Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #1
Brandon_Lutz

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange 1SS/RS
Need Air Conditioner help.

About a year ago, I lost the AC in my 2012 SS. Originally thought it was the expansion valve by the way the pressures were acting so I replaced it. However on the recharge, it still would not cool and acted like there was a restriction in the system.

Long story short, I discovered the desiccant bag popped and clogged up the system. Last week after not doing much else about it, I finally decided to rebuild the AC system.

I replaced the condenser, the compressor, discharge/suction line and blew out all the other lines. Kept the new expansion valve installed as it had not been used since I installed it.

Had some issues with my manifold gauge set so I was not able to pull vacuum today until my new set came in.

I pulled a vac and it held at -30 for an hour. I then let the vac pull on it for about 2 hours. I then began to recharge the system. I let the vacuum pull in most of the first can before starting up the car and turning the AC on. I let the first can suck down and then started on the second one weighing it out to make sure I put in 21 oz's.

The compressor never kicked on after putting in the right amount. It finally kicked on when it finished sucking in the rest of the second can, which in this case should be an over charge on the system. Even at this point, the low side pressure is only reading about 40PSI with the outside ambient temp being 100F at the time of attempted charge. Withe the compressor now running the ac is only putting out a temp of 75F. I don't want to put any more r134a in as technically it is over charged now with 24oz in it.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the AC evap temp sensor is not working? Any ideas?
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 02:36 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
No issue with the blend door? Although usually, the blend door will cause cold out of one side vent and warm out the other. Just a thought.
Old 08-27-2023, 02:53 PM   #3
Brandon_Lutz

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
No issue with the blend door? Although usually, the blend door will cause cold out of one side vent and warm out the other. Just a thought.
I'm getting lukewarm air out of all of the vents. 80 in the sides and 75 in the two middle ones.

I'm going to to get a shop to discharge it for me and then try to replace the expansion valve again as it sat up for a year being unused and I'll change the evap temp sensor since it's an inexpensive part. I did some research last night and if it's faulty it can keep the compressor from kicking on properly. That might explain why it would not kick on when properly charged and only kicked on when it was overcharged by 3 oz.

Last edited by Brandon_Lutz; 08-28-2023 at 07:38 AM.
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #4
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Did you flush the evaporator? If not there is a good chance it is clogged and your new condenser is probably clogged too. What is your high side pressure when running compare high and low pressures to a temp chart if your high side is sky high you have a clog/restriction in the system. Also your compressor comes with about 3oz of oil did you add any extra for the accumulator, condenser, and hopefully flushed evaporator?
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote