Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #183
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoticus.rex View Post
Just installed a set of Kook's Longtube Headers and green high performance cats on Hobbes. I have them installed at Broadview Auto Services in Warranton, Virginia. Here are a couple of pics of the install and a link to the dynotune video as well. Can't figure out how to embed a video directly.

Here is a video I took while John was dyno tuning Hobbes after the Kooks install. Topped out at 434 RWHP with a conservative street tune.

http://youtu.be/7x425EeNiH8
What clamps are you using between the header and cats? Looks clean!

Last edited by White_SS/RS; 03-01-2015 at 10:59 AM.
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #184
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
No idea on the clamps. I had Broadview Auto Services in Warrenton, Virginia do the install. The clamps either came with the headers, were stock or were provided by them.

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6

Last edited by scoticus.rex; 03-01-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: grammar police
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #185
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Aren't they the new KOOKS style?
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #186
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Are you talking about the gold clamps in the photo? Those are stock clamps. I have those on mine and reused to connect to my stainless power headers

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #187
Ryanbabz71

Got my stainless power 1-7/8" headers with cats on

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRr1p0...ature=youtu.be

Has flowmaster axle back also

Just a startup video for now

Ryan
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #188
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
I'm considering between ARH 1 7/8 long system(like the 3" X pipe) and KOOKS 1 7/8 (also considering stepped). Since I use my car on the street and road course and is 1 3/4" lower than stock, ground clearance is an issue. I have scraped the uni-body frame rails several times so the cats cannot hang below them! From some posts & pictures I have seen the KOOKS tuck up close under car. How do the ARH compare? Any advice or opinions would be helpful.
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #189
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
What clamps are you using between the header and cats? Looks clean!
Kooks uses the ball flange setup that doesn't leak at all. The coating is a great idea. I need Kooks cats like these. rockrau Both Kooks and ARH tuck up very well.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #190
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Kooks uses the ball flange setup that doesn't leak at all. The coating is a great idea. I need Kooks cats like these. rockrau Both Kooks and ARH tuck up very well.
I went with the Kooks Hi Performance Green Cats for my setup. They were very highly rates, appear to actually generate better gains than the standard Kooks Hi Performance Cats, and are 49 state emissions legal which is important when you are in the military and occasionally move from state to state.

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:39 PM   #191
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoticus.rex View Post
I went with the Kooks Hi Performance Green Cats for my setup. They were very highly rates, appear to actually generate better gains than the standard Kooks Hi Performance Cats, and are 49 state emissions legal which is important when you are in the military and occasionally move from state to state.
Stock cats are 400 cell count, regular hi flos are 200 cell count, green cats as told to me my Kooks tech are 300 cell count and don't flow as well as catless or hi flo. I am wondering if that better gain is from the bit of added restriction over catless or hi flo but not as restrictive as stock. Hmmm.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #192
pir4te
Moonshiner

Drives: Holden SS-V L77 flex fuel
Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
You will see no measurable difference going to the x-pipe. Moving the step down farther to the rear of the car will make no difference at all. No matter where it is it is still there. You would have to have a serious forced induction set up flowing a whole lot of air before anything you do behind the cats is really going to do much for you though.

So reflected acoustic waves, specifically at the second harmonic actually has no effect on scavenging at lower RPM?!
Wow, discovered a breakthrough for world Motorsport mate! Better tell Vizard and Meaux (PipeMax). So what you are declaring is the millions of dollars and dozens of whitepapers by academics and research ratified by SAE international is false, and you believe that there is no energy release when you split the double pulse from a dual plane crank, and even at the correct calculated length to reflect back into chamber at the second (or third) harmonic that sonic waves have no measurable effect on clearing spent gas?
Seemed to work for the world so far, pray tell how tuning of sonic / supersonic waves has no effect (x-pipes, don't work), and cutting edge header / exhaust design is all about flow (CFM).

Last edited by pir4te; 03-01-2015 at 05:05 PM.
pir4te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #193
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Got my stainless power 1-7/8" headers with cats on

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRr1p0...ature=youtu.be

Has flowmaster axle back also

Just a startup video for now

Ryan
Hey Ryan, could you please do me a favor and take a few pictures of the clearance to the steering shaft from the stainless headers? I would appreciate a few pictures please with something in reference or a measure of how much clearance there is. My biggest worry with these headers is the steering shaft clearance and not having any thermal insulation to it. Anybody have pictures of other headers and how they clear the steering shaft? Would appreciate it!!By the way, anybody know who else might sell Tri-Y headers since the Pfadt ones are pretty much impossible to get anymore?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #194
Ryanbabz71

I will see what I can do. I did not have to disconnect the steering shaft install if that helps also didn't notice any rub.

Ryan
Old 03-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #195
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pir4te View Post
So reflected acoustic waves, specifically at the second harmonic actually has no effect on scavenging at lower RPM?!
Wow, discovered a breakthrough for world Motorsport mate! Better tell Vizard and Meaux (PipeMax). So what you are declaring is the millions of dollars and dozens of whitepapers by academics and research ratified by SAE international is false, and you believe that there is no energy release when you split the double pulse from a dual plane crank, and even at the correct calculated length to reflect back into chamber at the second (or third) harmonic that sonic waves have no measurable effect on clearing spent gas?
Seemed to work for the world so far, pray tell how tuning of sonic / supersonic waves has no effect (x-pipes, don't work), and cutting edge header / exhaust design is all about flow (CFM).
Context is everything. In general, yes, x-pipes do produce gains over an H-pipe. But after working with the 5th Gen Camaro for over 5 years now we have never seen an x-pipe alone produce gains measurable on a dyno over the stock H-pipe. It is kind of a fluke that it doesn't but it is what it is. And the step down being discussed was not in the context of a properly engineered stepped header that is designed to assist in exhaust scavenging. He was asking about restriction if he reduced his cat back pipe diameter at one location versus another. Yes, there is probably a sweet spot you could put it in to pull out a few more horsepower but that is not what he was asking about or even looking to do. It was a naturally aspirated street car, not a max effort build. He had two bolt together locations he was consider. No careful measurement and testing or fabrication.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #196
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
By the way, anybody know who else might sell Tri-Y headers since the Pfadt ones are pretty much impossible to get anymore?
No one else makes a set worth getting but the Pfadt Tri-Ys will be available again soon.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works