Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Solo might be where you want to look with a L99. Guaranteed to not drone and it is a muffler delete system so nice volume, but not obnoxious in the cabin, however when you get on it you definitely know you have a V8.
THIS !. ...
Deep rumble and no drone on my L99 at any RPM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
HOS2014SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
THIS !. ...
Deep rumble and no drone on my L99 at any RPM.
Myold88, Do you have the Solo Mach XL w J-pipes setup?
HOS2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #17
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
have the Stainless works retro chambered catback, IMO it sounds even better in person, the video above gives you an idea but it is awesome in person! my 2 cents

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #18
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftenimitated View Post
Well with an auto from what I've heard it will sound like crap when it kicks to 4 cyl mode.
This is absolutely true. No matter what aftermarket exhaust you get, you need to get the DOD tuned out of your L99. Trust me, I speak from experience. Your 2010 should be at the end of the powertrain warranty anyway, so you should do this even if you don't replace the exhaust. I'm pretty sure you didn't buy a 6.2-Litre V8 to be driving around on four cylinders.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #19
iCamaro81

Drives: 2014 Camaro Convertible L99
I just installed the QTP electric cut outs with the wireless kit and it is AWESOME. I have a L99 Vert and the deep exhaust sound is perfect. I like that I can open them and it sounds mean and when I want it quiet I can easily do it. Install was a breeze too. I ordered the kit from Phastek and the turn downs from Jannetty. You can definitely hear it in the cabin. I couldn't be happier...well maybe with headers but those will come when I get the funds. Haha. In my opinion, as with other exhaust systems videos don't do them justice. It sounds great and if you drive "normally" it is not to crazy but if you want it to scream push the pedal and it will definitely do that. As others have stated, the look I get when I'm in "stock" mode and someone pulls up revving their car/truck and I give them my nod of approval then open those things and take off is priceless. I have lost count of the thumbs up and people saying, "that sounds bad ass."

Last edited by iCamaro81; 01-10-2015 at 10:28 AM.
iCamaro81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #20
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
I snagged an axle-back kit from a forum member, it's made by a company called MRT(they're in MI I think), I'm very happy with it, a little quiet at idle, NO drone and when you get on it you know you actually have a V8(it's sickening how quiet these cars are from the factory).
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.

Last edited by FrostySS; 01-12-2015 at 06:51 AM.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #21
amerimuscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Personal experience....borla atak sounds awesome and likewise with the SW retro chambered.
amerimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #22
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS2014SS View Post
Myold88, Do you have the Solo Mach XL w J-pipes setup?
I put the Solo Axle Back J-Pipes on my SS on March of 2011. Worth every penny.
I was part of a group buy when they were first offered by solo.
Again, no drone at all on my otherwise stock L99.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #23
rcwest

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS Camaro
Agree with everyone on the SW retro catback. Not sure about what it sounds like with an automatic but on my M6 I absolutely love it.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #24
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Havent heard a car I like more than mine:

SP LT Headers 1 7/8"
SP HF Cats
STOCK L99 (auto) center resonator
SOLO Axleback with J pipes
Quad 4" tips

Its deep, not raspy at all under load, loud when you want it. Get a good rumble all the time and up to 2.5k rpm. Then it screams at 3k rpm and above.
All cruising speeds and idiling its not loud inside.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #25
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftenimitated View Post
Well with an auto from what I've heard it will sound like crap when it kicks to 4 cyl mode. I bought a used Flowmaster outlaw axle back for $250 and paid $100 for install. Sounds really good and deep. I then got a CAI but don't hear much of a difference in sound. Bought texas speed headers for $275 I belive but have yet to get them installed because Of the weather. Don't get headers with out dyno tune. Had headers and an American Thunder catback in my GTO and it sounded amazing. Can't wait to hear this one
If OP goes with headers he'll need a tune anyway. If he has an A6, AFM can be tuned out at that time. Or, if not going with a tune... a Range device works just fine to rid the A6 of the annoying AFM. $150
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #26
ACL

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Thanks for all of the responses everyone, love this community
I ended up going with a muffler delete to start with, definitely an improvement but not quite satisfying.. Decided I'm gonna get some Noweeds, really like the idea of being able to be loud as hell and also have the ability to leave the neighborhood at night without waking everyone up. Their reputation and quality seem to make them worth the higher price compared to cutouts (especially when considering after installation of cutouts, the prices are much closer). Can't wait to get them on Have a Range device headed my way as well. Anyways, thanks again for all of your opinions.

Tags
borla, exhaust, flowmaster, magnaflow, sound