Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
phusebox

Drives: Camaro
Should I be concerned about buying a new Camaro with ~200 miles? (bought, pic on p.5)

Hey all, I found the (almost) perfect Camaro that I would like to purchase. It's a white 2017 2SS and I absolutely love the car. My only concern is the mileage. When I test drove it, all seemed normal, but when the salesman asked if there was any gas before the test drive, I noticed the car had half a tank. To me, this was very unusual for a new car. I'm more used to ~20 miles in the tank before empty. I forgot to check the mileage, so I called them and they told me the car has 171 miles on it.

Should I be worried about the mileage on the car? I'm coming from a Toyota Camry, and the first thing I did when testing out the car was hit the gas petal a few times to get some of that intoxicating acceleration. I'm worried that the car was driven hard for the 171 miles. From what I've read, it sounds like performance cars should be driven respectfully until the engine, trans, etc., are properly broken in. Alternatively, I've read people say these components are properly tested and broken in at the factory. Do I have reason to be concerned, or am I just being paranoid? This is my first sports car so I'm extra worried about how it was treated (as opposed to the Camry, which has been mechanically bulletproof so far).

I checked the window sticker and it's at the same dealership that Chevrolet originally delivered it to, so it was not a dealer transfer. Just wanted your guys' opinion as Camaro owners.
phusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Ask to have a tech pull the ECU history of the 200 miles, you can tell how it was run.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
phusebox

Drives: Camaro
Is there anything specific I should ask or look for? I know the dealer will just say "Yeah we'll have someone take a look" then 5 minutes later "ok everything looks fine, nothing to worry about". I don't have a lot of experience dealing with car salesmen, but from what I've read and seen firsthand, they'll say anything to get you to buy the car.
phusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I wouldn't worry about it, I bought my 1LE with 150 miles on it...it now has 2500, no problems, and I drove it "harder" than the manual says I should have for first 1500. Not by much, but it's hard to keep these cars under 4000RPM...they are just too damn fun. I have no oil burning issues, no issues at all actually. After 1500 Miles, I've been beating on it pretty good, launches and hard accelerations all day, every day.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Ask to have a tech pull the ECU history of the 200 miles, you can tell how it was run.

+1

Best advice ever lol

Someone could have redline the crap out it and abuse it..
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Ask politely for a "used car" price.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I have not seen The report from GM, but seen plenty of others. They usually will show you how much RPM the engine spend at each thousand mark , in other words 47% of the time it was between 1000 and 1500 30% of the time it was 2000 or 3000, etc etc

what you're looking for is a rather large percent of time In the mid range (good) and how many times did hit the Rev limiter (bad) , or spent time above 5000 RPM. It is a hard copy report, it's not something you have to take the tech's word for it.

That all being said, don't get paranoid. This car can certainly take a few burnouts and still be a perfectly good car.

Here's a run report on my Mercury Verado 300 engine when new:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Captain Obvious
^Name^ | Things I Say -->

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible, Hyper Blue
There is a school of thought that says running a new engine hard a little bit is actually a good thing. My 2016 2ss had about 200 miles on it. I think it was used for a parade or three. 6000 miles now and no oil consumption or any other problems to speak of.

I wasn't worried about it, and I wouldn't suggest that you should be either.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
There is a school of thought that says running a new engine hard a little bit is actually a good thing. My 2016 2ss had about 200 miles on it. I think it was used for a parade or three. 6000 miles now and no oil consumption or any other problems to speak of.

I wasn't worried about it, and I wouldn't suggest that you should be either.
To each of their own for pushing the car right away.. I know I wouldn't want a car that has been redlined and abused since improper shifting, etc can also be involved.

The you have an issue with the motor, take it in to GM they run the ECU and blame you for abuse. More of a headache than what I want to deal with.

If there was abuse and the OP still wants the car, get everything noted and accounted for in writing.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #10
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I wouldn't buy a car with that many miles without a discount or really good reason. It's no different than a used car you're buying for a new car price.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #11
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
The SS I test drove recently had a couple hundred on it too. But it was noticeably stumbling at idle. Drove fine, but my car doesn't have that violent of a stumble. I wouldn't have purchased it. If you can, drive a different car and see if they were the same.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
Does the gas pedal have a lot of wear on it?

E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #13
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Follow Glen's advice. Then remember you still get the full warranty. Personally if the report comes back and it isn't that bad 200 miles really isn't much to worry about.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
It'll be fine. I bought mine with 150 miles on it and I'm sure it was run hard prior to me buying it. It now has about 4,300 on it which includes a lot of track day time and it is running flawlessly and doesn't burn a drop of oil.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote