Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #155
fastvee
Banned

Drives: 2011 CTS-V, 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
Um well most good cams require a stall change on an Auto for those very reasons.
and you are going to blame drivability on something that wasn't done as recommended?

And everything you said goes out the window on a LS3 M6 anyway.
we have none of those issues.

Camming and heads is just a step to going boosted as posted above.
most people are going with blower friendly cams like the NF just in case they do go or when they go boosted they are ready.

In my case blower is already on the menu I'm doing it in stages though.
cam and heads and intake system first ( and I'm not even going to be done with the ported intake either. FAST intake will be next and a large TB).

next will be suspension in order to get that 650-700 hp to the ground.
and then next year go back to Lethal and let them boost me.
I didn't do converter because I don't want to blow out my trans bud.

Heads are a waste of money for the price for stock cubes imo. You're going to gain nearly nothing for the astronomical pricing of good heads.

Get back to me when your car is actually modded. Big difference between doing and reading someones journal.

How much money do you have to spend? Seeing how you have to wait a year to boost I doubt you have lots of cash lying around to build this car, so here is my tip:

Get some nice headers, blower cam, injectors, pump, a good tune, a supercharger and some meth. Then some suspension and gearing.

Stock block stock heads here 6xxrwhp 8psi all day long through an auto. Current build price right around $25,000. This is with full suspension, ls3 conversion, 3 sets of rims (welds 17 slick skinny, 21" summer, 20" oz supperlegerras summers) multiple tunes and labor.
fastvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #156
luckynuts

Drives: 10 ABM 1SS/00 Z28 Conv/14 SumWh 2LT
Quote:
50k-75k? um I've had drag raced heavy cammed cars last well into the 150K range with ease if taken care of.
and at that point you usually want more HP anyway so rip it out and stroke/bore or whatever.

BTW just so you know the 12 hours labor to even put on a TVS ( the easiest one to install) was just as expensive as the cam/heads/exhaust labor.
and then the supercharger itself is more expensive than everything I'm doing and will have the same amount of HP and possibly more had I just bolted a TVS on.

My long range goals are for Lethal to have the car back next year to throw a SC on it then finish the suspension for 650+ hp.
So the cam and the heads are already going to be done.

I dunno both are expensive and both end up in the same result.
but nothing draws attention even away from ZL1s than a cammed nasty SS rolling in. so a +1 just for the sound LOL.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #157
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
So, the argument is: do it right the first time or fix it later, eh?
In my opinion the point is this. What do you want? Whats your long term goal. You can stop around 500-525rwhp NA and never give really two worries to the motor. Trans and Diff should hold up well at that power and you'll be able to put it down with small suspension mods. Toe Rods/Trailing Arms and that'd do it IMO. You don't need a "Foundation" to slap a blower on either. Factory Heads on the LS3 flow so well its almost pointless to upgrade them for the marginal HP gain. You might get 20whp. I've seen ECS base kits on otherwise stock cars make 550+. But your looking at 7-8 grand installed. I did Cam/Intake/UD Pulley, Headers, Exhaust, CAI, and I made just under 500whp. As I said total cost there about 4500 so your savings are thousands of dollars to reach similar power levels (less the torque).

Say you build this foundation and you want 650+whp well its pretty dumb to get it and do nothing to the foundation(suspension) of your car. Trust me I know. Sadly I went about it this way I'm at 844 to the tire and I have minimal suspension mods. The more power I made the more apparent I needed these upgrades. Plus beyond that your looking at 9" or Hammerhead. Believe me all the things you NEED to make the power add up. Quick. So again I'll ask, how much do you want to spend?
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #158
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvee View Post

Heads are a waste of money for the price for stock cubes imo. You're going to gain nearly nothing for the astronomical pricing of good heads.

Get back to me when your car is actually modded. Big difference between doing and reading someones journal.

How much money do you have to spend? Seeing how you have to wait a year to boost I doubt you have lots of cash lying around to build this car, so here is my tip:

Get some nice headers, blower cam, injectors, pump, a good tune, a supercharger and some meth. Then some suspension and gearing.

Stock block stock heads here 6xxrwhp 8psi all day long through an auto. Current build price right around $25,000. This is with full suspension, ls3 conversion, 3 sets of rims (welds 17 slick skinny, 21" summer, 20" oz supperlegerras summers) multiple tunes and labor.
Oh please Ive been driving and modding cars for 35 years.
I have way more experience with street rods and drag cars and bikes than you think I do.

I just dropped nearly 9k on this car in less than a month. ( not to mention that 5k down payment less in that same month)
It will take a bit of time to get the savings back up.
So get over yourself.
I could at any time sell any 1 of my 6 RC helis that are all over 5k each and get a blower in days. But I plan on going slow and enjoying myself on this car.

My Car is in the VERY capable hands of Lethal they are plotting my road map for a very powerful but street friendly car.

Ive already paid for Lethal Stage 3.5 and wont be going with your plan.
I'm sorry you are a no body, what are your credentials why should I listen to you over any professional engine builder/tuner?

And I highly disagree with you on ported, milled, valve jobbed, heads being a waste of money.
and anyone that has been in this hobby for years knows the value of high flow heads that can flow over stock heads.

Enjoy your V and your surging automatic camaro.
I sure as hell will be enjoying my well planned well executed car.
530/520 SAE

Last edited by DuskSS; 03-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #159
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #160
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
In my opinion the point is this. What do you want? Whats your long term goal. You can stop around 500-525rwhp NA and never give really two worries to the motor. Trans and Diff should hold up well at that power and you'll be able to put it down with small suspension mods. Toe Rods/Trailing Arms and that'd do it IMO. You don't need a "Foundation" to slap a blower on either. Factory Heads on the LS3 flow so well its almost pointless to upgrade them for the marginal HP gain. You might get 20whp. I've seen ECS base kits on otherwise stock cars make 550+. But your looking at 7-8 grand installed. I did Cam/Intake/UD Pulley, Headers, Exhaust, CAI, and I made just under 500whp. As I said total cost there about 4500 so your savings are thousands of dollars to reach similar power levels (less the torque).

Say you build this foundation and you want 650+whp well its pretty dumb to get it and do nothing to the foundation(suspension) of your car. Trust me I know. Sadly I went about it this way I'm at 844 to the tire and I have minimal suspension mods. The more power I made the more apparent I needed these upgrades. Plus beyond that your looking at 9" or Hammerhead. Believe me all the things you NEED to make the power add up. Quick. So again I'll ask, how much do you want to spend?
I disagree on needing a hammerhead at 700-750 hp range. 1400 HP axles bushing trailing rods etc are plenty at that range.

and suspension is on the "foundation" list but so many people aren't reading.
530/520 SAE
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #161
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Why don't you chime in and let everyone know how much you spent on your maggie
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #162
VanquisherSS

Quote:
I disagree on needing a hammerhead at 700-750 hp range. 1400 HP axles bushing trailing rods etc are plenty at that range.

and suspension is on the "foundation" list but so many people aren't reading.
Well, I can respectfully disagree as well . Again I think its how you plan to drive the car. 100% street driven alright maybe some axels and some bushings you'd make it live. Put a DR on back and launch hard at the track. All I'll say is good luck to your stock diff.

Suspension and bolt-ons should be first and honestly for most thats gonna be enough
Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #163
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvee View Post

It's still going back and forth, some would say your doing it wrong, remember both of your cars are still on hyperexplosive pistons and powdered rods!

600hp is doable, just ask 429/ 430 now, stroke that biach, a 416/427 NA with some Ls7 small bore heads doable!

You have 2 modded cars and your worrying about a Trans lol. Stop it. Lol
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #164
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
Well, I can respectfully disagree as well . Again I think its how you plan to drive the car. 100% street driven alright maybe some axels and some bushings you'd make it live. Put a DR on back and launch hard at the track. All I'll say is good luck to your stock diff.

Suspension and bolt-ons should be first and honestly for most thats gonna be enough
We have plenty of local cars in that range locally none are having any issues with breaking anything even on the track.

Do the axles the traction mod in the stock rear and bushings and suspension and they are 10 second cars.

That being said mine will not be spending that much time on the track but once boosted will be on sticky tires all the time.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #165
fastvee
Banned

Quote:
Oh please Ive been driving and modding cars for 35 years.
I have way more experience with street rods and drag cars and bikes than you think I do.

I just dropped nearly 9k on this car in less than a month. ( not to mention that 5k down payment less in that same month)
It will take a bit of time to get the savings back up.
So get over yourself.
I could at any time sell any 1 of my 6 RC helis that are all over 5k each and get a blower in days. But I plan on going slow and enjoying myself on this car.

My Car is in the VERY capable hands of Lethal they are plotting my road map for a very powerful but street friendly car.

Ive already paid for Lethal Stage 3.5 and wont be going with your plan.
I'm sorry you are a no body, what are your credentials why should I listen to you over any professional engine builder/tuner?

And I highly disagree with you on ported, milled, valve jobbed, heads being a waste of money.
and anyone that has been in this hobby for years knows the value of high flow heads that can flow over stock heads.

Enjoy your V and your surging automatic camaro.
I sure as hell will be enjoying my well planned well executed car.

Hahahahahaha why so mad?

Sell an RC heli lol ??

I wasn't saying your poor bro, calm down. I was giving you some advice on how to mod seeing that financially I doubt you can spend 30k in one go. In the last two months I have spent upwards of 125k on 2 cars and modding. I'm a nobody, I have no credentials, but I don't throw my money away so I think I'm somewhat educated in this aspect seeing how I have spent a pretty big sum of money on cars in just the past month or so. I understand shops are good to work with but at end of day they are a business. You need to read up yourself and be educated so you know what's going on, not just throw 15k at a shop and tell them to do wonders.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #166
fastvee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
It's still going back and forth, some would say your doing it wrong, remember both of your cars are still on hyperexplosive pistons and powdered rods!

600hp is doable, just ask 429/ 430 now, stroke that biach, a 416/427 NA with some Ls7 small bore heads doable!

You have 2 modded cars and your worrying about a Trans lol. Stop it. Lol
lol I also have 2 badass trucks

I just don't want to go through the headache of blowing a trans then having to do this and that. I work a lot and sadly don't get much time for my cars anymore but I'm also extremely selective and protective of them. I don't let anybody touch them... Any tow truck take them. Anyone get in them, work on them etc.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #167
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Oh boy!!

All wrong!

2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #168
fastvee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Oh boy!!

All wrong!

Forgot to mention where mentioning street ra.... will get you insta banned, where people who go over the speed limit kill vans full of kids and where people who have stock cars try to tell modded car owners how to mod!

Oh ya and where high hp cars run 12s.