Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
ACL

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Exhaust Advice Needed (All Opinions Welcome)

I'm looking for advice on changes to my exhaust so I'll start by saying what I'm looking for and explaining my past experiences. I am solely looking to upgrade the SOUND of my car, not worried about any of the performance gains from the mods. I'm looking for a nice deep tone and pretty good volume, but not obnoxiously loud.. I previously owned a 5.4L F150 and had a complete Magnaflow cat-back system put on it. I absolutely loved the tone but honestly wanted to hear more in the cabin! I'm not sure if the tone or anything about it would be similar from the truck to a Camaro, but any insight there would be appreciated. From all the research I've put in, I'm still on the fence about what to go with. Would love any input or suggestions, biased or unbiased. My budget (including paying for installation) is about $1000-$1400, but of course I'd love to save some of that for exterior mods. Seems like an axleback system with some headers and high flow cats would be up my alley, but also a little out of budget from what I can tell. Currently I'm considering these options:

Magnaflow Axle-Back
Borla S-Type Axle-Back
Flowmaster Axle-Back (outlaw? American Thunder?)

(I've heard intakes can contribute to a more aggressive sound... true?)
http://marylandspeed.com/cold-air-in...acturers_id=16

My Camaro is an automatic if that affects any thoughts.. Please excuse my ignorance or general lack of knowledge But once again, I know everyone has their own opinion and favorite set up and I'm willing to consider anything in my budget. Any links to best prices or favorite dealers would be great as well. Thanks in advance for your responses
ACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #2

Drives: Camaro
I have a GM Track Pack axle back for sale. Its comparable to the borla without the hideous tips. By far the best sounding exhaust in my opinion without creating drone et.
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
Well with an auto from what I've heard it will sound like crap when it kicks to 4 cyl mode. I bought a used Flowmaster outlaw axle back for $250 and paid $100 for install. Sounds really good and deep. I then got a CAI but don't hear much of a difference in sound. Bought texas speed headers for $275 I belive but have yet to get them installed because Of the weather. Don't get headers with out dyno tune. Had headers and an American Thunder catback in my GTO and it sounded amazing. Can't wait to hear this one
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
Welcome to the mad world of Camaro.
Here is a link of many aftermarket exhausts

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289

I have the XS Power system on my 6 speed manual which I purchased from a friend who had it on his automatic l99 which was tuned and the AFM was shut down.

http://youtu.be/1xS1hSQum_I
Old 01-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
HOS2014SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS L99
I have a 14' SS L99, and am also looking at exhaust options. Recently installed Solo high flow cats which helped some but looking for more sound, still too quiet IMO. I do now here a noise at times that I thought was coming from the resonator, but after researching it may be when the AFM kicks in (AFM can be disabled w a Range device)

Considering Borla S-type cat back system (which prices just went up on), FlowMaster catback system, or any other options that would give more of a muscle car sound. Even looked at adding a X-pipe and doing an exhaust delete. Decisions decisions....
HOS2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL View Post
My Camaro is an automatic if that affects any thoughts.. Please excuse my ignorance or general lack of knowledge But once again, I know everyone has their own opinion and favorite set up and I'm willing to consider anything in my budget. Any links to best prices or favorite dealers would be great as well. Thanks in advance for your responses

Do yourself a favor and order a Range as soon as possible. The automatic SS Camaros have a fuel management system that makes the engine run on 4 cylinders at times. Your car will sound like crap with a modified exhaust. The Range plugs right into the diagnostics port under your dash and prevents this from happening. It installs in less than 10 seconds and can easily be removed if you ever need warranty work.

I also have an automatic 2014 SS. Like you, I wanted to upgrade the sound of the exhaust. I took everyone's advice and got a Range, then, just today, I went and tried a simple muffler delete. It cost $100. The car sounds great. A lot of guys on this forum recommended it. I figured, what the heck, it only costs $100 to try it. I'm glad I did. Unless you are going to get headers or a full system, the muffler delete is an axle-back option to consider.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Solo might be where you want to look with a L99. Guaranteed to not drone and it is a muffler delete system so nice volume, but not obnoxious in the cabin, however when you get on it you definitely know you have a V8.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Solo might be where you want to look with a L99. Guaranteed to not drone and it is a muffler delete system so nice volume, but not obnoxious in the cabin, however when you get on it you definitely know you have a V8.
This

SOLO FTW
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Carls2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS M6
I have the SW retro chambered cat-back. Nice deep tone, no noticeable drone. I do have a manual 6 so, don't know about drone on the A6. But 6 months later, I still love the sound!! Headers and Tune coming this Spring :-)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=25
Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Noctis

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Go SW retro the deep muscular sound it has will blow you away ever since I put my longtube and the exhaust system its compliments after compliments now camming it is a whole other story
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #11
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Long tubes.. Run them with your factory cat back trust me this is perfect...

Deeper tone, little raspier, can hear it in cabin way better I can go on n on but you get the point.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #12
chavabd87

Drives: Silver Camaro
I dont have a bunch of experience since my Camaro(Carmela) is my first car in which I do mods. I have a 2010 SS2/RS L99. I just got the Range, trust me, get the range. You will notice the AFM kick it all the time and when you add an aftermarket exhaust, it's annoying as hell! It feels bad and slow for some reason that I even felt like selling my Borla S-Type Cat-back. Once I bought the Range it was like night and day. The car feels way better and the Borla sounds awesome. But back to the exhaust question you had. I think the S-type is perfect IMO its loud enough to hear some of the sound in the cabin and at WOT its really loud like it should be. Loud when it should be and quiet when your at cursing speeds. Before I got the Borla Flowmaster(American Thunder) was my 2nd choice. It sounded really good also. Corsa was my 3rd. Its all a matter of preference. I would try and listen to some in person if you can. Computer speakers dont do the exhaust any justice. But again, whatever you end up getting get a Range to go along with it.
chavabd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:12 AM   #13
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I really like my current setup.
Texas speed longtubes
Ls3 Catback into NPP mufflers.
I pieced it together but it's amazing.
I had another setup once upon a time that was amazing.
Flowmaster American thunder axle back and I replaced the huge resonator with straight pipes. It was rowdy!!
Check into a Range device or tune whichever route you go
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Go SW retro the deep muscular sound it has will blow you away ever since I put my longtube and the exhaust system its compliments after compliments now camming it is a whole other story
What he said. Here is the Retro Chambered cat back on a completely stock SS.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, exhaust, flowmaster, magnaflow, sound