Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #43
LiquidDragon

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
Maybe not a great Camaro design but I think it would be a sweet little 4 banger or 6 cyl by GM to compete against smaller cars like the new Scion and Subaru that just came out not to long ago.
LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #44
Brettzel

Drives: #null
I feel like all of your designs seem to travel the same direction, in terms of general figure. Have you tried doing paper and pencil work, sketching out shapes and such, rather than going through the entire process on the computer (which I am only assuming you do, please correct me if I am wrong). I feel you could definitely get something more well received, and generally better designed, if you started with a hand sketch.

"Anyone who tells me a good car is one that is light with high power to weight ratio is an amateur." - Kazutoshi Mizuno

Brettzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #45
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
I think this a great direction. The only thing I would change is the lights. I am not sure what I want to see yet but I would like to see it a little sinister. I for one have no problem with a 4 seat corvette called Camaro......
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #46
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
It looks too much like a Corvette, its too small to be a Camaro, and the body lines and design make it look like something from the 80's, too old. Its a complete step back from the current Camaro's jump. What made this generation (5th) so successful is it looks futuristic.
The Camaro is just a Corvette that is much more liveable on a daily basis. Its got 4 seats, rides more comfortably, and is safer. Its always been higher off the ground so it can clear pretty much any road situation with ease. Look at the main complaints about the 5th gen. Its always been the visibility and the trunk space, both aspects that reduce its ease as a daily driver.
Car design is moving more towards this:

Not this:

If you handed your render to someone and told them to place it with one of the two images I posted there based off which it looks closer to in design they'll put it on the Fiero.

We all know GM has influence on this site, look at the concept that got front paged recently:

It wasn't a coincidence they front paged that, they are performing market research for free lol. Look at the new Transformers 4 Camaro too. Although its obviously a modified Gen 5 they are giving us a rough sketch of the 6th Gen. It will look similar to that front paged concept and the T4 car. Just basically take the T4 car and shrink it down. I feel like this is all in plain site or am I going crazy?

I don't think you should give up though. A "mini" Corvette/Camaro definitely would have a market based off sales of that BRZ thing Subaru made.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/20/s...-selling-cars/

Take your design and "futurise" it. The tail lights and head lights need a serious revamp, I'd start there. Take cues from all new major brands. Nowadays you need some kind of halo/led strip, something. You also need some kind of led runner on the bottom of the bumper and probably an exaggerated and aggressive grille. Cars nowadays are all moving towards more tough looking urban street fighter cars. Then take the roof line down as it would be a 2 seater.

It sucks when people don't like something you took a lot of time to make but you have to be ready for that possibility. As long as you like it you should be happy. If other people get you upset then you weren't really making it for you. I spent months building a custom bumper for my car and there were/are a LOT of people who hated it but at the end of the day I love it and that is what matters.
Too small to be a Camaro? Do you realize what the CAFE requirements are going to be doing to car design in the very near future? I don't actually like that design/render that was posted on the front page of the site. I wouldn't buy a car that looked like that. But that's just my opinion and I don't bash/trash the guy who created it just because it's not what I want to see. I encouraged him to keep going and keep developing ideas.

I'm not upset if people don't like what I'm doing; what upsets me is when they don't read the thread and make useless posts as a result. I've clearly stated what I would like people to do if they don't like what they see and you've done it. Say why; give constructive feedback as to what you'd like to see changed.

I'm quite aware of current "trends" and I've been deliberately staying away from most of them. I'm not designing a narcissist-mobile. Considering what some of these "old designs" go for in auctions nowadays I don't see being influenced by past designs as a bad thing. The 5th gen is so successful because they absolutely nailed the essence of the look and feel of a late 1960's Camaro.

I'm experimenting. These concepts literally start with a single dot in the middle of empty space. From there I add more dots and start creating shapes. I'm better at this than drawing on paper. As I gain experience with the software I'm getting faster and faster at it too.

I'll keep on experimenting. Right now I'm working on different ideas for fronts.

Here's one I did that's basically a reborn Firebird TransAm, but I'm not going to use.

Name:  2020 Concept Firebird front.jpg
Views: 6113
Size:  93.2 KB

Here's another one that's close to what I'm currently working on, but again I'm not going to use it.

Name:  2020 Camaro Concept front alt3.jpg
Views: 26324
Size:  78.1 KB

With all these experiments I'm doing things that I personally would like; not necessarily trendy or what everyone else might like. Along the way there have been some great suggestions by people contributing in these threads which I've incorporated.

There WILL BE some similarities to things in the past because that's where I grew up ( ) and also, I like some of the cars of the past. Should a songwriter stop writing because somebody already used that chord once? Should a painter not paint because somebody already used that color once? There's bound to be similarities because we still have 4 wheels, engine up front, windshield, side windows, rear window, a roof, outside mirrors, lights in the front, rear and sides, and a boat load of regulations that have to be complied with. Those are all things from the "past" and they haven't gone away. Designers have to work with all those elements today just like they did in the past, so it's not surprising there might be some similarities in designs.

I like sleek, elegant, classy, beautiful and timeless. It seems most of the muscle car crowd doesn't... they want to drive HULK SMASH. I'll keep experimenting and posting the ones I think are worth looking at. If you guys keep posting suggestions and ideas for changes, perhaps together we can come up with something that might actually help the Camaro design team with some useful ideas.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #47
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Still doesn't scream Pony car or Camaro to me but it doesn't look bad Doc keep it up though I look forward to see what tweaks and stuff u do to it
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #48
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
definitely not a bad start. The biggest issue I see for this as a Camaro concept, is the fact that it looks too short. by short, I mean length wise, front to back. should be a 2+2 car. I know the rear is not really useful to most adults, but having the little bit of room there would help with the proportion. which would obviously make the doors larger, like they are now. Also, the length of the front of the car is too short. need a longer hood. and of course might require the width of the car to be bigger.

I didn't read the thread really, but I just glimpsed at the last post, about CAFE rules. I'm not familiar with what rules they set, other than emissions, depending on the size of the vehicle.

That's just my thoughts on this concept. it doesn't really say Camaro, but more of a small sports coupe. in the line of a br-z or the same class as the other cars that were posted. which, not saying in 2020, that's what the Camaro would turn into, but if so, i'll probably be looking for another car. lol
Old 02-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #49
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Sorry man. All I said was it looked like a '95 NSX and supplied a picture. I never degraded your drawings or said they looked like big, throbbing donkey C*CK. If you're going to take the time to create 637 drawings amongst 47 different threads (like you have), learn to accept criticism and others' opinions. Again, take notice I NEVER criticized your drawing. I only compared it. Keep going with them. It's interesting and you enjoy making them.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #50
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Too small to be a Camaro? Do you realize what the CAFE requirements are going to be doing to car design in the very near future? I don't actually like that design/render that was posted on the front page of the site. I wouldn't buy a car that looked like that. But that's just my opinion and I don't bash/trash the guy who created it just because it's not what I want to see. I encouraged him to keep going and keep developing ideas.

I'm not upset if people don't like what I'm doing; what upsets me is when they don't read the thread and make useless posts as a result. I've clearly stated what I would like people to do if they don't like what they see and you've done it. Say why; give constructive feedback as to what you'd like to see changed.

I'm quite aware of current "trends" and I've been deliberately staying away from most of them. I'm not designing a narcissist-mobile. Considering what some of these "old designs" go for in auctions nowadays I don't see being influenced by past designs as a bad thing. The 5th gen is so successful because they absolutely nailed the essence of the look and feel of a late 1960's Camaro.

I'm experimenting. These concepts literally start with a single dot in the middle of empty space. From there I add more dots and start creating shapes. I'm better at this than drawing on paper. As I gain experience with the software I'm getting faster and faster at it too.

I'll keep on experimenting. Right now I'm working on different ideas for fronts.

Here's one I did that's basically a reborn Firebird TransAm, but I'm not going to use.

Attachment 597834

Here's another one that's close to what I'm currently working on, but again I'm not going to use it.

Attachment 597835

With all these experiments I'm doing things that I personally would like; not necessarily trendy or what everyone else might like. Along the way there have been some great suggestions by people contributing in these threads which I've incorporated.

There WILL BE some similarities to things in the past because that's where I grew up ( ) and also, I like some of the cars of the past. Should a songwriter stop writing because somebody already used that chord once? Should a painter not paint because somebody already used that color once? There's bound to be similarities because we still have 4 wheels, engine up front, windshield, side windows, rear window, a roof, outside mirrors, lights in the front, rear and sides, and a boat load of regulations that have to be complied with. Those are all things from the "past" and they haven't gone away. Designers have to work with all those elements today just like they did in the past, so it's not surprising there might be some similarities in designs.

I like sleek, elegant, classy, beautiful and timeless. It seems most of the muscle car crowd doesn't... they want to drive HULK SMASH. I'll keep experimenting and posting the ones I think are worth looking at. If you guys keep posting suggestions and ideas for changes, perhaps together we can come up with something that might actually help the Camaro design team with some useful ideas.
Do you realize that CAFE regulations mainly impact the bulk of what a car company sells? Hence why GM was forced to come out with cars like the Cruze and still sell thousands of 3800 pound 10 MPG V8 monsters. Cafe is calculated based off the total average of what a company sells.
So your argument against mine about size based off Cafe is moot. I'll reiterate, the Camaro cannot be a small 2 seater sports car for the reasons I previously listed.

"I'm quite aware of current "trends" and I've been deliberately staying away from most of them. I'm not designing a narcissist-mobile. Considering what some of these "old designs" go for in auctions nowadays I don't see being influenced by past designs as a bad thing. "

That is fine but then you should expect the vast majority of people to dislike your design to be a future Camaro design. Had you just said "Here is my rendering for a potential future GM sports car", you would get a somewhat better reaction. The fact is that it just doesn't work as a Camaro. If you're going to call it a Camaro then it needs to at least have the basics which it does not.

"The 5th gen is so successful because they absolutely nailed the essence of the look and feel of a late 1960's Camaro."
Yes but it doesn't look old like a 67 it looks like a 2010 catch my drift?

"With all these experiments I'm doing things that I personally would like; not necessarily trendy or what everyone else might like."

Then you really need to not get upset when people bash your design. Its a casual internet forum, you aren't always going to get back essays on what your design is. Fact is people will look at the images, not read anything, then post their opinion. If you can't deal with that, and these are as you said for you personally, why even post them?
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #51
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Do you realize that CAFE regulations mainly impact the bulk of what a car company sells? Hence why GM was forced to come out with cars like the Cruze and still sell thousands of 3800 pound 10 MPG V8 monsters. Cafe is calculated based off the total average of what a company sells.
So your argument against mine about size based off Cafe is moot. I'll reiterate, the Camaro cannot be a small 2 seater sports car for the reasons I previously listed.

CAFE standards are going to affect engines as well as MPG. MPG is a function of aerodynamic efficiency as well as vehicle weight. Smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic shapes are going to be necessary to assist in meeting those requirements. I don't think that's a moot point at all.

"I'm quite aware of current "trends" and I've been deliberately staying away from most of them. I'm not designing a narcissist-mobile. Considering what some of these "old designs" go for in auctions nowadays I don't see being influenced by past designs as a bad thing. "

That is fine but then you should expect the vast majority of people to dislike your design to be a future Camaro design. Had you just said "Here is my rendering for a potential future GM sports car", you would get a somewhat better reaction. The fact is that it just doesn't work as a Camaro. If you're going to call it a Camaro then it needs to at least have the basics which it does not.

The "basics" as you put it may change. It may not work as a Camaro for you, but for others it does. You can't please everybody no matter what. Even with the 5th gen there are people who bought a Mustang instead.

"The 5th gen is so successful because they absolutely nailed the essence of the look and feel of a late 1960's Camaro."
Yes but it doesn't look old like a 67 it looks like a 2010 catch my drift?

No, it looks like an updated version of a 1969. If you can immediately identify the "old model" it's inspired by, then it's a "retro" design. It just happens to be so well done, and that model year was so successful, that this modern rendition was successful too.

"With all these experiments I'm doing things that I personally would like; not necessarily trendy or what everyone else might like."

Then you really need to not get upset when people bash your design. Its a casual internet forum, you aren't always going to get back essays on what your design is. Fact is people will look at the images, not read anything, then post their opinion. If you can't deal with that, and these are as you said for you personally, why even post them?
I'm not upset if people bash the design. I don't expect or require everyone to like it; I've never said that. I'm not asking for essays, just a quick line or two. Make your post useful. If you're going to make the effort to post at all, especially to search for an image you think one of my versions looks like, then make the effort to be constructive.

I post these because there ARE people who are positive, constructive, and enjoy participating. And I also began after the firestorm of bashing that exploded after the 2014 refresh was revealed. I decided to try and come up with something that GM could use rather than just a bunch of negativity. So I've been leading a creative effort to encourage people to start thinking and posting constructively. Just look at your post. Isn't it more interesting and potentially useful to everyone to discuss design intelligently rather than just dismiss something? That's all I've ever asked from the very beginning of the first thread; if you want to participate great, just be positive and constructive.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #52
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Sorry man. All I said was it looked like a '95 NSX and supplied a picture. I never degraded your drawings or said they looked like big, throbbing donkey C*CK. If you're going to take the time to create 637 drawings amongst 47 different threads (like you have), learn to accept criticism and others' opinions. Again, take notice I NEVER criticized your drawing. I only compared it. Keep going with them. It's interesting and you enjoy making them.
When you post something like this:

Name:  DRK post.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  108.3 KB

It's kind of hard to take it as anything else but a put down. The phrase "end of discussion" implies that that's it; don't even bother continuing. If you have indeed read through the threads I've created which I believe are only 4 or 5, not 47, then you also should know that I "accept criticism and others' opinions" from pretty much every single image I post. It goes with the territory. If you had said "To me it looks exactly like a '95 NSX but it's interesting and keep going" you can see how that would have completely changed the way it would come across to someone reading it.

Thank you for thinking and responding this time; it makes for a MUCH better feedback post.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #53
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Not feeling it..
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #54
2SScamaro2010

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
I think I understand what you're saying. You want that angled piece at the bottom removed and the C pillar to just go all the way down to the fender?

Yea and then the top glass follow the flow of the roof line. It's your design you can do whatever you want too tho lol.
Mods: SW Retro Chambered cat back, CAI cai black, APEX scoop and ww tank, RX catch can, APEX Skip-shift Eliminator, Hurst short throw, Speeddawg knob, Kooks 1 7/8 headers high flow cats, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Livernois dyno tune, ZL1 grill and side skirts.WHP: 415 WTQ: 407
2SScamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #55
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Personally I like the c-pillar the way it is Doc. It has the right look for the rear upper fender and flows well with the back deck into the spoiler.
Attached Images

ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #56
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
I want to use this car in a Grand Theft Auto game.... press triangle and hop in....

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote