spelling, or proper grammar and spelling? As a person, if you were spelling or typing incorrectly, do you think it would be beneficial for someone to correct you? Correct, or at least "good" spelling and grammar are signs of educated people.

I would say spelling and grammar are a big deal that people write off too easily. Even if you don't care at all, simply doing it well will provide benefits that you may not even realize. You may not judge (I applaud you for that), but many people do. At least enough to get a bunch of posts moved into their own thread in Off Topic.

And I think when you correct someone, you have to say "no offense". There are a lot of chronically offended people out there...
And another Amen.

As for me... I appreciate it when people correct me when I'm wrong, so long as they do it with good intent. I, too, re-read most of my posts before hitting the "submit reply" button. It is all too obvious that many people here do not.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #47
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Kalimus,
Most definitely. It is an indicator (in most cases) of an educated individual. I am always a proponent of education and literacy. I'm just saying we went a little too far today critiquing those who in no way asked for a critique.
Palmer,
I hear ya brother, I can't stand today's trend of over sensitivity perpetuated by both the media and media consumers. But correcting somebody's spelling over the internet is almost always going to end up like this. Just find something to bite down on and bear it. It can't be expected that everybody will share the same values.
Just so we're clear here. I don't disagree with you guys at an ideological level. I do disagree with y'all at the practical level by calling out the errors of strangers on internet forums. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #48
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Camaro internet chat board lol
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #49
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
i dont know why some people call people who correct peoples spelling grammar nazis when they are not correcting grammar they are correcting spelling it doesnt make sense but maybe there should be a term like spelling cop or something why cant we all just agree that we like pie
Old 05-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #50
PalmerGA

Quote:
Kalimus,
Most definitely. It is an indicator (in most cases) of an educated individual. I am always a proponent of education and literacy. I'm just saying we went a little too far today critiquing those who in no way asked for a critique.
Palmer,
I hear ya brother, I can't stand today's trend of over sensitivity perpetuated by both the media and media consumers. But correcting somebody's spelling over the internet is almost always going to end up like this. Just find something to bite down on and bear it. It can't be expected that everybody will share the same values.
Just so we're clear here. I don't disagree with you guys at an ideological level. I do disagree with y'all at the practical level by calling out the errors of strangers on internet forums. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I understand... but I just can't give ignorance a free pass, no matter where I see it. I would argue the importance to try to correct it 'til the cows come home. I agree that it isn't practical in this setting, but every once in a while I have to try to open some eyes.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #51
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
i dont know why some people call people who correct peoples spelling grammar nazis when they are not correcting grammar they are correcting spelling it doesnt make sense but maybe there should be a term like spelling cop or something why cant we all just agree that we like pie
Old 05-20-2014, 05:16 AM   #52
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Proper spelling, grammar, and editing are essential to a healthy career. But for some people it isn't important, and I don't judge them for that. Lol, look at my posts and you'll notice that over half of them say I edited the post. I go back and check my spelling and wording every time I post. I am a decently educated (Master's in Communication) person, and I like to come off as such. And I am always a proponent for a proper application of the English language. What's my point then?

Let it be.
I align myself with many of the posters here. Correct grammar, spelling and punctuation are extremely important in all formal and semi-formal "forums" (read; environments).

6bangerBoom: you made a KEY statement: " I go back and check my spelling and wording every time I post."

My posts, too, are littered with edits and, yet, the odd error still is present. The KEY, however, is that many of us go back and recheck our "work". I certainly don't want others who read my posts (or any other written work) to have to second-guess what it is I'm asking about or describing.

As PalmerGA pointed out: There is a level of pride associated with presenting oneself publicly. It is not a false sense of pride. It is a very basic, near self-understood level of proficiency that should be learned during one's early, formative years.

I was born in the late 1950's, grew up in the 60's and 70's and my parents (neither of which were college graduates) always discouraged me from using incorrect grammar (such as the word "ain't"), profanity and always told me to look up the meaning of words in the dictionary. My elementary school and jr. high school teachers also corrected us when we used incorrect grammar, spelling and punctuation and our written work and oral presentations were graded accordingly.

When I point out someone's post is incoherent because of their poor or incorrect word usage, I'm not attempting to convey in any way that I am a "better" person than they are (but I'm also not worse than anyone else either), but the use of appropriate grammar, spelling and punctuation are a matter of pride and healthy self-esteem.

As I stated previously, I believe posts which contain many grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors reflect the poster's ignorance and sloppiness. Basically, through the failure of attempting any correction of these, they're telling us "I don't give a shit. Deal with it."
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #53
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
OK two pet peeves, sorry.
1. Cars stop with brakes, not breaks. This is an automotive forum, you'd think they'd know that.
2. "I seen." What ever happened to the past tense verb "saw? " It is either "I saw" or "I have seen." Unfortunately anymore I almost never see, or hear, people use the proper word "saw" anymore.

And yes people will judge you by your grammar and spelling whether you like it or not, so why not put your best foot forward? "It's the internet, it doesn't matter" baffles me. One thing to write something only at work or home that few people will be able to see, another thing to put it on the internet where anyone in THE ENTIRE WORLD with a computer can see and judge you by. "The internet: The ability to embarrass yourself on a world wide level!"
With that said the fact is there are, and will always be people who either lack the skills or just aren't concerned. So the way I see it being the Grammar Police, or a Grammar Nazi is just pissin' in the wind. But hey, if it makes you happy...
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #54
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
We could all click the "Try Free" button on the ad
Attached Images

Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #55
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Funny, my ad is trying to sell me a Chrysler! Never EVER searched that or have been on a Chrysler site.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #56
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
We could all click the "Try Free" button on the ad
Lmao, it was probably no coincidence that an Ad like that would appear. The internet is terrifying.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote