Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #43
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Wider is better, it's never going to hurt (To an extent, let's not go crazy here). But "Good luck with a 285 and 315" doesn't seem to imply you want wider, as both are already wider than the OEM sizes.
Kinda depends.

If you are talking about cold traction, then yes - the more surface area that you have the better. And, "cold traction" = pretty much ALL street driving.

But, if you are talking track/autox, then not really. It's better to have a 245 street-legal compound at temp (205-215*F) than 315s at 150*.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #44
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
I’ll be looking for a set of all season tires for my new ZL1 A-10 (assuming it ever gets here) when the Goodyear’s begin showing significant wear. That assumes someone (like Michelin) makes the stock size and stock speed rating at that time.

Both my wife and I will be using the new car as a daily driver.Where we live there is often very heavy rain and the roads are covered in water.Hydroplaning is a big issue for us, and I suffered through the Goodyear’s propensity for hydroplane on my 1LE.The new Goodyear’s on the ZL1 may be better, we will see.

That being said, I fully expect to need another set of appropriate tires/wheels should I decide to track the car.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #45
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I’ll be looking for a set of all season tires for my new ZL1 A-10 (assuming it ever gets here) when the Goodyear’s begin showing significant wear. That assumes someone (like Michelin) makes the stock size and stock speed rating at that time.

Both my wife and I will be using the new car as a daily driver.Where we live there is often very heavy rain and the roads are covered in water.Hydroplaning is a big issue for us, and I suffered through the Goodyear’s propensity for hydroplane on my 1LE.The new Goodyear’s on the ZL1 may be better, we will see.

That being said, I fully expect to need another set of appropriate tires/wheels should I decide to track the car.
I loved the MPSSs for that type of weather. We don't get snow but cold and rain. They were better than the stock GYs for cold traction and not picking up objects. They protect the wheels better too.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #46
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I loved the MPSSs for that type of weather. We don't get snow but cold and rain. They were better than the stock GYs for cold traction and not picking up objects. They protect the wheels better too.
Completely agree, the MPSS's is what I switched to. That picking up grit/objects comment is right on!
Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #47
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
In my opinion, my experience, and from research. the Michelins. Track is out of the question. Street only. 10 x3=30. 15x2=30. Even if it's not the same performance better treadlife may be worth a small performance loss. Again street only. All depends on what you're doing with the car.
OK, now we're on the same page. "Performance" can mean different things to different people. On the street its pretty tough to get enough heat in the GY's to feel their potential. At least the G2's. But on the track they are phenomenal. Performance to me is corner grip. And you just aren't going to get. Better track tire with longer tread wear than these new G3's assuming they're improved over the G2,which I absolutely love at the the track.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #48
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Nothing wrong with OEM tires but when they go bald in 10-15k miles you might want something that lasts twice to three times as long with same or better performance.
Wow! 10K-15K miles. I never got more than 8K with my Michelin Pilot Sport Cups or Pilot Sport Cup 2's (different car, heavy foot). I would love to get Bridgestone Potenza RE-71 as a separate set for AutoX if I can get sizes that fit.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #49
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
Wow! 10K-15K miles. I never got more than 8K with my Michelin Pilot Sport Cups or Pilot Sport Cup 2's (different car, heavy foot). I would love to get Bridgestone Potenza RE-71 as a separate set for AutoX if I can get sizes that fit.
MPSS and MPSC are not the same. SCs are right at the mileage you get.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #50
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
There is a lot of talk in here from people with no experience swapping tires on ZL1s and the like.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #51
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Good luck with the tires sizes of thr R888...

only 285 and 315....

I've been running GY's for the past 3 yrs worth of track days. I'm going to try the MPSS next and see how they respond at the track.
They will get greasy after a few laps. The Goodyear is a much better track tire.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #52
zeeb

Drives: 2014 ZL1, AGM, M6
Quote:
220 Treadwear for the goodyears. 300+ on these new sport 4S'. No track for me. Street only.
To my knowledge, tread wear ratings are only accurate when comparing tires made by the same manufacturer.

...A michelin with a rating of 400 lasts twice as long as a Michelin with a rating of 200. But this won't necessarily be true when comparing to say a Goodyear.
zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #53
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
10-15k at best
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #54
Evolvedx27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeb View Post
To my knowledge, tread wear ratings are only accurate when comparing tires made by the same manufacturer.

...A michelin with a rating of 400 lasts twice as long as a Michelin with a rating of 200. But this won't necessarily be true when comparing to say a Goodyear.
Somewhat correct. Be careful of the absolute "only"
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #55
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeb View Post

I tend to view tread ware ratings as a performance index, not really a how long will it last rating. A tire rated at 200 tread wear has an expectation of being soft and providing good traction thus wearing out quicker. A tire rated at 400 is much harder and probably has no business on a fast car to begin with.

In the world of a track rat, the ratings play out in performance, and there is some level of consistency between manufacturers IE one tire rated at 200 is going to perform within reason how another will. Again within reason.

There are other things that have an effect. A tire with a tread rating of 100 for autocross, has a different heat build up rate than one designed for road course, and although they have the same rating they are designed for different applications. That is the one area that you might find tread wear ratings don't apply to well. Those two tires don't interchange application very well although the rating can be the same.

The other area is how they handle heat, and the optimum design temperature. This is an area where the stock goodyears have some issues, both good and bad. They need heat to work well, and no amount of street driving will get them up to the proper operating temp. They need a few progressive laps at the track to come up to temp. Good at the track, or on the road if you warm them up. Bad if your leaving cars and coffee on a cool sunday morning and decide to show off with TC turned off.
In this area you may find that different tires with the same rating may have some different qualities at temperature IE a 200 TW rating that lasts a few laps and goes off, or one that last the whole session. But in general any manufacturer that you get a 200 TW rated tire, you expect a certain level of traction.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #56
zl1_tommy

I am using the 315/30/20 Toyo R888s. They are amazing.
zl1_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote