Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 02-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #127
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsincaat View Post
I don't think that has anything to do with age, you can take care and thought when doing something at just about any age.

On the other hand, none of us can say we we won't ever make a (possibly life threatening) mistake or get into an accident, there is always the chance of human error.
Insurance statistics would beg to differ. You can't take care of something you have no experience with. Starting out a youth, with a 455 HP car is a disaster waiting to happen, statistically speaking.

Second statement, insurance statistics beg to differ. A mature man with a professional job is far far far less likely to get into an accident. Extrapolation to the extreme just proves the my point. The 99.9999% is on the side of statistics, I leave the won't or can't happen to God. Outside the divine, it is stats and the stats are stacked against a 17 year old male with a 455 HP car.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:03 AM   #128
EricTheCamaroGuy

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Insurance statistics would beg to differ. You can't take care of something you have no experience with. Starting out a youth, with a 455 HP car is a disaster waiting to happen, statistically speaking.

Second statement, insurance statistics beg to differ. A mature man with a professional job is far far far less likely to get into an accident. Extrapolation to the extreme just proves the my point. The 99.9999% is on the side of statistics, I leave the won't or can't happen to God. Outside the divine, it is stats and the stats are stacked against a 17 year old male with a 455 HP car.
Although young males have a higher insurance cost, I have never gotten into one accident with my car, but it STILL IS possible. I could also end up making an improper shift with my 6 speed manual transmission, and it is an increased risk for cars with stick shifts to stall more often.
EricTheCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #129
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheCamaroGuy View Post
The 17 year old with the 2SS is me, and I am paying for half of it, my parents are paying the other half. I just got a new phone and I'm paying for a car, I have no idea how that goes. I actually worked with my uncle to get the Camaro and I signed all the papers, but we made my parents pay half of it because they can't manage my little sister who won't shut the hell up.
I'd have loved a Camaro at 17. However I would also probably be dead if I had gotten one. My first vehicle was a 1995 Silverado 1500 Diesel. That thing was slow and I still managed to speed everywhere in it.

Congrats on the Camaro. Stay safe out there.

oldman has a point with statistics but I know plenty of guys who had fast cars when I was younger and they're just fine. (If I'd had one, I'd have once again probably been a part of those statistics.) Younger people are generally more stupid when it comes to driving and think they know what they're doing and know their limits when they don't. This isn't all of them though. Technically old people have terrible driving statistics too though. IJS. lol.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #130
EricTheCamaroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
I'd have loved a Camaro at 17. However I would also probably be dead if I had gotten one. My first vehicle was a 1995 Silverado 1500 Diesel. That thing was slow and I still managed to speed everywhere in it.

Congrats on the Camaro. Stay safe out there.

oldman has a point with statistics but I know plenty of guys who had fast cars when I was younger and they're just fine. (If I'd had one, I'd have once again probably been a part of those statistics.) Younger people are generally more stupid when it comes to driving and think they know what they're doing and know their limits when they don't. This isn't all of them though. Technically old people have terrible driving statistics too though. IJS. lol.
You got a point, and so does oldman. I have been obsessed with Camaros my whole life, and they are so awesome. My cousin used to be obsessed with Hondas and used to own a Civic, but now he has an S3 and is all Audi obsessed. I tend not to be one of those stupid guys who speeds and gets themselves killed, and 455 horsepower is enough for me. Most likely in the future once I want a new car, I will probably get a less powerful Camaro. I am not doing it any time soon, but that is a predicament of the beyond future.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #131
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
EricTheCamaroGuy is OK in my book. Handles criticism like a much more mature person than I was at 17.

Well, I did some shopping the past few days and I think I'm gonna wait for a used one. I had my check book in hand to buy a Hyper Blue 2SS on Saturday. We came down to about $2500 apart on my trade in (370Z). Went by Carmax to see what the cash buy amount would be from them and while waiting we looked at some Camaros they had on the lot just to pass the time. They had several 2015 models fully decked out for right at $30K. This tells me that unfortunately these new performance cars depreciate at a rate of about $1000 a month for the first year. Same with the Challenger as they had a VERY nice 2015 SRT Challenger with all the goodies for about $10K off MSRP with only 3,000 miles on the clock.

This time next year I'll have one and save 10 grand if all goes to plan.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #132
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
EricTheCamaroGuy is OK in my book. Handles criticism like a much more mature person than I was at 17.

Well, I did some shopping the past few days and I think I'm gonna wait for a used one. I had my check book in hand to buy a Hyper Blue 2SS on Saturday. We came down to about $2500 apart on my trade in (370Z). Went by Carmax to see what the cash buy amount would be from them and while waiting we looked at some Camaros they had on the lot just to pass the time. They had several 2015 models fully decked out for right at $30K. This tells me that unfortunately these new performance cars depreciate at a rate of about $1000 a month for the first year. Same with the Challenger as they had a VERY nice 2015 SRT Challenger with all the goodies for about $10K off MSRP with only 3,000 miles on the clock.

Don't forget, generation change over is major and won't help value.
But regardless there is sizeable drop on any of these cars in that first year.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #133
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Yes, I did take that in to consideration. The Challenger went through a similar remodel as well. Seems that first year is the doosey on deprec. It levels off quickly after that. It's been 7 yeas since I bought a brand new car, which was my Challenger. I had forgotten about that first year. Got my 370Z and Genesis Coupe Track Edition for half price of a new one and both had under 10K miles on them when I bought in. Shoulda had my head on straight, or the dealer shoulda taken my money on Saturday LOL

Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #134
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post

The Challenger and Civic SI were two "performance" cars listing high resale.
My 2009 Challenger V6 sold for just over 20K, I sold it after 7 years for 14 K, that is less than $1000 a year. My 2015 Civic SI just over 21K out the door last year, I sold it for 20K. Say $1000 a year.

KBB says the 2016 camaro will have the best retail: http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-res...rformance-car/

My 2016 SS is 35.3K out the door, I figure in 5 years I'd get 25K. 2K a year. Sure if you going for every option the depreciation is going to be higher. Nav and sunroof and glowing bow ties don't add to resale.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #135
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
your youth prevents you from making that statement.
I've been driving performance V8s since I got my license. Age doesn't indicate responsibility. I've seen plenty of old guys driving like assholes too.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #136
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
The Challenger and Civic SI were two "performance" cars listing high resale.
My 2009 Challenger V6 sold for just over 20K, I sold it after 7 years for 14 K, that is less than $1000 a year. My 2015 Civic SI just over 21K out the door last year, I sold it for 20K. Say $1000 a year.

KBB says the 2016 camaro will have the best retail: http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-res...rformance-car/

My 2016 SS is 35.3K out the door, I figure in 5 years I'd get 25K. 2K a year. Sure if you going for every option the depreciation is going to be higher. Nav and sunroof and glowing bow ties don't add to resale.
I think we'll find the biggest depreciation percentage is in that first year. Carmax had 2014 Camaros similarly optioned to the 2015 and they were only $1000 - $1500 less, which shows that bulk of that depreciation happens in the first year.

I think the higher priced the car is originally the more it depreciates the majority of the time. Depends on the car as well. My parents recently bought a brand new Ford Escape and unbelievably a brand new one was within $1000 of a used one a year or two old.

These 2016 Camaros will likely sell like hot cakes, especially as the weather improves. Folks will buy them that can't afford the payments and Carmax will likely have plenty to choose from this time next year. If Chevy had done the re-design last year I'd have walked out with that 2015 I saw, but I was never a fan of the previous generation. That SRT Challenger is calling my name, but I already got one and don't want two of the same car LOL

Here's one in red:

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page

Here's one in black - this one is 20 minutes from me.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page

Those both MSRP for over $53K.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #137
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I've been driving performance V8s since I got my license. Age doesn't indicate responsibility. I've seen plenty of old guys driving like assholes too.
You probably were not driving manual 455 HP V8s. I'm not talking behavior, I'm talking experience which is build on over a period of time. It is one thing learning on a 205 HP 5.0 Mustang vs a 455 HP manual.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #138
EricTheCamaroGuy

Quote:
You probably were not driving manual 455 HP V8s. I'm not talking behavior, I'm talking experience which is build on over a period of time. It is one thing learning on a 205 HP 5.0 Mustang vs a 455 HP manual.
Your statistics are very fascinating
Old 02-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #139
oldman

and my 7 years experience owning building and driving a Challenger is even more fascinating. You know the topic at hand...
Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #140
ISHLISS
Chevy & Ford Enthusiast

Drives: '21 Camaro LT1
Quote:
I used to daily a 420whp Heads/Cam 6 speed 4th gen when I was 18.. lol even in the rain/snow and I never put a scratch on it.
ISHLISS is offline   Reply With Quote