Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Care of Clear bra

So I am getting some clear bra installed (Llumar film) to be specific. The guy installing it said that they have recently figured out that you need to use only natural waxes like pure Carnauba with no petroleum based products in them. He said they have found out the petroleum based products damage the film. So I started researching but it is so confusing.

What say you guys?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Guys at the xpel HQ told me to wash the front the same as the rest of my truck (have truck done but not car). I went with their advice when cleaning the truck
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #3
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
I have Xpel Clear Bra on my ZL1. The installer told me to use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean it. I do not plan on waxing the Clear Bra itself.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Ruby, could you not find a 3M installer? I am not sure about the Llumar brand. You may get better "show quality" life from the 3M that can be healed with a 50% alcohol solution. I am no where near an expert, just know a few people.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #5
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I had Suntek installed on a white SUV over four years ago and it looks as good as the day it was put on. I wash it just like the rest of the paint, and so far have only used detail spray/wax (Meguiars) with no discoloration at all. Just my two cents :-)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
This product works great over protective paint films, as well as the rest of the entire car. It is also very very quick to do your car. One of the best products in the Blackfire line up.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-crystal-seal.html

See post 10 in this thread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...intenance.html

Here is some info on the product based on user exp.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...t-sealant.html
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The reason your installer advised against "oily" type products is because they can seep underneath the edges, raising them slightly, then you get dust and dirt under the edge, and you get a black line which looks ugly.

You can actually end up with the same thing using a wax or sealant that isn't an "oily" product, by spreading it on and going from the bare paint to the edge of the bra, when applying/removing waxes or sealants, always go from clear bra to bare paint, this prevents getting it under the edges.

Here is a good video that will help you maintain your clear bra.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
Ruby, could you not find a 3M installer? I am not sure about the Llumar brand. You may get better "show quality" life from the 3M that can be healed with a 50% alcohol solution. I am no where near an expert, just know a few people.

The Llumar is supposed to be better than 3M. He carries it too. But what do I know????
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The reason your installer advised against "oily" type products is because they can seep underneath the edges, raising them slightly, then you get dust and dirt under the edge, and you get a black line which looks ugly.

You can actually end up with the same thing using a wax or sealant that isn't an "oily" product, by spreading it on and going from the bare paint to the edge of the bra, when applying/removing waxes or sealants, always go from clear bra to bare paint, this prevents getting it under the edges.

Here is a good video that will help you maintain your clear bra.

Yeah, I saw that video in my forum search. Good info but just did not tell me about what products to use.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
This product works great over protective paint films, as well as the rest of the entire car. It is also very very quick to do your car. One of the best products in the Blackfire line up.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-crystal-seal.html

See post 10 in this thread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...intenance.html

Here is some info on the product based on user exp.

Looks like a good paint sealant. I was more thinking about something to use after washing to get that show quality shine.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...t-sealant.html
Good info everyone, but..................does anyone know of a good "natural" liquid carnauba wax product? BTW, I did not get Ruby done ....yet. She needs paint correction & some other touches done first then I'll get her clear bra. I got the new 370Z done along with ceramic window tint & some carbon fiber touches.
Save

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 10-13-2016 at 06:54 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I have had my clearbra for 5 years now, and it's on the whole front of the car. I use Adams products on it and have zero issues.

For cleaning bugs off, Adams waterless wash works great. I keep a large bottle handy on long road trips.

For your normal wash and shine, I use Adams Car wash.

I also use Adams Wax on it. Works great. There are also some manufactures that have "Clear Bra" cleaners or polishers. Adams used to make one, but no longer. I have a little left.

I do treat the clear bra like any other part of the car, but a little more careful around the edges. I wash it, polish it (by hand) and wax it. It has been on for 44k miles and still looking pretty good. The main thing, it's doing it's job for protecting against rock/debris/bugs/road grim from chipping or destroying the front of the car.

Chemical Guys also makes a "Clear Seal - Gloss Enhancer" that is specific to clear bras. I have not used it but may look into it if I need something else.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #12
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Yeah, I saw that video in my forum search. Good info but just did not tell me about what products to use.
Did you really watch it?

He says plainly that he is using a sealant, he also states before showing how to work around the edges to use this technique for sealant or wax, or whatever your using.

You can use a natural type wax if you want, these have very low durability and you'll be re-applying every month or two.

The Blackfire Crystal Seal mentioned by Nor Cal is probably the easiest sealant on the market to use on a dry surface.

The thing is, I'm sure you already own some type of wax or sealant, so just use proper technique with what you have now and you"ll be fine.

Again, the reason your installer said to avoid "oily" type products is they can seep under the edges if applied to the edge. It doesn't matter what product you use, if you push it up against the edge, it's going to get underneath it.

If petroleum was damaging to the actual clear bra itself, one drive in the rain would destroy it.

Think about it, your driving down a highway or the interstate in the rain, the cars in front of you are kicking up all the stuff that's on the road, motor oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc., all of these contain petroleum, and get on the bra when driving.

The clear bra will not fall off if it gets oil on it, or bubble up, it will survive just fine.

The 911 Singer Porsche in this video starts at $350k and can go up to close to $500k. A full wrap clear bra costs around 4-5K. Do you honestly think if the sealant could damage it in any way, that he would use it on a vehicle/bra as expensive as this?

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 10-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #13
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Did you really watch it?

He says plainly that he is using a sealant, he also states before showing how to work around the edges to use this technique for sealant or wax, or whatever your using.

You can use a natural type wax if you want, these have very low durability and you'll be re-applying every month or two.

The Blackfire Crystal Seal mentioned by Nor Cal is probably the easiest sealant on the market to use on a dry surface.

The thing is, I'm sure you already own some type of wax or sealant, so just use proper technique with what you have now and you"ll be fine.

Again, the reason your installer said to avoid "oily" type products is they can seep under the edges if applied to the edge. It doesn't matter what product you use, if you push it up against the edge, it's going to get underneath it.

If petroleum was damaging to the actual clear bra itself, one drive in the rain would destroy it.

Think about it, your driving down a highway or the interstate in the rain, the cars in front of you are kicking up all the stuff that's on the road, motor oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc., all of these contain petroleum, and get on the bra when driving.

The clear bra will not fall off if it gets oil on it, or bubble up, it will survive just fine.

The 911 Singer Porsche in this video starts at $350k and can go up to close to $500k. A full wrap clear bra costs around 4-5K. Do you honestly think if the sealant could damage it in any way, that he would use it on a vehicle/bra as expensive as this?
I agree sealant or coating over it is the way to go. The crystal seal is a huge bargain and super easy and fast to use. I coat my paint, and use crystal seal on the ppf. PPF can be coated as well depending on the coating used.

Liquid waxes are very short lived and a waste of time if applied over a corrected paint job. If your going to pay for a pro paint correction I would coat the entire car with a pro grade coating. Very easy application, and none of the time constraints of a normal coating. Apply like a paste wax, cure wipe off. Simple as that. If you can wax a car, you can use this coating.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polis...l#.WAAcaRllCBY
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #14
RubyCamaro
Jan

Sounds good. I just meant that even if I used a paint sealant, I would still probably use some sort of wax before things like car shows for that deep shine. And, yes, I watched it and appreciated the car used to demonstrate it. I'm not that much of a newb.