Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #29
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post

2) A V8 model only costs $3-5,000 more than a comparably equipped V6 model, depending on options. People are getting 2SS models with MRC and NPP in the $38-40k range right now. A 2LT V6 equipped the same way is in the $33-35k range. If you can truly afford a V6, the V8 is very likely in your budget, too.
This is the only statement I disagree with here. I paid $26000 for my car. At best a barebones V8 would have run me $35000. Believe me that was NOT within my budget. For that matter just another 3 grand would be another $51 a month and that would stretch things too far for my comfort. Again it boils down to what you can COMFORTABLY afford. My base Camaro with a V6 kept me in my comfort zone. And it is a spectacular car that I am quite proud of.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #30
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
This is the only statement I disagree with here. I paid $26000 for my car. At best a barebones V8 would have run me $35000. Believe me that was NOT within my budget. For that matter just another 3 grand would be another $51 a month and that would stretch things too far for my comfort. Again it boils down to what you can COMFORTABLY afford. My base Camaro with a V6 kept me in my comfort zone. And it is a spectacular car that I am quite proud of.
I would disagree with your implication that a barebones 1LT is comparable to a barebones 1SS, although I do see where you are coming from. The comparison only works when comparing a 2LT to a 2SS, which is what I did for myself.

Some of the things standard on the 1SS are options even on a 2LT, and not available at all on a 1LT.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #31
MovieGuy

Quote:
I would disagree with your implication that a barebones 1LT is comparable to a barebones 1SS, although I do see where you are coming from. The comparison only works when comparing a 2LT to a 2SS, which is what I did for myself.

Some of the things standard on the 1SS are options even on a 2LT, and not available at all on a 1LT.
I never said a barebones 1LT is comperable to a barebones 1SS. I am not sure how you got that. I said the price difference between the two is prohibitive. Or rather prohibitive to ME who was staying within my comfort zone. In other words, not everybody who can afford a V6 can afford to go ahead and upgrade to a V8

Life after retirement
Old 09-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #32
mt3130

Quote:
2) A V8 model only costs $3-5,000 more than a comparably equipped V6 model, depending on options.
This is where I got it from. By disagreeing with me, you are implying that a comparably equipped V6 is not $3-5,000 more than a comparably equipped V8, which is why I said that a barebones 1LT is not comparably equipped to a barebones 1SS, in my opinion.

If you also don't think the the 1LT and 1SS are comparably equipped, then we aren't even talking about the same thing, and don't really disagree lol. It sounds like you made the right choice for your situation.

Coming to this site often makes me realize just how bad I can be at explaining my point, and that people often draw very different conclusions from the same information. It also reinforces the old saying that your perception is my reality, and I find that learning to communicate with people on here helps with my real world interactions.

Last edited by mt3130; 09-15-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #33
Rsblueblood
Kywildcats

Drives: 2020 2SS shock and steel (shocker)
Quote:
I was initally considering a V6, but I'm only inclined to buy a V8 at this point for the following reasons:

1) Fuel economy is nearly the same (17/28 for the V8, 19/28 for the V6). I drive mostly highway, so that closes the gap even further. The only real difference in fuel cost is buy premium vs. regular.

2) A V8 model only costs $3-5,000 more than a comparably equipped V6 model, depending on options. People are getting 2SS models with MRC and NPP in the $38-40k range right now. A 2LT V6 equipped the same way is in the $33-35k range. If you can truly afford a V6, the V8 is very likely in your budget, too.

3) I like the front end of the V8 better, but that's my personal opinion.
Well I disagree with number 1 they are not close in hwy miles. I'm averaging 35 to 37 all the time on the hwy now city different story maybe 24. I can see if the v8 was staying in v4 all the time get 30 hwy but who would do that.
I will agree with you on number 2 they are very close right now and if I was in the hunt I would grab a 1ss.
Rsblueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #34
mt3130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsblueblood View Post
Well I disagree with number 1 they are not close in hwy miles. I'm averaging 35 to 37 all the time on the hwy now city different story maybe 24. I can see if the v8 was staying in v4 all the time get 30 hwy but who would do that.
I will agree with you on number 2 they are very close right now and if I was in the hunt I would grab a 1ss.
Thanks for the input. My post turned out to be more of a conversation starter than I anticipated.

The EPA rates both engines the same for highway mileage, and there are quite a few V8 owners raving about highway mileage, well over 30 mpg, just as you have stated is the case for your V6. For me, the estimated difference in fuel costs was only about $20 per month, so I considered that a wash. That's one less lunch per month, or two days of eating at cheaper places per month, so it didn't factor into my decision making process at all.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #35
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
A 6 can be plenty entertaining & satisfying. It's a great car & engine for sure. As far as cost of ownership, besides the obvious differences in premium fuel, I suspect we V8 owners will wear those expensive tires out much faster, the 10 quart oil changes are costly, yea there is likely insurance cost differences, etc.

But I had to have the 2SS. It's a refined muscle car & comparing it to the competition, it stands out (& I've been lucky enough to have a few muscle cars in my time). I realized I can't realistically reach the C7 I wanted financially. This drives much like the Stingray & remains a bad ass car that I can't wait for my next drive. I too don't race, but there is nothing like having that massive torque band...

OP you can't go wrong if you find the 6 satisfies your every need, & remember a car like this is an emotional decision as well. Will you have any regrets if you get the 6 & will you be one who does & soon trades it in & takes that hit?
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #36
JP94LI

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (MRC, NPP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexss2010 View Post
So I totaled my vehicle in oct 2015 and was planning on getting a new vehicle spring of 16 but I could not decide to fork up the extra $$ for the V8 or go with the v6. So decided to drive my winter beater till I decided which direction I was going to go..Well its sept in good ole wisconsin , so right now its pointless to buy one till after winter..My question is...a used 16 ss goes for 32-34k where a used V6 are going for 22-24k..Is it really worth the extra 10k?? I don't plan on racing or anything..I used to own a 2010 camaro ss and loved the power but have heard the V6 is actually very powerful as well...HELPP!!??
i would advise seeing how much the extra $10k will increase your payment and see if it's worth paying that extra amount to you.

I have the V8, but the V6 is by no means a bad car, i've read reviews on it and gone are the days of a V6 being the slow version of a car. Yes it's not as fast as the V8 but if you aren't planning on driving aggressively or racing around, then the V6 has more than enough power for everyday driving, you'll still beat 370z's and other ricer cars at red light races, and you'll save in gas mileage over the V8 version.

I would recommend test driving both thoroughly (dont let them rush you) and then decide which makes more sense for you.

either way you'll have a sick car!
JP94LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #37
mt3130

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
A 6 can be plenty entertaining & satisfying. It's a great car & engine for sure. As far as cost of ownership, besides the obvious differences in premium fuel, I suspect we V8 owners will wear those expensive tires out much faster, the 10 quart oil changes are costly, yea there is likely insurance cost differences, etc.

But I had to have the 2SS. It's a refined muscle car & comparing it to the competition, it stands out (& I've been lucky enough to have a few muscle cars in my time). I realized I can't realistically reach the C7 I wanted financially. This drives much like the Stingray & remains a bad ass car that I can't wait for my next drive. I too don't race, but there is nothing like having that massive torque band...

OP you can't go wrong if you find the 6 satisfies your every need, & remember a car like this is an emotional decision as well. Will you have any regrets if you get the 6 & will you be one who does & soon trades it in & takes that hit?
Very true. The other costs associated with owning the V8 are higher than those of the V6.

I considered a C7, but I can't see out of the damn thing. My line of sight is above the roofline inside the cabin, so I see headliner when I look straight ahead. Being the first car at a stop light was a nightmare during my test drive. I was disappointed because the C7 is such a great car, but having my head and neck tilted down all the time would probably cause neck stiffness for me, considering I drive 1.5-2 hours per day.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #38
MovieGuy

Quote:
This is where I got it from. By disagreeing with me, you are implying that a comparably equipped V6 is not $3-5,000 more than a comparably equipped V8, which is why I said that a barebones 1LT is not comparably equipped to a barebones 1SS, in my opinion.

If you also don't think the the 1LT and 1SS are comparably equipped, then we aren't even talking about the same thing, and don't really disagree lol. It sounds like you made the right choice for your situation.

Coming to this site often makes me realize just how bad I can be at explaining my point, and that people often draw very different conclusions from the same information. It also reinforces the old saying that your perception is my reality, and I find that learning to communicate with people on here helps with my real world interactions.
Definitely a misunderstanding here. I was referring to cost only. At my 2.2% financing that I got every thousand dollars adds $17 to my payment. 3 thousand dollars would add $51 to my payment. I am sure I am not the only person who would find this prohibitive. That was where I disagreed with the part where you said "if you can afford a V6 you can afford a V8.

Also I don't believe my 1 LT and a 1 SS are comparably equipped. But for me $9,000 is cost prohibitive.

My entire point was there are those of us who simply can't afford a V8. And for those of us who can't, the V6 is a great car. I can't speak for the T4 one way or the other as I have never driven one.

I got my driver's license in 1972. I come from the classic muscle car era. With that in mind I compare today's Camaro with the T4 to a Camaro with a high performance 327 back in the day, to me the V6 is like a high performance 350 back in the day, and the V8 is like someone bought a Camaro with a 455 and modified the heck out of it.

Life after retirement
Old 09-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #39
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP94LI View Post
i would advise seeing how much the extra $10k will increase your payment and see if it's worth paying that extra amount to you.

I have the V8, but the V6 is by no means a bad car, i've read reviews on it and gone are the days of a V6 being the slow version of a car. Yes it's not as fast as the V8 but if you aren't planning on driving aggressively or racing around, then the V6 has more than enough power for everyday driving, you'll still beat 370z's and other ricer cars at red light races, and you'll save in gas mileage over the V8 version.

I would recommend test driving both thoroughly (dont let them rush you) and then decide which makes more sense for you.

either way you'll have a sick car!
10K will raise a payment by $170 to $200 on a 6 year loan depending on interest rate.

Life after retirement
Old 09-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #40
MovieGuy

Quote:
Thanks for the input. My post turned out to be more of a conversation starter than I anticipated.

The EPA rates both engines the same for highway mileage, and there are quite a few V8 owners raving about highway mileage, well over 30 mpg, just as you have stated is the case for your V6. For me, the estimated difference in fuel costs was only about $20 per month, so I considered that a wash. That's one less lunch per month, or two days of eating at cheaper places per month, so it didn't factor into my decision making process at all.
You will find you get unbelievable mileage out of any thread you start here

Life after retirement
Old 09-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #41
Bodyslide

Drives: Traded in 2016 BLUE VELVET 2LT RS
I am a Camaro neebie. So I have never owned one but always loved the car. I am getting one of the V6 models. For me that is enough this time. Maybe for the next generation model I will go up to the V8 one.
Bodyslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #42
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Don't forget to calculate insurance, maintenance (as in more expensive wear parts, brakes, tires, etc.) into the equation.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote