Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #57
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
Would it be heresy to have a performance option somewhere between the V6 and V8?

I'd rather have a TTV6 for $28k than a 2LT with a damn moonroof.
A 327CI or 350CI V8, tuned slightly more powerful than the V6 would be a better option. Tuned to 350HP/350TQ and set as an upgrade to the V6 (could still use many of the same sub components). Wouldn't be powerful enough to threaten sales of the SS but should be enough of an upgrade to swing some V6 buyers to spend an extra $1500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
I've seen no official mpg for the TT-V6 but I see no reason to believe it has better fuel enconomy. It's existence is due to the fact they could not squeeze the LT1 or LT4 in the ATS I bet.
Alpha is package protected for the gen V V8. The choice to use the 3.6TT in the ATS-V was more for marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
So according to autocar the TTV6 is still a possibility. Goes back to what I said earlier. A T4 base engine. A TTV6 middle engine detuned to the 375-400 hp range. And a 450 hp V8. Sounds like a nice selection. Until the Z cars are released atleast. That leaves the LT4 for the ZL1. And hopefully a new LS7 replacement down the road for the next Z/28.

Which leads me to my next question. What is Wixom doing these days? With the end of the handbuilt LS motors, what are they up to?
Build cost of the 3.6TT makes that a difficult proposition.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe there needs to be an engine option between the 330ish HP V6 and 450 LT1. I just don't think the 3.6TT is the right way to get there.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #58
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There's a difference between saying he will fight for every cylinder and saying there will not be a 4 cylinder turbo.

Exactly.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #59
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
So according to autocar the TTV6 is still a possibility. Goes back to what I said earlier. A T4 base engine. A TTV6 middle engine detuned to the 375-400 hp range. And a 450 hp V8. Sounds like a nice selection.
One big reason, fuel economy. The TT-V6 I've heard would be on par with LS V8 economy. Couple that with the disappointing economy of the 2.0T (at least in the forms we have seen, 31MPG is the best it can do) and you can be sure the TT-V6 will not replace the V6. The current LFX makes more power with the same fuel economy than the 2.0T, and the proposed LGX will improve on that in all respects. GM is likely setting up the 2.0T to be the poor man's Camaro, with it being at the bottom of the price list. I personally don't believe we will see the TT-V6 in the Camaro, but if anything it would be a special option, not a replacement for any current engine.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #60
Z/284ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
One big reason, fuel economy. The TT-V6 I've heard would be on par with LS V8 economy. Couple that with the disappointing economy of the 2.0T (at least in the forms we have seen, 31MPG is the best it can do) and you can be sure the TT-V6 will not replace the V6. The current LFX makes more power with the same fuel economy than the 2.0T, and the proposed LGX will improve on that in all respects. GM is likely setting up the 2.0T to be the poor man's Camaro, with it being at the bottom of the price list. I personally don't believe we will see the TT-V6 in the Camaro, but if anything it would be a special option, not a replacement for any current engine.
I haven't been able to get any info on the LGX, other than it will be in the CTS/ATS/Camaro next year. I'd imagine it will deliver better NVH, emissions and FE than the current V6.

As I mentioned earlier, there are NO current plans for a TTV6 in the Camaro, so I guess we can talk about it in a theoretical sense, but it's not going in the Camaro. It will probably remain a Cadillac exclusive for a while.

Last edited by Z/284ever; 02-16-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #61
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There's a difference between saying he will fight for every cylinder and saying there will not be a 4 cylinder turbo.
Why don't one of you guys link the quote where someone from GM says there will be a 4 cylinder? Oh that's right, no one at GM has ever said there would be a 4 cylinder Camaro. It's entirely a fantasy of this forum.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #62
Posaune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Why don't one of you guys link the quote where someone from GM says there will be a 4 cylinder? Oh that's right, no one at GM has ever said there would be a 4 cylinder Camaro. It's entirely a fantasy of this forum.
Where is the quote stating there will be a V8?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #63
Z/284ever

Quote:
Patience. You'll have your official word on it soon enough.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #64
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
The rumor of the engine line up was posted on a bunch of forums a while back, at 2.0T 4 was one of them. Not a fantasy at all, more likely a very high probability.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #65
Z/284ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
The rumor of the engine line up was posted on a bunch of forums a while back, at 2.0T 4 was one of them. Not a fantasy at all, more likely a very high probability.
I've had more than one source confirm it to me. The 2.0T has been a done deal on the 6th gen from the very beginning. I don't know why some people find it so hard to believe.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #66
Z/284ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Where is the quote stating there will be a V8?

The only thing GM has actually admitted is that the Camaro will be built at Lansing and that it won't be heavier than the 5th gen.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #67
Posaune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post
The only thing GM has actually admitted is that the Camaro will be built at Lansing and that it won't be heavier than the 5th gen.
I know. Just making a point about GM confirming any engines publicly.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #68
Z/284ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
I know. Just making a point about GM confirming any engines publicly.
I know too. Just making a point that you have a good point.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #69
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
I just read a engine report of all the gen 5 engines already being produced by GM and there is no mention for the 7.1 or the LSA. They are Gen 4 motors. I do not think they are going to exist after 2015. All the performance engines have been moved to the Tonawanda Plant in Buffalo and attached is all the production engines there building. This reveal is going to have some twist's and turns.

Products & Production

Products:
  • Ecotec 2.0L Turbo/2.5L – Chevrolet Malibu & Impala, Buick Regal & Cadillac ATS & CTS
  • EcoTec3 4.3L V6, 5.3L V8 & 6.2L V8 – Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Pickup Trucks and Chevrolet Tahoe & Suburban, Cadillac Escalade and GMC Yukon & Yukon Denali SUVs
  • 6.2L LT1 V8 for the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (Ward's Automotive 10 Best Engine List for second consecutive year!)
  • 6.2L LT4 V8 for the 2015 Corvette Z06 and 2016 Cadillac CTS-V

2014 CY Production Total:

• Engines produced in 2014 – 610,634
  • Total engines produced since 1938 – 71,942,245
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #70
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Where is the quote saying there will not be a 4 cylinder? The only quote regarding anything similar simply says they will not follow Ford. But notice how no one has what question was asked specifically. Quotes taken out of context can mean anything, and AutoGuide does not list what they asked him. Hence why a lot of news sources have now back tracked on using his quote as proof there will be no 4 cylinder.

Ford positioned their Ecoboost above the V6. Many believe this is because Ford will move to drop the V6 altogether at a later date (V6 doesn't get Premium trim or Performance Pack, making it an absolute base car). Most believe now this is what Al was referring too. That GM will not have a turbo 4 replace the V6 and Al will fight to keep all cylinder options available. Adding a turbo 4 in addition to V6 and V8 options is not losing anything, but gaining more flexibility in sales.

Also Al's comments were made in 2013, well before Mustang actually went on sale and well before all the good press/reviews the Ecoboost Mustang received. Al is the chief engineer, not the Camaro program chief. In the end like others have said, he may not get a choice on the matter.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote