Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
preperation for trade in

I have a few paint dings and scratches

some believe that the trade in value won't be affected much by this

It would take about $1200 to bring my 2SS back to pristine shape. Should I spend the money before I request a trade value?
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Nope.....leave it alone unless any blemish is a dent bigger than a quarter.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Nope.....leave it alone unless any blemish is a dent bigger than a quarter.....
This...
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
I have a few paint dings and scratches

some believe that the trade in value won't be affected much by this

It would take about $1200 to bring my 2SS back to pristine shape. Should I spend the money before I request a trade value?
If you don't mind my asking, what is your reasoning for trading in the car so soon?
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Mityguy

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue Camaro 1SS/1LE
Wouldn't bother fixing that kind of stuff... The dealer who buys will likely over look a lot of stuff and he/she can get is repaired for way cheaper than you could even dream of.
Mityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mityguy View Post
Wouldn't bother fixing that kind of stuff... The dealer who buys will likely over look a lot of stuff and he/she can get is repaired for way cheaper than you could even dream of.
But you can be 100% sure it will be reflected in the trade in offer and the dealer will use the condition of an almost new car as a bargaining tool. Either way you are going to take a bath on that car.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Just taking it in all nice and shiny will raise their offer significantly.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
VCSRT

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
It can help as its shows that you potentially cared for it, but they punch your vin into an appraisal system which will show them exactly what the same type of features/car is going for at auction; unless you have a rare model of car, or a car the GM wants on his lot don't expect more than the KBB trade value.
VCSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCSRT View Post
It can help as its shows that you potentially cared for it, but they punch your vin into an appraisal system which will show them exactly what the same type of features/car is going for at auction; unless you have a rare model of car, or a car the GM wants on his lot don't expect more than the KBB trade value.
Most dealers don't use KBB. They use NADA (National Auto Dealer Association) and you CAN get a few hundred over that by bringing the car in all nice and shiny. I have taken the same car to the same dealer before and after detailing it in the past. I saw nearly $400 difference in trade in offer. <disclaimer>
There were a few days between and I talked to different salesmen. And I don't know who the appraisers were.

Life after retirement
Old 11-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
This is exactly my I'm getting my 2012 professionally detailed before I trade it in on Friday. That $150 could potentially get me a better offer so well worth it in my mind.
FNxR3DNECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
VCSRT

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Most dealers don't use KBB. They use NADA (National Auto Dealer Association) and you CAN get a few hundred over that by bringing the car in all nice and shiny. I have taken the same car to the same dealer before and after detailing it in the past. I saw nearly $400 difference in trade in offer. <disclaimer>
There were a few days between and I talked to different salesmen. And I don't know who the appraisers were.
KBB values are more usually. Like I said, they punch your car into the system and viola. They all will give you more the second or third go around, try it, go pretend to buy a car, say no and wait for them to call you, it's like magic. You don't even have to clay bar and polish your ride!
VCSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #12
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCSRT View Post
KBB values are more usually. Like I said, they punch your car into the system and viola. They all will give you more the second or third go around, try it, go pretend to buy a car, say no and wait for them to call you, it's like magic. You don't even have to clay bar and polish your ride!
That is the strategy I use when I DO buy a car. I NEVER buy it the day I drive it. I always say "not good enough" and go home. I wait until at least the third call before I go back. It is amazing the deals you can get when they think you might go shop around.

Life after retirement
Old 11-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #13
MovieGuy

Quote:
That is the strategy I use when I DO buy a car. I NEVER buy it the day I drive it. I always say "not good enough" and go home. I wait until at least the third call before I go back. It is amazing the deals you can get when they think you might go shop around.
When I bought this car the price dropped another $1500 by noon the next day. And all I did was sit around the house answering their calls.

Life after retirement
Old 11-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #14
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
This is exactly my I'm getting my 2012 professionally detailed before I trade it in on Friday. That $150 could potentially get me a better offer so well worth it in my mind.
Had my '14 detailed.. trade in at the next dealer went up 1K from the previous dealer.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote