Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #43
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
I had (and still do have) and M6. The way Ted (JRE) explained it to me was that the way the stock ECM is programmed there is a little squirt of fuel programmed into the exhaust stroke of the cycle. At higher RPM's it gets burned before reaching the exhaust, at lower RPM's it makes it to the exhaust before ignition where it then "pops" as a complete waste of fuel...unless you value the "pop". Eliminate the exhaust stroke squirt...and eliminate the "pop". Disclaimer...this is from memory 5 years ago I might not have said exactly what he said but it is the general version of it.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #44
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
An internal combustion engine is built on the premise that an explosion will push the piston down which compresses the connecting rod which passes on to spin crankshaft.

Deceleration is exactly the opposite. the crankshaft is pulling down and stretching the connecting rod and piston in way it was never meant to go.

Sure with the computer controlled technology we have it will put up with it, but it is far from ideal.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #45
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
An internal combustion engine is built on the premise that an explosion will push the piston down which compresses the connecting rod which passes on to spin crankshaft.

Deceleration is exactly the opposite. the crankshaft is pulling down and stretching the connecting rod and piston in way it was never meant to go.

Sure with the computer controlled technology we have it will put up with it, but it is far from ideal.
Hard to believe that deceleration was never factored into the equation of what a piston and rod must do during its life cycle. Kind of Newton's Law - for every action...

And as far as that little "squirt" of gas we should tune out, what does that translate to over the course of a tank of fuel? I want pop-per-gallon stats!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #46
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

Stretching in a way it was never meant to go??? What do you think happens on the intake stroke even when you're accelerating?

On decel, with the engine being driven by the car's momentum, its main mission of making power to move the car is on hold. Instead of being a power-producer, it's temporarily become a power-absorber. Call this a convenient side effect for those times when more engine power is exactly what you don't want. At most, you only have to keep the engine from conking out. Which doesn't take any fueling or ignition at all if your fuel-cut-on-decel logic turns the fuel and spark back on at the right time/rpm level. Pretty hard to get this wrong enough for a racing environment for it to matter.

Never mind that you're conveniently ignoring the effect of inertia loading on the rods as the piston moves through TDC during the overlap phase even when it's in power-producing mode. The g's experienced by the piston and tensile loading on the rod are at their highest then, and the g's involved are not small numbers (well up in the thousands of g's, IIRC, got a spreadsheet app for this somewhere).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-11-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #47
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Hard to believe that deceleration was never factored into the equation of what a piston and rod must do during its life cycle. Kind of Newton's Law - for every action...

And as far as that little "squirt" of gas we should tune out, what does that translate to over the course of a tank of fuel? I want pop-per-gallon stats!
It's one thing if the reciprocating mass follows and another if you force it.
Did you ever own a mechanical watch and were warned never to set it back?

That squirt of fuel probably makes it easier on the parts causing at least some push on the piston.

For pop-per-gallon note that the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) lengthened their races from 3:30 to 3:45 so the fuel saving 10th place runner had to make another stop instead of winning.
So 15 minutes/tank.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #48
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
It's one thing if the reciprocating mass follows and another if you force it.
Did you ever own a mechanical watch and were warned never to set it back?

That squirt of fuel probably makes it easier on the parts causing at least some push on the piston.

For pop-per-gallon note that the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) lengthened their races from 3:30 to 3:45 so the fuel saving 10th place runner had to make another stop instead of winning.
So 15 minutes/tank.
On a motor gettin wat MPG? LULZ this is ONLY happening when car is left in gear in a decel envelope...I usually am poppin into neutral when coastin to a stop...heck I put it in neutral comin down the mountain on the interstate....rolls in neutral at 80...no probs...

And to a previous post about our cars decel pops soundin like a ricer,,,ROFL...anybody confusin the 2 needs to get their hearin checked...ain't no comparin the 2...
Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #49
Motarded421

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
On a motor gettin wat MPG? LULZ this is ONLY happening when car is left in gear in a decel envelope...I usually am poppin into neutral when coastin to a stop...heck I put it in neutral comin down the mountain on the interstate....rolls in neutral at 80...no probs...

And to a previous post about our cars decel pops soundin like a ricer,,,ROFL...anybody confusin the 2 needs to get their hearin checked...ain't no comparin the 2...
What is the purpose of doing that? You'd actually save fuel since the fuel flow is completely stopped when at 0% throttle and no load. Doesn't cause any additional wear and tear on the vehicle to let it engine brake (which is minimal in 6th gear anyways) going down a mountain....
Motarded421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #50
LunarEclipse

Drives: 2013SS IOM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
The undisputed stock king of pop is the Jaguar F Type R.
YES this car is amazing, buddy of mine has one and sounds sick
Old 10-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #51
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motarded421 View Post
What is the purpose of doing that? You'd actually save fuel since the fuel flow is completely stopped when at 0% throttle and no load. Doesn't cause any additional wear and tear on the vehicle to let it engine brake (which is minimal in 6th gear anyways) going down a mountain....
I always get better MPG when I cruise in neutral on huge hills
Old 10-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #52
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
heck I put it in neutral comin down the mountain on the interstate....rolls in neutral at 80...
An unwise technique for reasons not relevant to this discussion.

Norm
Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #53
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
hmmm. comin from a 'stang driver I'll leave that one alone....and your RELEVANT is IRRELEVANT to me sir!
Old 10-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #54
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Love the way my v6 gurgles and pops on decel. Now I just need some Hi-flos to get her really goin
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #55
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
hmmm. comin from a 'stang driver I'll leave that one alone....and your RELEVANT is IRRELEVANT to me sir!
Don't judge us all by the moronic meme-inspiring driving of a few. Or underestimate the experience of others no matter what they might have chosen to drive.

Norm
Old 10-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #56
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
How is this unwise?