Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
livvy26

Drives: 2012 rs
2012 Blown Engine

Almost got killed Friday. My 2012 Camaro's engine without warning blew up as I was driving. Sounded like I hit a homeless man with 2000 cans, then the car violently shook, the odometer floored and the car dropped dead in the road. Chevy called to tell me it was a piston that exploded causing huge damage to the engine that now has to be completely replaced. This is the second problem I have had with this car since I bought it new April of last year. The first was with the on star system, which they had to replace the computer for. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am terrified to ever drive this car again, and even more terrified to let my daughter drive it, but don't know if I have any options. I feel like Chevy should buy the car back or give me a new one. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
livvy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
When you see blown engine two things run through your mind. Unfortunately yours was not the fire breathing Montserrat I was hoping for. That is horribly unfortunate

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
A new engine will make things all better. I sure wish my OnStar would go "blewie".

So did OnStar diagnostics know your piston blew and actually contact you?

My neighbor had her brakes go out once and it took her a year to ever drive again, but she is back at it. Time heals all.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Sorry to hear that but what does the "odometer floored" mean? We're you just cruising along when this happened? You change the oil when needed? Oil pump fail?
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by livvy26 View Post
Almost got killed Friday. My 2012 Camaro's engine without warning blew up as I was driving. Sounded like I hit a homeless man with 2000 cans, then the car violently shook, the odometer floored and the car dropped dead in the road. Chevy called to tell me it was a piston that exploded causing huge damage to the engine that now has to be completely replaced. This is the second problem I have had with this car since I bought it new April of last year. The first was with the on star system, which they had to replace the computer for. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am terrified to ever drive this car again, and even more terrified to let my daughter drive it, but don't know if I have any options. I feel like Chevy should buy the car back or give me a new one. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm sure if it's under warranty they'll replace the engine. Why would you be terrified to drive the car again?
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
1ST post on a website is about an engine blowing. Seems legit.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Tbar

Drives: Silver 2012 LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
1ST post on a website is about an engine blowing. Seems legit.
My first thought too.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Wilsonation

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
My first thought too.
x3
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
if its under warranty, get a new engine and drive on.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Almost got killed Friday. My 2012 Camaro's engine without warning blew up as I was driving. Sounded like I hit a homeless man with 2000 cans, then the car violently shook, the odometer floored and the car dropped dead in the road.

At what point did you almost get killed? I've "blown up" many an engine.. I've thrown rods out of the side of blocks, broke cams in 4 spots, Hydro-locked a 461ci BigBlock Chevy at 6700rpm when an intake valve broke and popped a hole in the head (filling other cyl's with coolant, thereby blowing the cylinder walls out)... Never have I come close to dying.

Oh wait, I've even shorted the positive terminal of a battery to the bottom of a dune buggy gas tank and started a huge fire fed by the gas in the tank, ran off for 10mins to get a fire extinguisher, and came back while the cells in the battery were exploding (while the gas tank continued to sit in flames as it was feeding the fire) then put the fire out, and pushed it away as the fire department was coming down the road... didn't come close to dying in any of these events.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I hate it when the engine does that...At least it could give you a warning before it blows...Yeah, I'd be pissed and probably never drive it again.

Oh, BTW, Welcome to C5....Nice first post!
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Is it a V6 or V8?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Just curious, which engine do you have? How many miles on it? How did this almost kill you? And what's a floored odometer? You profile says "RS", so I'm assuming it's a V6. I've heard of some V6s using oil and some timing chain failures, but never an exploded piston. I'd say it was a freak failure. Look at the bright side. It's destroyed to the point that you're going to get a whole new engine. There's much less chance that a dealer will screw up a new engine. Why would you be terrified to drive it after it gets a new engine? You've already got your one-in-a-million failure out of the way. You should be good to go now. Chevy's not going to buy the car back over a engine failure. That's why they gave you a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty in the first place. The only way they will buy it back, is if your state has a lemon law, but I don't think that two unrelated failures in a year and a half will qualify you for a buyback in any state.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie454 View Post
At what point did you almost get killed? I've "blown up" many an engine.. I've thrown rods out of the side of blocks, broke cams in 4 spots, Hydro-locked a 461ci BigBlock Chevy at 6700rpm when an intake valve broke and popped a hole in the head (filling other cyl's with coolant, thereby blowing the cylinder walls out)... Never have I come close to dying.

Oh wait, I've even shorted the positive terminal of a battery to the bottom of a dune buggy gas tank and started a huge fire fed by the gas in the tank, ran off for 10mins to get a fire extinguisher, and came back while the cells in the battery were exploding (while the gas tank continued to sit in flames as it was feeding the fire) then put the fire out, and pushed it away as the fire department was coming down the road... didn't come close to dying in any of these events.
mental note, do NOT ride with dookie454.

Sorry to her OP, but get it fixed and keep on motoring.
hrpiii is online now   Reply With Quote