Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #897
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Administrator Please close this thread...this article should end ALL further discussion. Thank you.

"Camaro Chief Al Oppenheiser: Next-Gen Camaro Will Not Offer A Four-Cylinder

In a bid to offer a more refined, efficient, and nimble car that will be competitive not only in North America, but in Europe as well as in other parts of the world, Ford has said it will offer a turbocharged four-cylinder engine in the next-generation 2015 Mustang. This has led to speculation that General Motors will follow suit and offer a four-banger in the next-gen 2015 (or 2016) Camaro.

According to AutoGuide, a four cylinder engine option will not find its way under the hood of the next Camaro, at least not if Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser has anything to do with it.

“We’re not following Ford”, Oppenheiser told AG during the 2013 SEMA show. “As long as they’ll pay me to be the chief engineer, I’m going to fight for every horsepower I can and every cylinder I can,” he said. Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards for cars will jump from an average of 27.5 MPG, where it has been since 1990, to 37.8 MPG by 2016. This mandated increase is forcing automakers to downsize engines, some of which have been removing two cylinders while adding forced induction such as turbo-charging. As such, some V8s are being replaced with turbo-charged six-cylinders, and naturally-aspirated six-cylinders have been eschewed in favor of boosted fours.

For its part, General Motors is no longer offering a six-cylinder engine in the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu or Buick Regal, opting to solely offer powerful turbo-charged four-bangers. But The General has also been able to avoid downsizing its engines in its all-new full-size pickup trucks such as the 2014 Silverado and 2014 Sierra. Instead of downsizing, GM elected to engineer an all-new eight-cylinder engine line called EcoTec3 with a host of modern technologies such as direct injection, variable valve timing, and active fuel management, also known as cylinder deactivation. By contrast, cross-town rival Ford has fully embraced the downsizing trend, and is experiencing a great degree of success with its EcoBoost four- and six-cylinder powerplants.

Oppenheiser addressed the possible future demise of V8 engines, saying that, “In the future, something I don’t think the public realizes yet, there may be a day when nobody, Ford, Chrysler or GM has a V8, or if they do it would be a very highly-priced V8 because you’ve got to add your whole stable of cars and come up with a fuel economy number”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
What Al wants and what GM corporate tells him to do are two very different things.

Just sayin'.
Furthermore - Scott has openly said that Al was misquoted in the article.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #898
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Reading comprehension is important.
lol....funny ain't it?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #899
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Reading comprehension is important.
? Can you be less cryptic? Earlier I mentioned the SS sedan, the guy I quoted said it was going to be a 4 banger.

I still don't see 4 banger in ANY reviews of this car.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #900
revychevy

In any event I was talking about whether the SS was going to be V8 (in response to they can't make anymore V8 cars. He replied with some nonsense about the commodore and badge engineering of a similar car sold in Australia.

This thread is about Camaro sold in the US and whether GM would be forced to make a 4 banger Camaro.

My point stands thank you very much-- that if they are making a full sized 4door V8 SS sedan, they must not yet be done with V8s!

You can keep your sarcasm, and your smarmy little insults roll
Em into a ball and stick them deep in your four corner contact!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #901
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
? Can you be less cryptic? Earlier I mentioned the SS sedan, the guy I quoted said it was going to be a 4 banger.

I still don't see 4 banger in ANY reviews of this car.
Again, reading comprehension is important.

He's referring to the next-generation Commodore, which is likely going FWD Epsilon with a 4-cylinder base engine.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #902
revychevy

Quote:
Again, reading comprehension is important.

He's referring to the next-generation Commodore, which is likely going FWD Epsilon with a 4-cylinder base engine.
His referral was irrelevant to my assertion that the CHEVY SS was V8!
His referral to the Commodor was in a post (if you have reading comprehension) that was rebutting my comment about the CHEVY SS SEDAN! So he remarked that I was wrong because a DIFFERENT CAR NOT SOLD IN THE US will be 4 cylinder , but NOT THE ONE I SAID!

Get my drift?
Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #903
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
His referral to the Commodor was in a post (if you have reading comprehension) that was rebutting my comment about the CHEVY SS SEDAN! So he remarked that I was wrong because a DIFFERENT CAR NOT SOLD IN THE US will be 4 cylinder , but NOT THE ONE I SAID!

Get my drift?
The CURRENT Commodore/SS Sedan has a V8.

The next generation will most likely not. The point he's trying to make is the SS is part of a dying breed and GM is moving Commodore towards a 4-cylinder future, which may happen with the 6th gen Camaro as well. Just look at GM's sales projections for SS, even they don't expect to sell many of them. V8 RWD sedans are now a niche market, so that's a terrible argument for you to use to justify not putting a 4-cylinder into Camaro.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #904
revychevy

Quote:

The next generation will most likely not. The point he's trying to make is the SS is part of a dying breed and GM is moving Commodore towards a 4-cylinder future, which may happen with the 6th gen Camaro as well. Just look at GM's sales projections for SS, even they don't expect to sell many of them. V8 RWD sedans are now a niche market, so that's a terrible argument for you to use to justify not putting a 4-cylinder into Camaro.
It's so dying that GM is coming out with a sedan V8, a Z-28 V8, a corvette sting ray V8 and a super charged corvette Z06 V8.

Yeah. V8's are over, they just did all that plus a refresh on Camaro's for just one year.

Then everybody's getting 4 bangers.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #905
revychevy

Your problem Fenwick is you think because you say something it must be believed as true.

If GM projections were that the SS was a dog, and that all V8's were done and should be 4 bangers. WHY MAKE THEM?

All those cars would be econo box 4's -- the Corvette would be discontinued and we wouldn't have a Camaro enthusiast site for a Chevy econo box!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #906
FenwickHockey65

"V8 RWD sedans are now a niche market" is what I said. I didn't say anything about Corvette or Camaro V8s going away.

But to be perfectly honest, neither of those are high volume cars either.

Your problem is you're so desperately clinging to the notion of a V8 that apparently you think anything less spells the end of the world and if anyone brings up an alternative, you view it as an attack on V8s as a whole. NOWHERE have I said that V8s are dying. In fact the Gen V V8s are probably among the best engines on the market right now in terms of power, technology, and FE.

And GM projections DO list SS as a low-volume niche car. That is not opinion, that is FACT.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #907
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #908
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:

Get my drift?
...caps are rude in text....just sayin'...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #909
revychevy

Quote:

Isn't this where you said, "the SS is part of a dying breed..."

Looks that way to me. Then you try to change what you said-- like it's not there?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #910
revychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...caps are rude in text....just sayin'...
If I capitalized everything I would be shouting and I would agree with you.

But if you capitalize a word or two for EMPHASIS it's not shouting and NOT rude.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation